Gwent's Most Fun Cards

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
Im not talking about the best cards, and certainly not the most reliable, that always provide the same x value and behave the same. Im talking about those that can either fail miserably or lead to an amazing success. Here are my favourites:

-Ihuarraquax - used to summon the highest provision units of both decks can lead to some hilarious situations. Is there anything better than summoning your opponent's Yghern, that instantly destroys itself? Yes - if on your side you summon Villentretenmerth (i recommend this combo) that also burns another of your opponents tall units!

-Angouleme - a meme card, that can brick often. But on certain metas, where there are expensive artefacts used on all factions, it can be amazing. I used it when Svalblod dominated the meta, for a cheap svalblod totem, then again a few months ago when there were portals everywhere, and now, with the scenarios.

-Geralt: Yrden - a unit that really depends on the deckstyle of your opponent. Sometimes it provides little value over its measly 2pt body, while other times, it destroys the buffing work your opponent had all round long in an instant. In order to decrease randomness, i like to pair it with swarm decks or Cahir + Yennefer (for boosts obviously), since most of those boosts on your opponent get resetted with Yrden after.

-Kambi - i know this card gets a lot of contempt, but nothing in Gwent is as machiavellian as making your opponent discard his last powerful card and not use his leader ability - which would give him the victory - but you had last say and used Kambi.

-Operator - it was one of my favourite cards in the betas, and still works similarly. Opens a sheer amount of possibilities for all factions. For example, recently i witnessed finally a mill deck strategy that is more effective than using Stregobor and Isbel that can be locked/destroyed, by using operator on viper witchers, to play 6 of these during the match (with the aid of that bronze spy and experimental remedy), instead of the usual 2.

What are your favourites?

Payus

Forum regular
Other cards that fit this criteria:

Aguara true form
Cantarella
Blue dream?
Elf and onion soup
Some Syanna dependant combos
Shupe mage 😬

DRK3

Forum veteran
Other cards that fit this criteria:

Aguara true form
Cantarella
Blue dream?
Elf and onion soup
Some Syanna dependant combos
Shupe mage 😬

Oh yeah, i cant belive i forgot Cantarella! You could make it more reliable with those units that let you see the top cards from your opponent, but using it randomly is more fun. Recently i got a Falibor, and in another case, a Vernossiel that made my opponent forfeit. :shrug:

Draug
Sigi Reuven
Shupe's Day Off
Keltullis
Roche: Merciless
Ritual Sacrifice
Geels
Whoreson Senior
Igor The Hook

Honestly ever since Igor was nerfed to have Cooldown 1 I never had more fun in the game than winning with Igor and with Imke+Scenario+Bincy+Hound(+Wild Card with Graden) one can definitely force a win in round 1, although Control is an instant loss.

Most already mentioned cards in addition to:
  • Artis (also fun in this seasonal, have 2/3 on board and all opponents cards kill themselves)
  • Lippy Godmund (he may be weak, but damn is his ability interesting. I even made some custom discard cards for a weird "get rid of your golds and return them" deck)
  • Aglais
  • Regis

DRK3

Forum veteran
@InkognitoXI I loved Igor on the first month of Syndicate, hands down my favourite card of the faction.

Made several decks around him, one to spam seductresses, other arena ghouls, other those zealots that give one coin for each spawn, another for townsfolk, and others for more SY bronzes...

Then came Dijkstra next month, the combo with townsfolk became OP and incredibly broken, and Igor got nerfed to boring status.

Recently i used him again on a seductress and peaches deck, he still worked but wasnt as much fun.

@InkognitoXI I loved Igor on the first month of Syndicate, hands down my favourite card of the faction.

Made several decks around him, one to spam seductresses, other arena ghouls, other those zealots that give one coin for each spawn, another for townsfolk, and others for more SY bronzes...

Then came Dijkstra next month, the combo with townsfolk became OP and incredibly broken, and Igor got nerfed to boring status.

Recently i used him again on a seductress and peaches deck, he still worked but wasnt as much fun.
Well, having Igor enable the (#Townsfolk + 1)*(#Tax Collector) engine is quite a lot of fun.
Most engines scale linearly, so this is quite funny, not to mention with Azar giving much needed protection.
Lined Pockets is debatable as the leader abilty right now, playing it basicly equals shouting out "Bleed me and I instant lose the matchup".

DRK3

Forum veteran
I know Usurper and Yen's Invocation are much hated, but using them to stop scenario+caretaker players is hilarious.

Most of them instantly forfeit. Tonight i even used Cantarella as the opening move and got a NG Poison scenario (that is a 1/25 chance!) and he forfeited so fast i hadnt started laughing yet.

I promise i will stop doing this after i manage to get a win with double scenario of my opponents, for all factions, but im not finding any monster players using the scenario nowadays.

Collusion is a really great fun card, if you manage to get the setup

And i also like the ship that always returns from the grave on hoard 9 :)

Top Bottom