GWENT’s Fifth Expansion ‘Master Mirror’ revealed!

+
Can't wait for next card reveal.. Within a week?

Qzman

Forum regular
source please for the info about rupture?
I was curious too, it was on the developer overview -
Screenshot_13253452462354.jpg

Anybody else hopes this will be tied with an arena overhaul? Implicating Gaunter and all? One can only hope...

DRK3

Forum veteran
Im curious to see how this evolving cards will work.

It seems Veil is the solution to the poison meta, and these evolving cards are the next step after scenarios. Will this evolving cards be resilient? Immune? Im assuming they will be really powerful, and if they dont have many counters, i assume Korathi Heatwave will be auto include to deal with them for the rest of the game.

OK, that's not very clear when you try to order through GOG.
Cause it says works on: windows 7, 8 and 10. Mobile versions aren't mentioned.
Well, is there anything that doesn't work on a mobile browser just like it would on a PC? Maybe if you tick "Desktop site" in some cases, but still. If that was prevented, I think there would be some serious scandals going on.

Im curious to see how this evolving cards will work.

It seems Veil is the solution to the poison meta, and these evolving cards are the next step after scenarios. Will this evolving cards be resilient? Immune? Im assuming they will be really powerful, and if they dont have many counters, i assume Korathi Heatwave will be auto include to deal with them for the rest of the game.
R1 - Scenario
R2- Evolving Legendary card
R3- might not exist... gulp.. or this may change the way we playing Gwent

also the Old Gaunter card needs to change, i hope you rework or tweak that aswell with this expansion.
To be fair, the current ability fits really well lore-wise. :p
His old(est?) ability of "gamble with the Man of Glass" was way cooler though. Way, way cooler.

Anybody else hopes this will be tied with an arena overhaul? Implicating Gaunter and all? One can only hope...
On one hand, it would make perfect sense. On the other hand, the expansion is going to be huge and adding an Arena rework in the same update might be a bit too much.
So, I guess I'm not hoping to see it on the 30th. Besides, even more Gaunter to look forward to in the future sounds good. :p

Guest 4368268

Cool theme for an expansion. Absolutely loved Hearts of Stone. I was hoping for a Wild Hunt expansion, but this is a great theme too. Gotta say, I love the idea of veil. Maybe as long as poison exists we can put veil on everything ;) but really, I think if you want certain cards to have a chance at being viable a keyword like this is needed. I don't like the concept of defender because it's too broad/powerful of a protective layer, but I don't mind specific cards having this keyword. For instance, I'd be fine with a super low power card like Mourntart having it.

Master Mirror's ability also seems interesting and makes me nostalgic to the old Johnny card. The rupture keyword.. Idk. I'm pretty put off from control and removal in Homecoming, but let's see how this works out. It seems at least you'll be able to play around it. The bad news is you play around it with a purify card, which you'll seemingly need 50 of nowadays.
Really like the veteran keyword. Glad to see they're (very slowly) allowing for a little bit of fun and playing around with base strength again, now just bring back old Imlerith Sabbath ;) Playing with carry-over in mind is an aspect I've always loved in Gwent.
The devotion keyword is also something I love. Gives deck building another aspect to keep in mind, while giving some strong tools for people that avoid neutrals (so certain strong tutors/tech cards etc) Gotta say, I'm very positively surprised by all this.

If this is a new consistent direction for the game to go in then my optimism is finally going up. Since we lost the concept of a 'Ciri Nova' deck I hope they make devotion worthwhile enough to see a good share of 'devotion decks'
Evolution too is just an idea that sounds really cool. Including the changing art work of the card. This expansion looks like it'll make the game significantly more interesting and I appreciate that. It seems a lot of effort went into it. I feel like the game desperately needs it. Which is why for this month I'll be sitting out though, because the game as is has gotten pretty stale for me. Especially as there are no (balance) changes at all for this month (?)

I hope that they also start looking at older cards and applying these keywords to them. For example, certain cards could use armour but they haven't (to my knowledge) gone back to actually give this useful mechanic to the old card pool.
Also something about the new spying cards that worries me is an issue I've brought up before, the row limits. You can fit 9 cards a row. If your opponent places a bunch of stuff on your side of the board you could be unable to play any more cards with like four turns to go. I would like to see this increased to at least ten a row.

A bit worried about Oneiromancy and the future balance between RNG and "play what you choose" kind of decks.

There is a bit of a good balance there at the moment. In my personal opinion Matta is too much, but ok. Oneiromancy is basically a "royal decree++", which is a bit worrying in itself. But playing that twice during a game is even worse. Doesn't that create too much predictability? And twice... Hmm..

Might be that we end up getting very stale decks that plays almost exactly the same cards in exactly the same order every single match.

But I guess CDPR has really been listening to all the players who cry that they cannot play all their gold cards every single match due to the "draw factor".. Yikes.. Common!

