Happily ever after?

+
Happily ever after?

Do you think it would be possible for the Witcher to walk away and end his days in happiness? Whether alone, with his brothers in the ruins of Kaer Morhen or beside his lady love on Avalon or Murky Waters. Would that be a realistic end to the White Wolfs grim and bloody tale, and what might he have to sacrifice to achieve such personal contentment?

Personally, though I think that Geralts fate will depend upon his actions throughout the games, i'm fairly sure that there is no happy ending for him come the Sagas conclusion. Perhaps there will be glory and a righteous death, perhaps one last throw of the dice and a desperate gamble to save all he knows and cares for or maybe just a simple return to the Witchers path until his sorrows grow too heavy, his wounds too severe and the monsters too fierce.

Would a Carmen and Vincent ending ring true to your Geralt, he has once died just as Yennefer predicted, how will his next ending play out.

Well.. at least I hope Geralt would be alive in the end and somehow pieceful state would be achieved. He could live somewhere with his love (or not), continue the witcher's work in some setting etc. It would be important to me he could meet his old and new friends sometimes. So.. something relieving at the end would be nice. I don't really want to be left shocked out because that doesn't seal well the memories of The Witcher. The ending is an important touch that lets the gem shine brighter.

After all an RPG makes me usually fond to the character and I wouldn't want to lose him.

So.. I can imagine it ending happily - or at least things would go fort after all the hassle and days'd become closer to the normal routines. Maybe it'll not be "all happy" - witchers would not be seen as heroes. But definitely something fitting to the world yet relieving. We should not forget that even though the world of the witcher is cruel and filthy, it can also be very beautiful.

I'd be perfectly happy with a bitter sweet ending, or even a full blown tragedy. It would fit with my conception of Geralt, something Torment or Fallout like.

Personally I would wish a happy ending, with everyone living happily ever after. But considering the witcher world in all its splendor, a "happy" ending is a very unlikely outcome. He might live, but I can't picture a happy ending

I think bitter-sweet would be far more acceptable than happily ever after. The harsh world that the Witcher games work so hard to realise would make a 'happy' ending feel out of place. A lot like how Mass Effect 3's ending destroys everything the game stands for, a happily ever after ending would destroy a lot of what the Witcher stands for.

But this is still a video game, and I want to be rewarded for my hard-work. So if the game ends in a bitter-sweet manner, I want to feel satisfied. Not lost and clueless.

And as an RPG, I want choice. Having one canon ending would be like turning the entire series (so far) upside down. All these choices and for what? Nilfgaard to rule, Geralt dead, Roche tortured and Triss in depression? No.

The way the happy endings have worked so far have been great. Though Geralt has got out of things with a smile on his face, there is still a whole load of trouble coming his way. The perfect summary would be this: there is no rest for a Witcher.

Blothulfur said:
I'd be perfectly happy with a bitter sweet ending, or even a full blown tragedy. It would fit with my conception of Geralt, something Torment or Fallout like.

Aye, right on. Fallout and Planescape handled bitter-sweet very well.

Personally I can't imagine a happy end like "And they live happily together till the end of their days". But a bitter end like Geralt's death would be unsatisfying as well. I will feel sad if i play through three games and at the end my hero dies no matter what I do or which decision I made. So I prefer a kind of open ending considering Geralt's further life. It would be fine seeing a beaten Nilfgaard at the end or Yeneffer alive for example. But what will happen after that everyone can imagine or fantasize in his own mind.

Geralt will probably be trapped in the elf world or something he'd be seperate from everyone else but everyone takes comfort in the fact that Yennefer is alive and as long as she's alive Geralt is too because their fates are bound by the last wish.

guipit said:
Geralt will probably be trapped in the elf world or something he'd be seperate from everyone else but everyone takes comfort in the fact that Yennefer is alive and as long as she's alive Geralt is too because their fates are bound by the last wish.

That would suck / especially the part where Geralt is doing the caring without me. What happened to our arbitary bromance Geralt?

Happy ending for Geralt would be "White wolf is back on the witcher path" aka Geralt finally have time for himself and can travel through whole northern kingdoms killing monsters for money without politics and people that want to kill him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZATWQcO-Z4

This is peaceful life for Geralt.

Celebrindal said:
I will feel sad if i play through three games and at the end my hero dies no matter what I do or which decision I made.
Wait.. is The Witcher going to be.. a trilogy?

Sure the third game will most probably end the war.. but does it have to stop there? The first witcher didn't have much in common with the war so the fourth witcher could be something alike the first. More basic witcher's life, new places, new myths and tales of the world, new characters .. :rolleyes: well.. that's the most real witcher's world for me.. it's not only (and cerntainly not mostly) about the war..
It would be interesting to have enough time to see what'll happen to the lands, nonhumans, friends and foes and what our witcher would do there...

Colibrie said:
Wait.. is The Witcher going to be.. a trilogy?

Sure the third game will most probably end the war.. but does it have to stop there? The first witcher didn't have much in common with the war so the fourth witcher could be something alike the first. More basic witcher's life, new places, new myths and tales of the world, new characters .. :rolleyes: well.. that's the most real witcher's world for me.. it's not only (and cerntainly not mostly) about the war..
It would be interesting to have enough time to see what'll happen to the lands, nonhumans, friends and foes and what our witcher would do there...

I'm not definitely sure but if I remember correctly I've read in an article that the Witcher was considered to be a trilogy.

As much as I also would like to explore the Witcher's world again and again and follow the lifes of Geralt and his friends/enemies/...I rather prefer three high-class games and a satisfying (or non satisfying) end than a series which looses quality with every new part of it.

Norlak said:
That would suck / especially the part where Geralt is doing the caring without me. What happened to our arbitary bromance Geralt?

Our supposed arbitary is delimited by the fact that Yennefer is a part of Geralt as his mutations make him a Witcher.Inseparable and inevitable.Happy or sad, that's another story...

I don't know whether the Witcher games will stretch beyond a trilogy, but I think it's important that the developers go out on a high note, before they've become tired of the property. Whatever the ending, whether in the next game or a few more down the line, I am confident that the denouement (whether tragic or gladsome) will be both meaningful and organic.

Celebrindal said:
I'm not definitely sure but if I remember correctly I've read in an article that the Witcher was considered to be a trilogy.

As much as I also would like to explore the Witcher's world again and again and follow the lifes of Geralt and his friends/enemies/...I rather prefer three high-class games and a satisfying (or non satisfying) end than a series which looses quality with every new part of it.
I understand what you mean. Yet, I think some more of Geralt's adventures would fit well into the world without losing quality. Like there was the main saga of the witcher and a bunch of short stories. I enjoyed the short stories quite a bit so something along the line would be nice.
Maybe they could do a trilogy but then there could be "tales of the witcher" series which would be something smaller yet rich in content. Or maybe a new several games long series with another big high-class story.

I'm a fan of the bitter sweet endings, but that doesn't mean there should be an option for people who want a 'happy' ending.

Top Bottom