Gwent Unplayable Cards

+
Yes, I personally think the card is fine in its current form, the idea of reworking a card completely is what I have a problem with. If a card has to change, I prefer provision and power changes instead of totally reworking cards that are kinda interesting.
While I agree that changing acard’s core properties should be a last resort, it is possible for a card to be unfixible any other way. For example, a card with a deploy ability: “Win match with x% probability, otherwise lose match.” will be a bad card no matter how you tweak its parameters. It may be arguable that no current cards are bad enough to justify a complete rework (although I would look really hard at Cahir and Viy), but I think it unreasonable to assert that core card abilities should never change.

While I agree that changing acard’s core properties should be a last resort, it is possible for a card to be unfixible any other way. For example, a card with a deploy ability: “Win match with x% probability, otherwise lose match.” will be a bad card no matter how you tweak its parameters. It may be arguable that no current cards are bad enough to justify a complete rework (although I would look really hard at Cahir and Viy), but I think it unreasonable to assert that core card abilities should never change.
Viy and Cahir definitively fall under that category. Cahir could be just slightly reworked to make him less binary and extreme but Viy in itself is a dull design, it's just "play and consume this one single card as many times as you can". They could reduce the numbers on Viy and make it not OP, just reduce the starting power by 2 and the growth amount by 1. Then it wouldn't be broken but it would still be an incredibly boring way to play (I think). :]

As for Cahir, here's what I would do:
Instead of row locking him, make him have two different effects for each row:
Ranged: Every time an enemy is boosted, boost self by half that amount (minimum 1 boost to self)
Front: Every time an enemy is boosted, damage a random enemy by half that amount (minimum 1 damage).
(Rounded to a lower number if tis not an even number)

This is wayyyy better then what we have now I think, just give him 1 or 2 more armor to make him less vulnerable to dying and it's set.

Bonus: by choosing the damage row he won't be going tall and thus you can't get robbed of the value via reset or hard removal; Now you get some effect regardless of the row and you can pick which row to go for.
Con: you're not COMPLETELY NEGATING the existence of boosts and if you have an ounce of honor you'll feel better about yourself for not cheesing it completely.
And STILL It would be a pretty damn powerful card! Stuff like Visigotta or any boost that happens 1 by 1 point (like thrive) is STILL completely negated...
Actually... maybe he'd still be too powerful (the damage option is still scary)... not sure.

PS: Increase the power on Yennifer: Conjurer, up to 6 (from 5), I mean for a 10 provision card that sees almost no play - it would be fair, especially since some cards like madlad Iddaran of Ulivo is 6 power AND has an arguably much stronger effect and is 2 prov cheaper.

Last edited:
Viy and Cahir definitively fall under that category. Cahir could be just slightly reworked to make him less binary and extreme but Viy in itself is a dull design, it's just "play and consume this one single card as many times as you can". They could reduce the numbers on Viy and make it not OP, just reduce the starting power by 2 and the growth amount by 1. Then it wouldn't be broken but it would still be an incredibly boring way to play (I think). :]

Regarding Viy. Actually when I played Viy I was not so successful with her. You can outnumber a Viy deck with Movement or Vyso+Dandelion for instance. And the best counter is stealing Viy with NG (for some reason my Alchemist always pulled Viy) and of course Yrden.

Nevertheless I would also appreciate some changes.
Viy: Power 10, provisions 12
Adrenaline 3: Deathwish Shuffle Viy back to your deck then increase its base power by 3.
-> The initial power is increased by 2, but Viy gets an Adrenaline nerf as all the other new WotW best fraction cards have

Whispering Hillock
Play a Deathwish unit having a power of 10 or lower from your deck.
-> So you can basically tutor all the Deathwish unit but Viy only if it has not triggered her Deathwish before.

Epidemic ... I miss that card. Would like to see it restored to its former glory, but then you would have to get rid of SK and NR because their swarm BS would be ruined (which I am totally fine with for the record). But maybe tie it with adrenaline somehow. Like destroy units with power equal to the number of cards in your hand. Something like that... Then at least it could be made a bit more useful, but you don't have to worry about it killing a board full of 4 or 5 point units on the last card. You would have to balance when to play it on order to get the most value... Even then it still might brick 90% of the time, But at least it would be interesting to try to work in and play around.

I have also heard it mentioned that maybe it destroys tokens somehow, that would be nice too.

