GWENT’s Fifth Expansion ‘Master Mirror’ revealed!

+
I don't think Gaunter hated being compared to mages, also he does cast Spells obviously, Specially this pact is some sort of Spell, Dark Magic etc.
This is a direct quote from the game.
Geralt: "You appeared out of nowhere, disappeared just as mysteriously, summoned a storm ... Lemme guess - you're a mage."
Gaunter: "Please, no. I cannot stand spells. Childish hocus-pocus, it's just not interesting. What I find interesting are true tales of human lives "

How often do they reveal new cards from new expansion on website?
Apparently 2-3 each day (on average they have to to be finishes on June 30th).

Right now unconditional face value if 4prov cards is 5, conditional face value is 6 and cards with difficult conditions are worth 7. Critter is worth 7 and its condition is questionable at best, for some decks (Harmony) it's unconditional 7, on top of that it has better tag and point distribution, so it's basically better than any other 4prov card.
It is a 7 for 4, which needs bleeding to tick for 3 turns (which puts a restriction on the turns).
Bruxa by that comparison is an unconditional 5 for 4 with thrive, Plumard would be an unconditional 6 for 4 and if you play 2 Plumards they average at 7 points each.
The condition is hardly questionable if you cannot access cards like Royal Decree in Nilfgaard, cannot use Bomb Heaver, all the graveyard tech cards and the list goes on.
Of course the distribution is good, that is the upside, as well as the 1 additional point.
Also Savage Bear is a thing and that is a 4p that can fully answer Azar Javed with its second copy.

I still do not see powercreep in this card (apart from the swarming for Nature's Rebuke), also Harmony already runs a lot of treants, if they decide to run this (which they likely will) it will be an additional treant that does not trigger harmony.

Last edited:
Right now unconditional face value if 4prov cards is 5, conditional face value is 6 and cards with difficult conditions are worth 7. Critter is worth 7 and its condition is questionable at best, for some decks (Harmony) it's unconditional 7, on top of that it has better tag and point distribution, so it's basically better than any other 4prov card.

Right now Deithwen Arbalest face value if 4prov cards is 5, conditional face value is 6 and cards with difficult conditions are worth 7. Critter is worth 7 and its condition is questionable at best, for some decks (Harmony) it's unconditional 7, on top of that it has better tag and point distribution, so it's basically better than any other 4prov card.

The card is not played, mainly because NG run Joachim + Invocation instead of royal decree.
Besides, only decks that struggle against specific decks might want to include Critter as tech-option to even the ground.
We also have Xavier Lemmens, that basically destroys any MO or SK decks reliant on ressurection. All this for 8provisions and 5 points.
We dont see it as often.

Guest 4330748

I was literally shocked by the price, 54$!! it's the price of a new game!! this choice you made is really bad...definitively not gonna buy it, and i'm not the only one (should check the community feedback, i think that the majority will keep their money because they simply can't)

Last edited by a moderator:
Geralt: "You appeared out of nowhere, disappeared just as mysteriously, summoned a storm ... Lemme guess - you're a mage."
Gaunter: "Please, no. I cannot stand spells. Childish hocus-pocus, it's just not interesting. What I find interesting are true tales of human lives "

Allow me to nerd out a bit on this. The way I see it, Gaunter was serious when he said he doesn't cast spells. I think that all the stunts he pulls off are simply him operating outside of three-dimensional space 'cause he's obviously some kind of spooky eldritch horror whose true form cannot be perceived by puny human brains.

Let me try to explain this better. Let's imagine I have a magic pencil that can draw 2D beings. Let's say I draw a guy named Francis. Now, Francis only knows about length and width, on account of him being a two-dimensional being. He has no soddin' clue about height. Poor Francis can only perceive me as the shadow that falls on his paper. If I were to draw a circle next to Francis and then cut it out and lift it up in the air, to Francis' eyes it would look like my shadow made the circle disappear! It would look like magic! But it isn't magic, it's just me lifting it up in a dimension Francis can't perceive.

