GWENT’s Fifth Expansion ‘Master Mirror’ revealed!

+
This expansion is looking really good so far. I love the devotion concept!!! All MO all the time!!

When the deck consist of 25 cards, and you play 16 of them during a match with no thinning or tutors, then I dont know if you can call it variety, if the concept of the deck remains the same. If you play Siege or NG-soldiers (vrygheff Ramon or Vreemde), without drawing them, you have a hand full of bronzes (machines or soldiers). I wouldnt call it fun, rather depressing.

And how can you make meaningfull balance changes, when there is RNG involved. You get the combo pierces you get points. No combo pierces, and the points are below provision value. How is it balance?

Well yea. You get 2/3+2+2 mulligans normally too and you draw 10+3+3, 16 cards. That's say 22-23 out of 25, but not exactly so.. Other factors too. But oversimplified..

Instead of playing the cards they get, you now have players complaining they do not draw their gold cards. I think that's ridiculous. There is a chance you don't draw card X or Y, sure, but that's part of the game. But then we ALREADY have various tutor cards, and personally I think the balance was fine in that regards BEFORE Matta.

Sure, we can agree or disagree about Matta, but I personally think that was one step too far in regards to tutors. A double super royal decree seems like it would be bad for the game, and change the balance between RNG/Variance and consistency too much.. As I said, personally I think that balance was upset with Matta. I think the "optimal balance point" would be the game today, without Matta.

Well, perhaps there SHOULD be more risk to including scenario (or other "important" high provision golds), perhaps that's part of the game as well! If that risk is gone, you exclude even more decks and cards than have already been excluded, and you end up with very few decks and a very stale game (like we have now), even despite adding new cards!

I find that prospect a bit worrisome.

Duhad

Forum regular
I have a feeling the Nilfgaard evolving card is going to be
Emhyr var Emreis (possibly as Duny), because he was shown in the trailer, going through a transformation.
June 6th isn't far at all, so we'll see soon enough.

I think your right, but let me offer an alternative I think is also possible:
Usurper. We see him at 3 stages in the reveal, first as a knight with Gaunter whispering in his ear, second as presumably a general marching on the capitol and then finally post murder of Emhyr's father, staring at the bloody crown, not in triumph, but in the sort of melancholic funk you find yourself in when you succeeded at everything you set out to do... And yet also realize you might have TRULY f***ed up.

Given the Devs talked about how all of the 'evolving cards' would be themed around Gaunter manipulating of key figures through history, I think Usurper fits the bill pretty well from what we have seen.

Plus, while we see 3 very distinct scenes of Usurper from initial manipulation to general to regicide, we mostly just see Emhyr getting cursed and then transforming from Duny back to his true form. Its possible those are just two cards their, some sort of 'Curse' card and a "Duny, Urcheon of Erlenwald" card with a premium animation that shows who he actually is.

Having said all of that, I still think your guess is pretty damn likely, but I have seen allot of people leaning that way and I think theirs some fair evidence for an alternative guess.
Post automatically merged:

Also, now that we have Devotion, isnt it better to make Neutral cards to play for their value just like Faction cards? Since we will get even more Value by playing Faction cards with this Keyword, makes me wonder why would i play Neutral cards if they are going to mess with Devotion aswell as being weaker than faction cards, unless it`s for teching or doing some Special thing with Neutrals.

Neutrals have always been more their to tech and supplement things, so they really don't need to be made stronger to compete with faction cards. Keep in mind that Devotion is an all or nothing sort of mechanic where ANY neutrals will mess it up. Their for the question is not, "Oh can I afford to go all Monsters if it means not being able to run Elder Bear?" Its, "Can I afford to go all Monsters if it means I can't run Royal Decree or the new Echo RD card for consistency? Can I afford to NOT be able to tech in one of the Geralt's if the meta goes tall? Can I go without ANY neutral techs?" Because if not, then you can't run Devotion full stop and any and all neutrals are back on the menu.

Having said that a few of the neutrals are hilariously bad enough that seeing a few small tweaks to make them not total crap would be nice. Like if Angry Mob can be a 3 power, deal 2 with conditional upside for 4, then surely Wolf Pack can be bumped up a point to be a 3 power, deal 2 full stop. Still worse then the factional equivalents, but a tiny bit better and possibly usable in a beast deck. That sort of thing.