Epidemic ... I miss that card. Would like to see it restored to its former glory, but then you would have to get rid of SK and NR because their swarm BS would be ruined (which I am totally fine with for the record). But maybe tie it with adrenaline somehow. Like destroy units with power equal to the number of cards in your hand. Something like that... Then at least it could be made a bit more useful, but you don't have to worry about it killing a board full of 4 or 5 point units on the last card. You would have to balance when to play it on order to get the most value... Even then it still might brick 90% of the time, But at least it would be interesting to try to work in and play around.

I have also heard it mentioned that maybe it destroys tokens somehow, that would be nice too.
You know that Blizzard (formerly know as White Frost) did get reworked in to the old Epidemic Card, right?
IMG_20210106_185214.jpg

But I agree that the current Epidemic Card is completely useless, they should probably change it to destroy a bronze Card no matter it's provision cost and increase epidemics provision cost instead, wouldn't exactly see much play either but it would at least be somewhat playable.

PS: Increase the power on Yennifer: Conjurer, up to 6 (from 5), I mean for a 10 provision card that sees almost no play - it would be fair, especially since some cards like madlad Iddaran of Ulivo is 6 power AND has an arguably much stronger effect and is 2 prov cheaper.
And ALSO give her some conditioned (or unconditioned) zeal, in any case she's way too powercrept now... not worth the 10 Provs deff.

Ok now my other suggestion:
Add a status called "frost-resistance" (it makes a unit immune to frost damage) and give it to Winter Queen, Wild Hunt Hound and the Ice Giant.

Also for the Ice Giant give the following effect:
If there is Frost on any enemy row add 1 armor to this unit on the end of your turn.
Barricade: Boost this unit by 1.

You could also invent something like Poison-resistance and add it to some Constructs or insectoids. :D

Or even lock-resistance and add it to some specific rarer units. :)

Last edited:
Kelltullis was widely used in recent Gwent Masters. (with Ciri)

Vesemir: Mentor is played in current meta witchers decks.

Bekkers Rockslide is still viable in multi-special cards decks like ST for Harald

There are some other cards that are fine, although crushed by current meta, like Isabel or Xrathisius, that are still viable for hyperthin , however the entire archetype is quite weak compared to SK or MO pointslam right now. Even with addition of Kolgrim.

I mostly agree on other issues, especially artefacts - being useless.
Perhaps thats why devs put that 2 reward points quest for them.

Crows Eye - with all the locks going around, this card should be buffed to either boost by 4 or to cost 3 provisions. Idk why don't we have 3 provision cards... some would definitively qualify to be worth 3.

rrc

Forum veteran
Crows Eye - with all the locks going around, this card should be buffed to either boost by 4 or to cost 3 provisions. Idk why don't we have 3 provision cards... some would definitively qualify to be worth 3.
Isn't your argument oxymoronic in this case? You say Crow's Eye is useful in this meta (and in any meta in which NG is even remotely viable) and still say it is not worth 4P and want it to be buffed..

Or give her some conditioned zeal, in any case she's way too powercrept now... not worth the 10 Provs deff.

Ok now my other suggestion:
Add a status called "frost-resistance" (it makes a unit immune to frost damage) and give it to Queen of Frost, Wild Hunt Hound and the Ice Giant.

Also for the Ice Giant give the following effect:
If there is Frost on any enemy row add 1 armor to this unit on the end of your turn.
Barricade: Boost this unit by 1.

You could also invent something like Poison-resistance and add it to some Constructs or insectoids. :D

Or even lock-resistance and add it to any non NG unit. :)

Well, back in the day when weather was cool and it affected both sides of the board, there were units with resistance - there were even units that were strengthened by being under the weather - I used to love weather in Gwent, it's really lame now. I think it interfered with those big point slams and swarms that the devs are apparently infatuated with so they nerfed it into oblivion :)

As for the rest, you're basically describing "Veil" :)

Well, back in the day when weather was cool and it affected both sides of the board, there were units with resistance - there were even units that were strengthened by being under the weather - I used to love weather in Gwent, it's really lame now. I think it interfered with those big point slams and swarms that the devs are apparently infatuated with so they nerfed it into oblivion :)

As for the rest, you're basically describing "Veil" :)
It's not like Veil, Veil negates all statuses, including Vitality, Poison, Lock, Shield, Bleeding, Bounty, Rupture, Spying, Doomed and sorry if I missed any (and they may invent some more statuses in the future)... Now I think it's obvious how negating only specific 1 status is fairly different to negating 9 different statuses.
Post automatically merged:

Isn't your argument oxymoronic in this case? You say Crow's Eye is useful in this meta (and in any meta in which NG is even remotely viable) and still say it is not worth 4P and want it to be buffed..
Not quite. If they can have amazing locks then we should have decent purifies. They can play 3-5 points + armor in addition to their lock then we should have a purify that can match that. Also a lock is proactive and thus almost always useful vs any faction while a purify is only vs NG and otherwise it's a waste, making it binary but not even good binary where it's amazing or pathetic, this is just half-decent or pathetic.