So I think Gaunter operates the same way. He isn't casting spells, he's just doing mundane stuff in another dimension.

Allow me to nerd out a bit on this. The way I see it, Gaunter was serious when he said he doesn't cast spells. I think that all the stunts he pulls off are simply him operating outside of three-dimensional space 'cause he's obviously some kind of spooky eldritch horror whose true form cannot be perceived by puny human brains.

Let me try to explain this better. Let's imagine I have a magic pencil that can draw 2D beings. Let's say I draw a guy named Francis. Now, Francis only knows about length and width, on account of him being a two-dimensional being. He has no soddin' clue about height. Poor Francis can only perceive me as the shadow that falls on his paper. If I were to draw a circle next to Francis and then cut it out and lift it up in the air, to Francis' eyes it would look like my shadow made the circle disappear! It would look like magic! But it isn't magic, it's just me lifting it up in a dimension Francis can't perceive.

So I think Gaunter operates the same way. He isn't casting spells, he's just doing mundane stuff in another dimension.
No need to elaborate that much, I think we all know the "a 2 dimensional being can never understand a 3 dimensional being or even see it beyond the 2 dimensions they share" (obviously assuming the 2 dimensions overlap).
Gaunter actually talks about manipulating all 4 dimensions in his last conversation with Geralt (before they meet with Olgierd) and states how many "appetizing opportunities" time manipulation brings.
Again, all that is not a surprise when you take Gaunter O' Dimms initials and take into consideraion that he calls himself Master Mirror and that he is only interested in peoples souls (and taking them).

But I guess this has gone far enough off topic.

Well, the whole human mind can't perceive is silly, there is nothing human mind can't perceive, though in game it might not be considered this way, but to me it looks like Gaunter Bluffs a lot, and Makes it as if he is much more powerful than he really is, Devil is pretty much like this aswell, not powerful, but plays around and Decieves people into thinking it's incredibly powerful and all knowing. Just my thought on Gaunter. He is called master mirror afterall.
Post automatically merged:

This is a direct quote from the game.

Apparently 2-3 each day (on average they have to to be finishes on June 30th).

It is a 7 for 4, which needs bleeding to tick for 3 turns (which puts a restriction on the turns).
Bruxa by that comparison is an unconditional 5 for 4 with thrive, Plumard would be an unconditional 6 for 4 and if you play 2 Plumards they average at 7 points each.
The condition is hardly questionable if you cannot access cards like Royal Decree in Nilfgaard, cannot use Bomb Heaver, all the graveyard tech cards and the list goes on.
Of course the distribution is good, that is the upside, as well as the 1 additional point.
Also Savage Bear is a thing and that is a 4p that can fully answer Azar Javed with its second copy.

I still do not see powercreep in this card (apart from the swarming for Nature's Rebuke), also Harmony already runs a lot of treants, if they decide to run this (which they likely will) it will be an additional treant that does not trigger harmony.
Well we don't know what Gaunter really is doing, and it's just a card tag lol.

[...]
Well we don't know what Gaunter really is doing, and it's just a card tag lol.
My point was just that that extract proves my point that he hates being compared to mages, nothing else.
Also what he really does is pretty easy to get if you play Heart of Stone and look at the tales Gaunter is based on.

My point was just that that extract proves my point that he hates being compared to mages, nothing else.
Also what he really does is pretty easy to get if you play Heart of Stone and look at the tales Gaunter is based on.
Yeah gotcha.
Also I meant his Power, whether he is Using some sort of Magic, if yes then what, or these powers come in Naturally with him, if yes then what are they and how etc etc. That's what I meant, we don't know and we might never really know these Which is the interesting part, I personally don't like everything explained in details to the death in Stories such as this one.

dz.JPG

That's the kind of special card I like to see! A slightly cheaper but much more conditional Necromancy. At first glance I'd say it could have been 5 provisions, but we'll see how it works out.
Yes a decent Necro card for NG Spy players and but works for both, targeting a unit.

So are we gonna get new journey with this expansion? Because current Journey ends at the same time with the expansion release. But i see nothing regarding that.