Last edited:
Still it would be awesome, if it was possible to build deck with only neutrals, and maybe Witchers archetype? Now it's just support and some dead cards. And it's sad, becouse they're one of the most important characters in Books and Games...

Some questions for the devs: Apart from getting the cosmetics immediately, is there any benefit of pre-ordering now as opposed to buying on actual release? I mean is the big bundle actually cheaper than it will be at the end of June?
Is it possible to buy the Skin and cardback with money at release and then buy Master Mirror kegs with ore?

I mean is the big bundle actually cheaper than it will be at the end of June?
The offers will expire once the expansion goes live, that's why they're preorders. The prices aren't going to change from what they are now (they never have before).

Check out the FAQ here.

The offers will expire once the expansion goes live, that's why they're preorders. The prices aren't going to change from what they are now (they never have before).

Check out the FAQ here.
Thank you, but you failed to answer the rest. Let me periphrase - currently there are 3 offers -1. For 25 kegs and skin 2. For 10 kegs and cardback and 3. For a combo. So, once the expansion is released at the 30th of July, will there be an offer for skin+cardback (even if they were 'slightly different' as point 8 from FAQ states) and will we be able to buy Master Mirror kegs for 100-150 ore each ? Thank you

Guest 4375874

Great!! Will the balancing issues be addressed? I was excited for the Ofir expansion and regretted it. Scenarios were just a shiny distraction which only introduced it's own set of issues. Focus on getting the game right first

will there be an offer for skin+cardback (even if they were 'slightly different' as point 8 from FAQ states)
The FAQ would not have that question and answer if there was. The main point of the preview things is getting unique items that cannot be acquired afterwards.

And I don't think there's any way the kegs (but only the non-premium ones) won't be in the shop for 100 ore each, just like all the other expansion kegs.

(I never claimed I had answered all questions.)

Great!! Will the balancing issues be addressed? I was excited for the Ofir expansion and regretted it. Scenarios were just a shiny distraction which only introduced it's own set of issues. Focus on getting the game right first
But the game is relatively balanced, especially compared to the Tier 0.5 Harmony Meta before Merchants of Ofir.
Also Merchants of Ofir at the very least broadened the meta.
The aim of balancing is always to broaden the meta, so I do not understand your point, given that the game did get more balanced as a result of that expansion and neither did they powercreep beyond Harmony, nor did the expansion have little impact.

Duhad

Forum regular
Thank you, but you failed to answer the rest. Let me periphrase - currently there are 3 offers -1. For 25 kegs and skin 2. For 10 kegs and cardback and 3. For a combo. So, once the expansion is released at the 30th of July, will there be an offer for skin+cardback (even if they were 'slightly different' as point 8 from FAQ states) and will we be able to buy Master Mirror kegs for 100-150 ore each ? Thank you

Don't know for sure, but its a safe bet that post release all kegs will sell for 100 ore each (including the new MM ones) , skin bundles will NOT be available again, BUT we might eventually see an alt skin (like a Gaunter wearing red) as an alternate skin that can be picked up in a cheaper bundle that will NOT come with the cards. So basically if you want everything that comes with the bundles, buying them now will be your best value for money, but if you ONLY want the skin and card back chances are that you will not be able to get them again later, but you WILL be able to later buy a variant version for like... 15-17$ for just the skin and card back and maybe an avatar.

Personally I feel like near the price of a new game is not even close to being a good deal, even considering what a HUGE fan I am of Gaunter, but I also have enough ore, scraps and powder that I'm really just looking at this in terms of the extra goodies. If you actually want to get all the cards right out the gate... Its 35 kegs with 125 guaranteed premiums, plus a really cool card back and skin. So... No honestly its still a pretty mediocre deal.

Honestly Harthstone's economy is SO MUCH worse then Gwents, but their new expansion deals, "50$ = 100 packs" is such a better deal then "50$ = 35 kegs, but some of them are animated and you get some cosmetics" its sort of embarrassing... And this coming from someone who HATES Harthstones horrifically greedy economy!