Last edited:
I heard a certain fellow gwent-named McBeard, some many moons ago, talk about a neutral Dire Wolf card which could spawn and play a Wolf Pack or something similar.

I would like to meet this Dire Wolf card.

Hello

I remember a while back i watched a video of gwent developers saying that they want gwent to be unique by not giving it any filler cards. and that they will make the patch notes different that other card games as they will buff all the weak cards instead of nerfing the few strong cards. and that really was the case back in the days but now there are a huge amount of cards that seems as a filler/unplayable. in this thread i will list the competitively unplayable cards and suggest a fix to show the amount of potential this game has without adding new expansions. Ofcourse i dont expect you to do all fix all these cards but 20 of them per month would be a good start.

So i counted 109 unplayable mostly gold cards that some of them are straight up fillers and others are just way too weak. this amount of cards is even more than the upcoming master mirror expansion. if you fix these cards then there will be alot of possiblities and meta changes that will happen in this meta to keep it fresh. also one thing i noticed is that most of the unplayable cards are neutral cards. and i think i know the reason. its because of the leader abilities lock on their specific faction. for example NR leader ability there are 9 faction locked leader abilities. if unlock them then alot of neutral cards will be playable and even competetive. hell you can even unlock some new decks like bandits or witchers once more. i know there are plans to fix some of them in the future but i will just ignore them to list the problems that we face now because i dont know for sure if they will be fixed or not. however i didnt list spycards cus they said that they wil lfix it for sure.

here are the 109 unplayable cards that need to be fixed:

Trap cards: 11 cards: litterly no play except for crushing trap and sometimes mahakam horn: solution is to add more trap synergy in the next expantion

phoenix: i see some poeple experiment with it but its way too weak for its cost

Keltullis: this card doesnt work in this meta and if there is a meta where this card will work then it will be cancer to play against. so you might as well just change what it does.

Hanmarvyn's blue dream: i can see a world where assimilate can play it but it just costs way too much

weather cards: 14 cards: no play because there is no synergy with it. it is just pure damage. and row damage cards such us lacerate are way more efficient that any weather, sollution is to add units that can benefit from weathers would be cool if you change weather cards to be like yugi oh feild cards. like each weather will affect the entire board and benefit certain unit types and harm other unit types.

Most of boost/damage artifacts:9 cards: yeah they can be cancer in no units decks but i think you can manage to make them playable without making cancer no units cards.maybe make afrtifacts last for 2 or 3 rounds so that people have to play units and use the artifacts instead of stacking them for last round.

Dandelion Poet: entirely change the ability

Vernon Roach: it is way too Rng based and most of the times its not worth the 12 provitions. maybe increase its power and make it choose 2 bronze cards to play

Syanna: it can be a very powerful card but its just way too squishy

siggi reven: nerfed too hard

U'mas curse: -1 provision and it will be good for assimilate

Collution: it can be very strong with more synergy

Primorial D'ao: this is a filler card

Dragons:5 cards: they are very well balanced cards but they lack synergy.

Triss:butterflies too expensive for boosting a random card. it has to be played when you only have 1 unit if uwant to use it efficiently which makes it very expensive for a very specific use. maybe make it 9 provision and even then you still wont see much play

ciri:nova change ability

aguara: true form: -1 provision

manticore venom: -1 provision

firesworn zealots: 6 cards that are not seeing play others are good in hybrid decks. jsut buff those 6 cards to make it a viable deck

igor the hook: maybe -1 fee?