If you can remember the quest from witcher 3, https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Practicum_in_Advanced_Alchemy
There was this druid 'Fritjof' in Skellige that could control weather at the cost of summoning monsters.
It's cool, that Devs are drawing parallels to Gaunter, as this druid's powers are probably connected to dark-arts.

If we continue with the same logic, then there are two intrigue dark arts that have been present in skellige and ultimately ended with tragedy.
1) Uroboros: Legends say that Uroboros 'somehow' created a mask when the sea swallowed his beloved, which allowed him to peek into the past, just once. This comes at a cost, where a cataclysm would occur and sea drown all the living.
Ermion forbids the usage of the mask, and describes it as 'alien' magic.
Considering the legend, the devastating effect of this artifact grew in proportion with Uroboros longing after his beloved. Similary, this artifact in gwent would grow in power each round.

2) Svalblood. Nothing in particular here, other than a cult that desired great strenghts. A relic (totem) that would grant fanatics their desire for power at a cost of their humanity.
Since we already have a totem, devs could probably go into other direction. Maybe explore the legend of Knut the Callous, and his warrior clan. Or the great warrior that became Svalblood, a being without a soul but power and bloodlust incarnate.

New leak:
Name: Ethereal
Doomed
At the end of the turn, transform a non-Demon unit to the right into a base copy of self.

New leak:
Name: Ethereal
Doomed
At the end of the turn, transform a non-Demon unit to the right into a base copy of self.
8 provisions, 4 base strength

A very interesting 8p neutral card (which might actually deserve Renew), which in swarm decks can be ridiculous (e.g. Archas Swarm).
Also Gerni Fruits + Ethereal sounds like a playable version of Gerni + Kikimore Warriors.

8 provisions, 4 base strength

A very interesting 8p neutral card (which might actually deserve Renew), which in swarm decks can be ridiculous (e.g. Archas Swarm).
Also Gerni Fruits + Ethereal sounds like a playable version of Gerni + Kikimore Warriors.
It's doomed though. You would need to purify one copy first

PS it could work as a meme in Gravehag decks

If you can remember the quest from witcher 3, https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Practicum_in_Advanced_Alchemy
There was this druid 'Fritjof' in Skellige that could control weather at the cost of summoning monsters.
It's cool, that Devs are drawing parallels to Gaunter, as this druid's powers are probably connected to dark-arts.

If we continue with the same logic, then there are two intrigue dark arts that have been present in skellige and ultimately ended with tragedy.
1) Uroboros: Legends say that Uroboros 'somehow' created a mask when the sea swallowed his beloved, which allowed him to peek into the past, just once. This comes at a cost, where a cataclysm would occur and sea drown all the living.
Ermion forbids the usage of the mask, and describes it as 'alien' magic.
Considering the legend, the devastating effect of this artifact grew in proportion with Uroboros longing after his beloved. Similary, this artifact in gwent would grow in power each round.

2) Svalblood. Nothing in particular here, other than a cult that desired great strenghts. A relic (totem) that would grant fanatics their desire for power at a cost of their humanity.
Since we already have a totem, devs could probably go into other direction. Maybe explore the legend of Knut the Callous, and his warrior clan. Or the great warrior that became Svalblood, a being without a soul but power and bloodlust incarnate.
My first guess was Clan Tordaroch and the fate of Undvik.

Another one would be something about Clan Tuirsearch. The veteran mechanic they readded was bound to Tuirsearch some time during Open Beta, also our first reveal was a Tuirsearch guy.
And the Tuirsearch castle was destroyed, which could be part of a tragedy caused by Gaunter. The evolving card could be Torgeir the Red in that case.

The faction where I'm looking most forward to see, who the evolving character is, is ST. From the reveals so far, it seems pretty clear that the new cards will resolve around Dryads and Treants. And I can't imagine Gaunter having any influence on them in any way. Elves or Dwarves for sure, but how could Gaunter have done any deal with a Dryad or a Tree.

Top Bottom