Hacking rework?

+
It's an impossible suggestion, but it was the one thing that got me excited for this game years ago.
I know I've been harping on about this in other threads, but I just wanna write it down and get it out off my system.
If it can ever get implemented somehow, amazing. If not, well, so be it.

In one of the gameplay trailers it was clearly stated that the mechanics shown were work in progress and may not be in the final game.
As we know by now, those systems didn't make it despite being more cyberpunk than anything the game currently offers.

Having to knock out a gangster and physically connect to their local network before you could remotely hack them looked way more interesting.
I'm guessing it would've taken too much dev time to assign enemies to groups and only allow remote access once the network was breached through physical access.
Now almost everything is remotely accessible.

[ Warning: the following paragraphs are mere rambling.]

A pure hacking gamestyle is just taking a look from behind a corner and flat-line, ignite, short-circuit or explode everything without ever getting close.
Sure, you've got the technomage power fantasy going there, and the breaching minigame is fun enough, but it feels like you're missing steps in between to make it feel worthwhile.

The only thing that we got left over from this is the option for a lethal or non-lethal takedown.
And let's be honest, the non-lethal takedown no longer serves any purpose because to get the street cred, you have to kill them anyways.
Only a handful of missions I've found so far ask you to keep a perp alive and if you do kill them... well, no big deal.

The physical connection could've brought so much more gameplay with it.
Randomized chances to hack banking accounts (rather than the current physical terminals), get counter-hacked or receive a virus if your stats or rig wasn't good enough.
A minigame where you assign available RAM to certain hacks or be forced to manually pull out when detected.
Failure here would lead to detection or damaging electronic feedback through your own implants.
I know that this game has a much bigger scope that only the hacking, but still...

I agree that the current style of quickhack feels kind of like mage gameplay in a Fantasy RPG would.

Requiring physical access for an inital breach makes so much sense, compared to being able to remote hack everybody... It feels so cheesy, and because of that, not rewarding.

Security camera spotting you? Just go into mage mode and instantly disable it...

It would add to the challenge, especially for a beginning character who's going deep into INT.
The one-on-one bossfights or cyberpshyco's could/would become a bit more of a the challenge.
(Note: I have no experience yet how the harder difficulties are for a beginning hacker character.)

You would require new game mechanics that allow you to exploit a weakness to stun a boss.
When you then run over and physically connect, the hacking minigame would start without waiting for your first input.
If you succeed, a boss could (for a certain amount of time) be vulnerable to remote quickhacks.

Careful of ICE though, a boss character would have some installed obviously. :p
--------------------------

Last edited:
Instead of making a new post about the same thing AGAIN, I'll just add this as a reply.
Maybe I'm a bit too obsessive with what is versus what could've been.
Don't worry, I'll get better.

Now then, let's get to it. One more time.

---

Most of the systems are currently in place and I don't think it should be impossible to expand upon what we have.

The idea is simple, making hacking more engaging and rewarding.
As it is right now, anyone who invests a bit into the tree can flatline half a dozen guys within seconds.
If you want to play a techno-hacker god, this is fine.
I personally think it's just too much and after nuking yet another group whose local WIFI password and access to every cybernetic implant was "123".

Step 1. Add a challenge
Challenge: Enemies by default can only be remote hacked with non-damaging programs until the private network is breached.
Available hacks (if slotted):
Ping​
Reboot Optics​
Cripple Movement​
Request Backup​
Whistle​

Solution: Make a physical connection and execute a Breach Protocol on an enemy.
This can be achieved in different ways:​
- Sneak up to an enemy, perform a non-lethal takedown and hack in.​
- Sneak up to an enemy with the Nanowire equipped.​
+ Using a grenade with the Nanowire active, instead uses a separate launcher function to fire a wired probe. (ref. Missile Launcher Arms system)​
+ A headshot is required. Failing this obviously alerts the enemy.​
- Use Reboot Optics, walk up to the guy and as above, hack in.​
- Whistle to get someone's attention, hack in.​

NOTE: Personally I would not allow hacks like Suicide, System Reset or Detonate Grenade to spread.
Hacks like these should require a more extensive Breach Protocol or an additional hacking minigame to unlock BUT at that point hacking would get extremely tedious and probably less rewarding.
After all, we're playing Cyberpunk and not Netrunner.

Other objects within the network can be remotely hacked as usual.
It's kinda obvious they don't require the kind of security a human would probably put on the very implants that keep them alive or functioning.

Step 2. Add some depth
The situation
You did it, you breached the network and are ready to upload some Daemons and wreak digital havoc.
Once you've got access to their wireless network, all those cybernetic implants are ripe for the plucking.
Or frying.
Or short-circuiting.
The remainder of your hacks are now remotely executable and you can flex your cyber-muscles.

But when people suddenly ignite, have implants explode into a shower of sparks, one would think something is kinda wrong.

The solution
This hacking should be a two-way street. YOU are logged on to THEIR network.
Enemies should be faster in pinging their network to find you and shut you down.
One dude dancing the flaming samba may be faulty wiring.
Having another one's circuits explode a couple seconds later isn't just a case of 'shit happens' anymore.

Once you are being pinged or hacked by an enemy netrunner (and there should be more of these guys), a new system comes into being: ICE - Intrusion Countermeasures Electronics

When you see that you're being traced/hacked, opening your scanner will give you a NEW set of options rather than your regular hacks.
The list of available programs here depends on what you slotted into the (new) ICE slots of your equipped deck.
A success with these hacks can be achieved by deploying a program before the enemy's hack completes.
Default ICE available for all decks:
- ICE_Wall: Any opposing hack will be frozen while your RAM slowly drains.​
+ When your RAM reaches zero, the enemy hack continues.​
- Force Disconnect: spend all your remaining RAM to force a disconnect and break any trace or active hack.​
+ You lose remote access to the network​
+ Your RAM doesn't recharge for 2.5 minutes.​
Specialized ICE that can be slotted in a deck.
- Gh0st_2.5a: Spend RAM to deploy a Ghost hack.​
+ The more times you run it / RAM you spend, the faster it compiles and executes.​
+ On a success, an opposing ping fails to reveal your location​
- Black_ICE: Spend RAM to set up a trap.​
+ The more times you run it / RAM you spend, the faster it compiles and executes.​
+ On a success, a damaging hack fails to deploy and short-circuits the enemy netrunner's deck.​

There should be some more flavor with these hacks and effects, but this is just an example of what I think is good enough to cover the basics.

A skilled netrunner (level 10?) who has invested into their hacking abilities will be able to run and execute multiple ICE at the same time.
A master (level 20?) would still have plenty of RAM spare to engage in active combat while Executing the ICE programs once.

NOTE: ICE may also be present when trying to hack netrunners or higher level enemies.
Defeat as above, then continue with the Breach Protocol.

Step 3. There's always those on top.
Bosses are a staple of most games and should not be completely immume from someone who dedicates themselves to a certain playstyle. Mechanics should be introduced that allow a player to exploit a weakness to allow a breach protocol execution during a fight.
Rather than the regular breach protocol, you'd first have to defeat the ICE a boss has installed.
These guys can afford the tech, obviously.

If you read this far, cheers!
Maybe I'm not the only one over-thinking this aspect of the game.

Top Bottom