Xarthisius: -1 provision

Stregobor: -2 provision

Triss marigold+ yennefer: divination: either change ability or -1 or 2 provision

mage NR synergies: 5 cards no compettitive play others see some play: make more mage synergy. maybe mage leader ability

Gaunter O'dimm: Maraal does it better

Dandilion: vainglory: win game if you play against beasts or lose game if you dont play vs beasts: change ability

the sausage maker: -2 provision

Iris: shade: win game if you play against heavy armor or lose game if you dont play vs heavy armor: change ability

Collosal ifrit: -1 cooldown

Enraged Ifrit: filler card

Vesemir: mentor: witchers too expensive and weak

Regis: bloodlust: - 1 provision

Bandit synergy cards: 15 cards: TBH bandits kind of look like a filler cards

Angouleme: Another filler

Marigold's hailstrom + commanders horn: filler cards

Prophet lebioda+ sukrus: same card same trash: -2 provision cost - 1 power

ciri dash: -1 turns or -1 provision

shiralds fits oesterlen: change ability

shetroll of vergen: -1 provision

gregolie de gargon: -1 provision

walter veritas: change this expensive RNG ability

the last wish: maybe dont banish the other card? no one wants to lose a valuable card if he gets both gold cards

bekkers dark mirror: very expensive reset: -3 provision

trail of the grasess: -1 provision

Mandrake: another expensive reset: -3 provision

Wolfsbane: filler

bekkers rockslide: change ability

glorios hunt: filler

sabrinas inferno: it can be very good card if there were spectre deck: sadly there isnt enough spectre synergy

Vendergrifts blade: -1 provision and even then there is not enough knight synergy

olgeird von eviric: -2 proision

Frienzied D'ao: its a filler as long as bomber exist

holgiered blackhand: not enough synergy

Crew cards: 4 unplayablecards: need some buffs

iris von everic: - 1 provision: still not playable if no weatehr decks

thaler: -1 provision

Iris companion: even if you have only 1 card there is still 50% chance that you wil ldestroy the unit that u chose: change ability

saski: pavko gale does it better: change ability

isbel of hagge: - 1 provision

xavier lemmness: either make him banish all graveyard and -1 provision or just change ability

Ciri: give her 2 armor

Unicorn+chironix: filler

tourny shaelmar: -1 provision

Murleiga +Etreil: -1 provision

boris: +1 power

eskel+vesimer+lambert: -2 provision or -1 provision and +1 power

saer qu'an -1 provision

dudu: -1 provision

hym+ -1 provision

Necromany: -1 provision

resupply: 5 cards: a bit too weak to be played

cynthia: make it spawn in a random place instead of on top. cus they can just mulligan it if it was on top

lady of the lake: -1 provision

Dulla khamani + runewright: make it creat a golden card

False ciri: change the ranged ability

ceallach dyffryn: filler

eskel: pathfinder: -2 provision -1 power

vlodimir von everec: filler

vlfhedin: -1 provision or change ability

giant boar: -1 provision

derran: -1 provision

viper witcher: +2 power

Do you think the Devs actually listen and read posts? If they actually gave half a arse you'd not have this problem. For.. ever. They should learn a thing or two from Starcraft 2 balancing. They actually BUFF units that arn't being played. .. something too advanced for them to consider. LOL

Do you think the Devs actually listen and read posts? If they actually gave half a arse you'd not have this problem. For.. ever. They should learn a thing or two from Starcraft 2 balancing. They actually BUFF units that arn't being played. .. something too advanced for them to consider. LOL
That is exactly what they've been doing in the past year. A significant amount of unused card received moderate buffs in the previous patches, with considerable effect. NG being back in the game is a prime example.

Suggestion for some cards to make them somewhat useful:

Dethmold:
Order: Give Rupture to an enemy unit.
If you have 2 or more mages on your side, gain Zeal.

Sile de Tanserville:
Same as before but add the following: Whenever you play a Spell, refresh the order ability
Also give her 1 more armor or shield to increase her survivability by a tiny bit.

Zoria runesteone:
Just change the tag from Alchemy to Spell so then it might have some synergy with mages. :)

Keira Metz:
I don't have any interesting ideas atm but at least make her cost less provisions.
Ok I just had an idea:
Reduce power to 2, then add effect: Deploy: Play a Spell card from your deck.
Boost self by 2 whenever you play a spell.

Ban Ard Tutor:
Boost a unit by 2, if it's a Mage boost it by 4 instead.

Suggestion for some cards to make them somewhat useful:

Dethmold:
Order: Give Rupture to an enemy unit.
If you have 2 or more mages on your side, gain Zeal.

Actually I like the idea of a mage power booster. But my mage focused decks where never really competitive.
Would suggest the following

Deploy: If you have 2 or mages on your side, gain Zeal.
Order (Range): Give Rupture to an enemy unit.
Order (Melee): Boost all allied Mages by 1.

