Gwent ToA, WTF did I just read?

+

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Gwent ToA, WTF did I just read?

ToA: Terms of Agreement... you know those documents that no one reads, where it states that if your computer blows up, the devs cannot be held responsible. Let's look at Gwent's ToA. I've highlighted some parts, for your pleasure.

First off:

9.19 Be nice! Do not do or say anything that is or may be considered racist, harassing, xenophobic, sexist, discriminatory, abusive, defamatory or otherwise offensive or illegal. This applies especially in any communications between users. Be nice to each other, please!

The Funny Part

3.1 If you are between 13 and 18 [...] please ask your parent or guardian to review and approve this Agreement on your behalf, plus they should supervise your use of Gwent. (User note: yeaaaahhh, no)

7.1 Yes, this will eventually mean card nerfs – they are part of keeping the game alive and fresh. As part of these patches, updates or changes, we may need to impose limits on, or remove/restrict access to, certain game features (without notice or liability). We need these rights in order to keep Gwent running efficiently. (User note: they actually used the term "nerf")

9.1 Personal enjoyment. Only use Gwent for your personal enjoyment and not for any commercial or political purposes. (User note: how can I even use it for political purposes?)

14.3 CD PROJEKT RED, its affiliates, partners and licensors shall not be liable for any indirect, consequential, incidental, special, punitive or exemplary damages or any other damages [...]. This includes if you suffer damage because you cannot use GWENT (either temporarily or permanently). (User note: Can I still sue CDPR for destroying my social life?)

16.1 Neither of us will be liable to the other [...] due to Force Majeure. [...] including [...] nuclear accident or acts of God, war or terrorist activity, riot, civil commotion, malicious damage [...] (User note: does that include the RNG Gods? Because I would like to have a word with them)

Summary 1: Gwent will be released in beta initially. Beta versions will not be complete and we are not responsible for what happens while you're using them. Fear not, they should not blow up your computer! (User note: thanks for acknowledging that)

Summary 2: If unforeseen events beyond your or our control occur (alien attack, Godzilla, etc) then neither of us will be liable to the other for any obligations, which can't be performed. (User note: Godzilla)

The Serious Part

4.1 Between closed beta and open beta, we may perform one or more complete server/progress reset(s). After the reset, your user account will likely go back to its starting state (subject to any amendments we might make as part of the beta). Any Virtual Goods or Virtual Currency (defined below) which you purchased prior to such a reset will at our discretion either be transferred across or we will reimburse you with equivalent Virtual Goods or Virtual Currency. No cash refunds will be provided in connection with any reset.

6.2 Monitoring. In order to prevent cheating and other things prohibited by Section 9 below and to protect the integrity of Gwent and enforce this Agreement, we may deploy anti-cheat and/or other software tools that run in the background of your device or related devices/peripherals when you use Gwent.

11.3 You have no property interest or right or title in any Virtual Goods or Virtual Currency, which remain CD PROJEKT RED’s property. CD PROJEKT RED reserves the right to reverse, change or amend Virtual Goods or Virtual Currency transactions or other matters if necessary to protect Gwent. (User note: So the devs can do whatever they want with our money)

11.5 Virtual Goods and Virtual Currency do not expire, but we reserve the right to change or amend that if necessary. We are not obliged to provide Virtual Goods or Virtual Currency to you.

Closing Words

Don't get me wrong. I do not disagree with or protest against the highlighted points. I just wanted to share them.

Last edited:
OK, that’s done. Hello! We are CD PROJEKT RED, part of CD PROJEKT S.A., and we make games – you might have heard about The Witcher series, that’s us.
I've always enjoyed the REDs' sense of humour.
If unforeseen events beyond your or our control occur (war, earthquake, gigantic flood, alien attack, Godzilla, etc. - ok the last two are jokes), then neither of us will be liable to the other for any obligations, which can't be performed.
Notice that only the last two are jokes? So, although we needn't worry about Godzilla or etc. (though a wandering etc. can still be quite devastating), an alien attack remains a real possibility. Heh.

Last edited:
Well with a few billion planets in our galaxy alone it would be silly to completely rule out the possibility of hostile extra-terrestrial action by filthy heretical xenos.

usual EULA as in most online games,with a big dose of humorous CDPR flavor! got to love this one :).

actually, there are very few (if any) cases of TOAs holding in court when their practices go against consumer protection laws... so in the end, it's all meaningless.

Top Bottom