So they made a card
A bit worried about Oneiromancy and the future balance between RNG and "play what you choose" kind of decks.

There is a bit of a good balance there at the moment. In my personal opinion Matta is too much, but ok. Oneiromancy is basically a "royal decree++", which is a bit worrying in itself. But playing that twice during a game is even worse. Doesn't that create too much predictability? And twice... Hmm..

Might be that we end up getting very stale decks that plays almost exactly the same cards in exactly the same order every single match.

But I guess CDPR has really been listening to all the players who cry that they cannot play all their gold cards every single match due to the "draw factor".. Yikes.. Common!

When did it feel great to not draw the cards you need. With no consistency, you cannot build decks centered around synergy. So put point-slam cards in your deck and have some fun with all the other decks that literally will play the same. Points with no set-up requirement. That Great. Class A card game.

Oh Gee, you did draw all the cards you needed, I didnt. Well, guess you are the better player.

So they made a card

When did it feel great to not draw the cards you need. With no consistency, you cannot build decks centered around synergy. So put point-slam cards in your deck and have some fun with all the other decks that literally will play the same. Points with no set-up requirement. That Great. Class A card game.

Oh Gee, you did draw all the cards you needed, I didnt. Well, guess you are the better player.

That's why I said balance..

But fine, no worries about the crowd who cry they cannot play EVERY single gold card in their deck every single match. They got their way. Fine.. No worries.

No need to build well balanced decks either, when you can reliably draw all your golds.. Just those deck will survive, every other deck will die.

So, even more all the same decks and less variance. Everyone just playing the same decks. Fun fun fun.. Not stale at all, nope.

All these new mechanics mean for sure that they are NOT going to tweak existing ones.
Instead of reworking or balancing old cards, lets drop hundred new ones. Of course, it will come with many bugs and untested crap.
In one moment it will be simply impossible to "balance" the game.
But hey, it's not actually bad, cause h.cming ver 2 is going to be released.

That's why I said balance..

But fine, no worries about the crowd who cry they cannot play EVERY single gold card in their deck every single match. They got their way. Fine.. No worries.

No need to build well balanced decks either, when you can reliably draw all your golds.. Just those deck will survive, every other deck will die.

So, even more all the same decks and less variance. Everyone just playing the same decks. Fun fun fun.. Not stale at all, nope.

When the deck consist of 25 cards, and you play 16 of them during a match with no thinning or tutors, then I dont know if you can call it variety, if the concept of the deck remains the same. If you play Siege or NG-soldiers (vrygheff Ramon or Vreemde), without drawing them, you have a hand full of bronzes (machines or soldiers). I wouldnt call it fun, rather depressing.

And how can you make meaningfull balance changes, when there is RNG involved. You get the combo pierces you get points. No combo pierces, and the points are below provision value. How is it balance?

I have to admit I'm a bit concerned by Oneiromancy as well for its provisions. At the other hand, this cards has a couple of downsides for sure.
-You need a card that you really want to play (or have in hand) in round 1/2, which has enough impact such that taking Oneiromancy is worth it. Not much of a downside in most cases, in particular as you only need to get 2 extra value out of it, for Oneiromancy to be better than Royal Decree.
-If you don't draw Oneiromancy in round 1 or 2, you loose the extra effect.
-We get more graveyard hate, so the replay of Oneiromancy can be interrupted. And as the main use of this card will probably the second use, due to the last round being the most contested one, banishing it in the graveyard is a lot more worth than just the 2 provision difference to Royal Decree.

You can't build cards around two card combos or single win conditions, instead you have to build them around synergies. Because if nearly all of your cards in your deck work with each other, it matters a lot less, which you draw.

You can't build cards around two card combos or single win conditions, instead you have to build them around synergies. Because if nearly all of your cards in your deck work with each other, it matters a lot less, which you draw.

I dont see why we cant have both. We are talking variety after all.

I dont see why we cant have both. We are talking variety after all.
Good question, and I have no really good answer for it.
The closest answer is probably, that the way Gwent is currently balanced those two card combos would outshine most other decks and therefore would have to be a lot weaker and a lot more cards would require synergies and conditional effects. And I guess in the end that would lead to two card combos being not worth it anymore.

Concerning Oneiromancy, I just read on reddit that the effect descriptions seems to be similar to Phoenix, which means, that the card will be added to the top of the deck after you draw your cards in the next round.
If that is the case, the card and echo in general, will be a lot worse, because if you don't draw it in round one, you need a card that draws from the top of your deck.
And it will be completly countered by Cantarella.

About numbers:
- New expansion is 95 cards (with evolving), and they talked about 70+, so pretty good. Of course lot of them can be tokens, but they're still cards, nonetherless.
- For now, they showed 9 cards + 3 arts + 6 premium arts in trailer = we know 18 / 95 pictures.
- It's 21 cards more than in Merchants of Ofir, even with Stratagems, of which there were 12 :)

Top Bottom