Sile de Tanserville:
Same as before but add the following: Whenever you play a Spell, refresh the order ability
Also give her 1 more armor or shield to increase her survivability by a tiny bit.

Hmmh....she is currently a 8 for 7. She is definitely an option in the Revenant deck. If she is boosted by that her provision must be increased

Zoria runesteone:

Just change the tag from Alchemy to Spell so then it might have some synergy with mages. :)

All those runestone are Alchemy. Would not suggest to make a difference for NR.
What I think is that Cintrian Enchantress should maybe receive a small buff. Would add: Whenever you play an Alchemy card gain one vitality.
To be honest currently those Runestones only have limited use but make some sense for specific fractions:
- Dazhbog Runestone for NG assimilate
- Stribog Runestone Alchemy synergies (Crow Clan preacher)
- Why does SY not have their rune stone?

Keira Metz:

I don't have any interesting ideas atm but at least make her cost less provisions.
Ok I just had an idea:
Reduce power to 2, then add effect: Deploy: Play a Spell card from your deck.
Boost self by 2 whenever you play a spell.

She can be great into Tridam Infrantist and into Nathaniel Pastodi, but she is still way to expensive for her low tempo.

Ban Ard Tutor:

Boost a unit by 2, if it's a Mage boost it by 4 instead.

-> Would increase the mage boost even to 5 in days we have so many conditional 7 for 4.

To be honest currently those Runestones only have limited use but make some sense for specific fractions:
- Dazhbog Runestone for NG assimilate
- Stribog Runestone Alchemy synergies (Crow Clan preacher)
- Why does SY not have their rune stone?

Don't forget ST. Their runestone is particularly useful in the Nature's Gift / Harald finisher deck, though a bit of a gamble. It can potentially create an additional symbiosis unit or bronze special. Added bonus if it creates a bronze special with the Nature tag.

Don't forget ST. Their runestone is particularly useful in the Nature's Gift / Harald finisher deck, though a bit of a gamble. It can potentially create an additional symbiosis unit or bronze special. Added bonus if it creates a bronze special with the Nature tag.

Hehe...never tried in my symbiosis deck. Do not know whether gambling make sense in a deck whose success heavily depends on consitency.
Having Symbiosis units, nature cards and large row benefitters (Gezras, Great Oak) in the right time. Having one special more or less for Harald appears not to be game changing.

Actually I like the idea of a mage power booster. But my mage focused decks where never really competitive.
Would suggest the following

Deploy: If you have 2 or mages on your side, gain Zeal.
Order (Range): Give Rupture to an enemy unit.
Order (Melee): Boost all allied Mages by 1.

Hmmh....she is currently a 8 for 7. She is definitely an option in the Revenant deck. If she is boosted by that her provision must be increased

-> Would increase the mage boost even to 5 in days we have so many conditional 7 for 4.
She is 8 for 7 but then you even suggest making Ban Ard Tutor a conditional 7 for 4 :p
Do you see my point? I mean I play a gold 8 for 7p and then comes along SK playing easy bronze 8s (Bear witchers, An Kraite Raider, Drummond Berserker, maybe even set yourself up for a 10 power Mentor why not) for 5 provisions or even worse a ST Mahakam Guard (4 provisions) that plays for 10+ points, and I just feel silly... xD

I like your idea for Dethmold! Would be a very good card then.
Though I'd reverse the ranged/front row conditions as usually an offensive ability is for the front row while a defensive/buff ability is for the ranged row.

I used to combine that one with Elf Sage back in the early summer of 2020. :)

I must add the staple of the downtrotten "Charges" archetypes: Aretuza Adept.

This card is 5 provisions yet it's ability to give you value is below some 4 provision cards.
The simplest comparison is to (within the same faction) the Griffin Witcher Adept, this guy is 4 provisions and essentially a 2 point per turn engine WITH A SHIELD, and this shield keeps being reapplied to each copy always, so it's also giving shields in addition to giving points, he also isn't row locked (obviously)
Meanwhile Aretuza Adept IS row locked and can only give 1 charge per turn, on cooldown, and is inherently an inferior card compared to most other (5 prov) cards. With this in mind I ask for a buff to this card! Either buff it to be in league with other modern 5 provision cards or reduce it's cost to 4 provisions though even then it would be arguably one of the more bad 4 provision cards.

Also to bring Griffin Witcher Adept into line of value with other 4 provision cards, I suggest making his shield tied to the [Deploy] tag so that while the 1st one you put down will have it, the upcoming transformed ones won't, this I think is a fine compromise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom