Gwent vs Adventure Game

+
Gwent vs Adventure Game

Since I now own both, I started them just to see how they play, but card games are not exactly my style. I am curious, though, how they compare. Adventure game seems to have a story mode, but beyond that, what are the similarities and differences worth mentioning between the two?

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
The Witcher Adventure Game (WAG) has nothing to do with Gwent. WAG is a digitalized version of the Witcher board game. Gwent is a Collectible Card Game. There is also a physical version of Gwent based on the original Gwent in The Witcher 3, which is completely different from the new online Gwent.

For those who may not know this already, on final release, Gwent will have a story mode, which will contain several single-player campaigns. Last I heard, each campaign will be 10 hours or more in length, and these will be available for purchase as DLCs. I've no idea whether this mode will in any way resemble The Witcher Adventure Game (link for those who may wonder what this title is).

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Riven-Twain;n8006590 said:
Last I heard, each campaign will be 10 hours or more in length

10 hours? How in Radovid's name are the devs gonna fill 10 hours!? You would have to play like 60 matches. What? Are they going to host a single player tournament with 61 opponents, ladder style?

4RM3D;n8007020 said:
10 hours? How in Radovid's name are the devs gonna fill 10 hours!?
Aha! Wouldn't this be a wonderful opportunity for REDDorigen to come swooping in from the shadows, to tease us all with some tantalising hints?

However, based on the very limited information that has been released so far, I can only assume there will be a bit more than simply playing lots and lots of cards. I've read that there may be exploration (some sort of world map), secrets to find, quests to complete, decision-making, consequences, and quite a bit of voice-acting. From what I gather, the campaigns will be actual stories, which will somehow incorporate playing Gwent in the process. I wish I knew more, but, so far, the REDs are keeping any further details rather well hidden behind the curtain.

A fairly good overview of what we know so far may be found in this
Gamespot Article from E3 2016.

4RM3D;n8007020 said:
10 hours? How in Radovid's name are the devs gonna fill 10 hours!? You would have to play like 60 matches. What? Are they going to host a single player tournament with 61 opponents, ladder style?
Probably with story during a game, meaning the opponent ''talks'' about what he is going to do, and/or interacts in someway with your character, kind of like in Infinity Wars.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Riven-Twain;n8007190 said:
I've read that there may be exploration (some sort of world map)

How awesome would it be if they actually reused The Witcher III and you can walk around from contestant to contestant. I know, that's not gonna happen, even though they already have all resources in place.

4RM3D;n8007210 said:
How awesome would it be if they actually reused The Witcher III and you can walk around from contestant to contestant.
I would suspect they've created a new map, or perhaps maps -- probably in a different art style -- for these campaigns. Judging from the scattered hints, it seems that thorough exploration of the map will be a productive aspect of the game. Also, one of the interviews suggests that the stories may be told from the perspective of faction leaders, who may be travelling about, gathering forces (in the form of cards) for their armies. However, since these details were from last year, and evidently still very much in development, the REDs may have changed the design.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Let's wait and see. I am skeptical of competitive games with limited gameplay (including Fighting Games, MOBA's and CCG's) to have any meaningful singleplayer campaign. But this is CDPR we're talking about. So if anyone would be able to pull it off, it would be them.

4RM3D;n8007280 said:
Let's wait and see. I am skeptical of competitive games with limited gameplay (including Fighting Games, MOBA's and CCG's) to have any meaningful singleplayer campaign.
I believe more than a few people share this scepticism, especially those players who enjoyed the other Witcher games, and who were perhaps a bit surprised (or dismayed) that Gwent would be the next project. I often have the impression that certain members of the community are silently waiting in the shadows, watching CDPR with cautious optimism.
But this is CDPR we're talking about. So if anyone would be able to pull it off, it would be them.
Precisely, thus the cautious optimism.

Our goal with single player campaigns is to tell more quality stories from The Witcher universe first and foremost - for us it's much more than just an additional game mode for free to play game, it's an opportunity to tell different kinds of stories and to explore different forms of narrative. Our team includes experienced writers and designers who worked on TW3, and we're all excited to work on it.

I hope that you'll enjoy it as much as we enjoy making it. Stay tuned for more details. :)

REDDorigen;n8017320 said:
Our goal with single player campaigns is to tell more quality stories from The Witcher universe first and foremost - for us it's much more than just an additional game mode for free to play game, it's an opportunity to tell different kinds of stories and to explore different forms of narrative. Our team includes experienced writers and designers who worked on TW3, and we're all excited to work on it.
201.gif

EDIT: ^That's my happy jump. Truly excited for the stories in Gwent SP.

Last edited:
Thanks for the hints!
REDDorigen;n8017320 said:
it's an opportunity to tell different kinds of stories and to explore different forms of narrative.
Intriguing. . . . Obviously, we can't go into many details yet, but can you reveal in what ways the form of these stories will differ in general from those in Witcher III? Do you think players from the previous games will be surprised?

Top Bottom