Happy New Year 2009

+
Happy New Year 2009

[size=13pt] In some parts of this great great world the New Year's eve is already there and everybody is having a wonderful party (hope all got Wives' Tears ready to hand).Soon we all welcome the new year which hopefully has lots of excitements from the Witcherworld for us all ready.Time to wish everybody a [/size]
When your hangover is gone we welcome your special pictures you have taken (were able to take them) from the New Year's Eve and let us into your secrets of your country's tradtion on the New Year's eve.I will tell you what we do in Germany... tomorow. In a few hours we celebrate 2009 overhere and I finally wanna join the party

I have no idea what people do here in Canada, but since I don't have the ton of noisy Portuguese family, I usually spend a nice quiet nice with my husband.In Portugal we have some funny traditions:- eat 12 raisins at midnight- jump on a chair with the highest value bill on your hand- stand on the right legAll for luck, money, etc. :)Happy New Year!

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
Gelukkig Nieuwjaar!Nouvelle année heureuse!Glückliches neues Jahr!Nuovo anno felice!Ano novo feliz!С новым годом!¡Feliz Año Nuevo!Happy New Year!Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku!新年好!Καλή χρονιά!明けましておめでとう!새해 복 많이 받으세요!Laimingų Naujųjų Metų!

Yay, welcome to 2009 everybody! Happy New Year! :) May the new year bring you all bright and joyous blessings and opportunities :) hehehehe, it's nearly time for lunch here Down Under. I love thinking about time differences, it spins me out.
PetraSilie said:
When your hangover is gone we welcome your special pictures you have taken (were able to take them) from the New Year's Eve and let us into your secrets of your country's tradtion on the New Year's eve.
My New Years are always quiet. I usually spend the midnight under the stars with some candles and quiet music, and maybe some family (if they're still awake! :D ) and my partner if he's staying with us. Otherwise, if I'm on my own I don't mind. I spend the time reflectively meditating, farewelling and grounding the old year energy and raising new year energy. I'm born in January (on New Years Day, in fact) so I've always said it's my birthright to look backwards and forwards! ;) :DI get two New Year midnights when I visit family in New South Wales, as NSW is on Daylight Saving time, and Queensland (where I usually live) is on 'real' time. So NSW's midnight is really only 11pm. So I dutifully usher in both midnights, an hour apart :DI'm boring! I can't wait to hear New Year's stories and traditions from all over the world :)Happy New Year! :)

Ok lets get started.Traditions. Well, due to Orthodoxy religion in Russia, which were taken centuries ago from Byzantine Empire, Christmas here is on 7th January. So we have no Santa Clause, but we have Father Frost instead (almost no differences :D). And the Father Frost has a granddaughter, her name is Snegurochka :) There is a tradition to invite them to home before the New Year's Day (if there are any children at home :)) So it's a good buiseness to work as a Father Frost :D And we don't give presents on Christmas, but we do it on New Year's Day :)What can i say more? Some people still beleive that Father Frost exists and that it's he leaves presents under Christmas tree. :witchmas:

Hello, Happy New Year! Καλή Χρονιά! :wave:I live in a small village in the North-West side of Greece. We came here with my husband, 7 years ago, because we don't like Athens. I don't have to show you fireworks, only a photo from our humble party in the tavern. Here, some kids with a friend of mine, trying to dance. Nope, they don't know how to do it! :teeth:edit: I 'm sleepy and when i 'm sleepy i miss important things:Happy Birthday Lovely Psycho!

ifayra

Forum veteran
I'm born in January (on New Years Day, in fact) so I've always said it's my birthright to look backwards and forwards! Wink Cheesy
Your birthday? Then a happy new year and happy birthday to you Lovely_Psycho! :beer:

Happy New Year from snowy Finland!Around here, we don't have that many traditions when it comes to celebrating New Year. We just blow away some fireworks (practice which should technically begin at 18:00, but some people naturally blow them up throughout the day) and have parties that involve lots of alcohol (or not, depending on the party, of course). Sadly, I have no pictures to show, since I don't own a camera of any kind.Ah yes, and happy birthday to Lovely_Psycho!

ah oui! Bonne anniversaire et joyeuse fête, Lovely Psycho! :beer:champers, on me!Edit Happy New Year everyone! :beer: :beer:... here in Montreal, most people celebrate either at large gatherings or intimate ones, but typically a party with friends and loved ones and we wait until midnight for the big countdown and fireworks (visibility permitting! -- snow and cloud cover can be a problem) .. then you grab your partner (or some nearby victim) and kiss them! :) -- i think it's pretty typical of most of north america, but i could be wrong :)

Happy Birthday, Lovely_Psycho!Ok, so no fireworks here, but I can offer you a nicely chilled bubbly glass of sparkling apple cider. :DHappy New Year, Everyone.

Happy New Year from Pirna. :beer:I spend the night with my partner and his parents. We played games (dice poker - I won) and 12 o'clock we watched the fireworks. Maybe I can rdit the picture so I could post them.

I wish you all very happy 365 days. May all your wishes and future plans come true this year.

to you all. There are lots of interesting traditions how to celebrate the New Year.What we do in Germany? :hmmm:On New Year'e evewe do lead pouring or casting lead. The purpose is some sort of *prophecy for the coming year" ;D You can buy complete small set which contains a spoon (sure you can take your own silver or gold spoon), figurines made of lead. And it contains a "wise folder of interpretation". You melt the figurine in the spoon over a candle, when it's liquid you pour it into a cup of cold water. You take out the deformed chunk and turn on your imagination. If you figure out / recognise an item, symbol or what ever you check the wise folder what it tells you about your future of the new year.We also eat lots of Berliner. You can eat Berliner on other periodes of the year, too. But on New Year it's custom to eat them, don't know why, no we aren't cannibals :peace:And there is lots of fireworks and crackers to welcome the new year. Actually one should use it on the new year's eve but trolls start to blast the stuff as soon as it's available in the shops.

@ Petra: I guess there different kinds to celebrate New Years Eve in Germany. We eat Berliners (or "Pfannkuchen" how we say) on carneval.

Do you live in the "stronghold region of carneval?" ;D I've heard that but overhere in the north of Germany, there is no remarkable increase of "Berliners" during the carneval season.

PetraSilie said:
On New Year'e evewe do lead pouring or casting lead. The purpose is some sort of *prophecy for the coming year" ;D You can buy complete small set which contains a spoon (sure you can take your own silver or gold spoon), figurines made of lead. And it contains a "wise folder of interpretation". You melt the figurine in the spoon over a candle, when it's liquid you pour it into a cup of cold water. You take out the deformed chunk and turn on your imagination. If you figure out / recognise an item, symbol or what ever you check the wise folder what it tells you about your future of the new year.
Ah yes, we do that around here, as well. Or at least, we used to do. Dunno whether anyone actually does it anymore (no one I know does it, but that tells nothing).

My granny always said that on New Year's Eve you burn a green candle (preferably bayberry) all the way down, and you eat black eyed peas and pickled herring, for Health, Wealth, and Luck through the upcoming year.I'm fine on the first two, but with regards to actually EATING the jar of pickled herring, i have generally been willing to just take my chances..... :beer:Happy New Year!

Top Bottom