But ya, sorry, I love Gwent, I love Gaunter and I think that card back is cool, but this deal honestly sucks. Would not recommend unless you have serious money to blow on shinies.
:shrug:

BUT we might eventually see an alt skin (like a Gaunter wearing red) as an alternate skin that can be picked up in a cheaper bundle that will NOT come with the cards.

Gaunter skins should have 6 faction variations. He is a timeless character, and as we saw in the video, has different appearances that appeal the most to the people he approaches. These skins will sell very well.

I wonder which characters from Witcher universe will appear on the evolving cards... Usurper (or Emhyr?) in Nilfgaard, but other fractions? Every one of them must be someone very important, and guided by Gaunter at some point.
Is it possible, that for Monsters it will be Auberon (king of Aen Elle elves, who wanted to capture Ciri?)
For Realms maybe Radovid - he went insane, who knows, if it wasn't becouse of Gaunter?
I have no idea for other fractions...

I wonder which characters from Witcher universe will appear on the evolving cards... Usurper (or Emhyr?) in Nilfgaard, but other fractions? Every one of them must be someone very important, and guided by Gaunter at some point.
Is it possible, that for Monsters it will be Auberon (king of Aen Elle elves, who wanted to capture Ciri?)
[...]
For MO it could also be Eredin, before he commits regicide, after that and during his attempts to catch Ciri in the Witcher 3.
In any case both of these options could mean more Wild Hunt support.

[...]
For Realms maybe Radovid - he went insane, who knows, if it wasn't becouse of Gaunter?
I have no idea for other fractions...
That could be, especially considering his radical and sudden shift in personality between The Witcher 2 and 3.
(Although I am unsure if one of those scenes in the trailer does not depict the NR candidate, in which case it could not be Radovid)

[...] but their new expansion deals, "50$ = 100 packs" is such a better deal then "50$ = 35 kegs, [...]

That's a flawed comparison because 1 HS pack is less valuable than 1 Gwent keg. The reason for this is you'll need more packs, on average, to create a competitive deck in HS. When you compare Gwent with HS/MtG:

1. Gwent has a smaller deck size (making it easier to create competitive decks)
2. In Gwent, you cannot fill your deck with only legendary cards (unlike with HS and MtG, making those decks very expensive)
3. Gwent has smaller expansions (making it easier to keep up with the collection)

Very happy to see bronze treants and the treant token card - will make things like Nature's Rebuke have more consistent max value rather than only the few gold treants for boost.

That's a flawed comparison because 1 HS pack is less valuable than 1 Gwent keg. The reason for this is you'll need more packs, on average, to create a competitive deck in HS. When you compare Gwent with HS/MtG:

1. Gwent has a smaller deck size (making it easier to create competitive decks)
2. In Gwent, you cannot fill your deck with only legendary cards (unlike with HS and MtG, making those decks very expensive)
3. Gwent has smaller expansions (making it easier to keep up with the collection)
But I can't stop thinking that these deals are overpriced, I'm able to buy Cyberpunk with this Money, not complaining, I just don't know how these things work, can't grasp how this almost has the Price of a full game that took 5 years to create like Cyberpunk, or other games like this.

As long as Gaunter does not act directly on Radovid himself that sounds reasonable.
Especially given what Shakeslock says in The Witcher 3 and the fact that Olgierds contract indirectly costs his brother his life.
Well I like the idea of Gaunter being the Devil literally, but not too much, if it's going to be considered canon, I don't want to see that it was Gaunter all along. Is it considered canon btw?

But I can't stop thinking that these deals are overpriced, I'm able to buy Cyberpunk with this Money, not complaining, I just don't know how these things work, can't grasp how this almost has the Price of a full game that took 5 years to create like Cyberpunk, or other games like this.

Well I like the idea of Gaunter being the Devil literally, but not too much, if it's going to be considered canon, I don't want to see that it was Gaunter all along. Is it considered canon btw?

In opinion of Witcher's father, Andrzej Sapkowski, only the things that appeared in his books belong to the "canon".
But most of people treat characters and stories created by CDPR as canon as well. So Gaunter too.

Top Bottom