Gwent's Archetype Problem With Faction Specific Cards

+
Gwent's Archetype Problem With Faction Specific Cards

This has actually come up a lot before. However, it has never been discussed within its own topic. So, here we go.

Neutral cards with similar effects to faction specific cards are weaker because faction specific cards should take precedence. Most famous example would be Crones vs Witchers, though many more examples exist. This is okay'ish. Though, in an ideal situation, you actually want neutral cards to do their own thing without having similar effects with their faction specific counter parts.

Now let's compare faction specific cards with each other. Suddenly, a forum user -let's call him Bob- Bob starts arguing: "You cannot compare faction cards with other factions because vacuum this and different archetype that". Bob has a point. NR needs to use a gold card to resurrect a unit (and only has one card available), while SK can achieve the same thing with a silver card (and has another 3 ress cards). That would normally be completely unfair.

Onward to my main point. Factions exist to give a feeling of uniqueness as well as pushing the player into archetypes. Well, how would be balance looks like, if every card could be used by every faction. I am not suggesting that every card should be made neutral, but that every card could theoretically be put into another faction without becoming too overpowered. This would create a certain baseline and removes the gap between Shani and Sigrdrifa, for example.

What would that do for the balance?

This could lead to a suggestion (among other things): Neutral Archetype Cards for Leaders

Last edited:
I think neutral cards are like a double-edged sword.

They add something that might be essential for all factions to use (like Cleaver, or the three Witchers), but on the other hand their very presence "robs" the role of backbone cards in some decks.

Remember CB and the KoB and Roach autoinclude? I'm talking about that.
There is no solution but to make Neutral cards "decent" at best, if not they'll easily steal the thunder.

For the same reason the least number of cards should be made available to every faction, in general.
The gap between Shani and Sigrdrifa must exist, otherwise factions will stop existing.
In this example, resurrection is a SK archetype (or common ability), no one should be able to do it better than or at SK's level.
For the same reason you have Caretaker (gold who resurrects, basically using another faction's core skill) and Coral (gold who casts Weather, a MS core skill), both limited to 1 Gold card.

Imo 'delving' into another faction's core skill should not be totally forbidden, but should definitely be expensive and offer few synergies.

I would be in favor of 3 Bronze Units and 1 Silver being able to switch factions. I think it would make for some interesting decks, and maybe break up the meta a little.

For example, NR Medics in a Mulligan deck, or Vicovaro Medics in a Consume deck, etc etc.

OR...and I like this option better, use a mechanic like Meteorite Powder to break a faction specific card to neutral, but limit it at 3 bronze and 1 silver at a time, and if you want to switch, you have to mill the ones you have.

First of all I think neutral cards shouldn't really exist and its pain in the ass to balance, that is why neutrals are usually crap cards you never want to use.

There is really no point in having neutral cards if we have faction system with enough cards within each faction(which is not the case). Mixing factions just screams OP since cards were never
intended to be played with cards in another faction. Can you just imagine cancer that people would think off if that was possible.

Checco515;n8985610 said:
Coral (gold who casts Weather, a MS core skill)

Coral doesn't cast weather. ;)

lomvicmarko;n8985800 said:
First of all I think neutral cards shouldn't really exist

If you remove neutral cards, where do you put the Witchers?

Lore wise it is already a nightmare. :)

I don't like neutral cards that are too similar to faction specific cards but weaker.

I think it's weird if you compare for example Lugos to Triss or Witchers to Crones. And why not give neutral cards something more unique?

More gold and silver cards. And stronger. They are limited in numbers, so everyone can choose what suits them.

Top Bottom