Hard start for non close beta player?

+
He has a point about new player get rekt out there. The game feel like pay to win if a new player, play agains player who used his 100 kegs to build a strong deck. And that's something CDPR really don't want. I just hope the matchmaking can fix that quickly

Last edited:
I have had a really negative impression of the Gwent community in my first few days of playing.

So far, and I have been keeping track, I have faced 9 (out of 27 games) players with the 'Cardsharp' or 'Rank 15' bord/title.

Of the 9 Rank 15 closed beta players:
6 of them did NOT send a 'Good Game', win or lose
4 of them endlessly spammed emotes the entire game (took for a bit to figure out how to mute the first time)

Of the 18 non-rank 15 closed beta players (at least those that did not declare):
5 of them did NOT send a 'Good Game', I think all of them lost
2 of them endlessly spammed emotes the entire game (!!!!)

Just to put it in perspective, I am clearly a new player with no border/nothing using a starter deck with only a couple of modifications (all of the starter golds/silvers pretty much) vs. refined streamer decks/netdecks full of powerful cards. I am clearly new and just learning the game, and have little chance of beating a rank 15 (I only won two games vs. them). Why the hate?

My heart sinks a little every time I have to face an experienced player, and not because I am about to lose.

I have never had this problem starting out in a CCG - and trust me I have a lot of experience playing them.

Last edited:
PandaLin;n8630430 said:
This is exactly what I feared. I had the same problem today. I meet a at least rank 13 player who had s complete dwarf deck. He was level 4. This time I got destroyed. Or meeting a level 5 player with both gold weather card.

Don't worry I was in closed beta and have opened about 60 kegs and I ran into a dude with RNR, SkelStorm, AND Drought... ya I didn't have a good time.

jamai36;n8638080 said:
6 of them did NOT send a 'Good Game', win or lose
Ya the GGing among people are terrible. So many sore losers in this game. I give a GG if I lose 95% of the time, mostly only hold if they drag out the game or over emote.

axelord;n8627350 said:
As a new play that enjoyed GWENT in the Witcher 3 this is exactly my experience. It's bad enough that I don't have any idea why a card doesn't do what it should but being matched with players with cards that I have no answer for kills my desire to keep playing.

Feels like there is no way to progress. Honestly I gave this game a couple hours and that's it for me.
"a card doesn't do what it should". Like for example which one?
And if you expect to jump into a ccg and start winning asap especially against player with much more experience you are picking the wrong genre. Give it time, real one not a couple of hours. You may want to try again in a couple of weeks when all the veterans will be in ranked or higher in the mmr.

With how combo reliant pretty much all the decks are it seems really hard to get into the game. Even after opening my 50 kegs from closed beta play + some challenges I still don't have the cards for one good deck. It seems that the main difference between this and other CCGs I've played is that there really are not any basic value decks you can play until you get the cards for the more complicated ones. Every deck has some combo it wants to do and if you're missing cards your combo becomes a ton weaker.

The problem is not "closed beta players" but rather "pay to win players" (aka people who spend money on the game buying kegs to get an advantage over other players).
The starter decks are garbage if your opponents play RNR and Drought every single game (i've even seen many non-weather decks run it), also people playing in Casual with Ladder ready decks and then bming opponents who use starter decks (thats called bullying by the way).
And all of this could be solved if we got matched against opponents with a similar collection size, don't know how hard can it be to program correctly but it certainly seems like the best way to fix this (mind you most if not all TCG have this issue).
:cheers:

By the way I was in Beta and even tho I have a decent Queensguard deck I've been playing starter decks on casual because it just feels wrong to do otherwise, I'm in no hurry to start laddering since season won't end soon.
:comeatmebro:

On my way to lvl 3 i owned quite a bit of cbt players.If people played other card games and its not so hard.I just spent a while reading what every card does(the desctiptions help as well) I use a ST deck.

Moridin2244;n8638400 said:
Don't worry I was in closed beta and have opened about 60 kegs and I ran into a dude with RNR, SkelStorm, AND Drought... ya I didn't have a good time.

You will laugh, but I got these 3 cards with these kegs. :listen:

It will be better, if the CB players reached a higher level and a higher rank in ranking. Currently everyone has to climb back to his/her place.

I was stupid I passed but RNR, I didn't realize how crazy powerful it was. Took an Old Speartip... didn't realize how much he was nerfed. Oh well I did better in my draws then others did so I won't complain. I can win about 70% of the time pretty consistently vs Closed Beta testers.

@Jamai36

That's terrible to hear. That's a really bad first impression indeed. I hope you didn't lose fate in the Gwent community because there are also a lot of nice and friendly players out there.

CDPR need to fix some legendary cards. some of them sure are broken. In close beta, I don't really remember one Gold Card that can comply destroy you. Igni was strong, Coral was annoying, Undertaker was creepy, Villentretenmerth was difficult but none of them was OP.

The new Gold cards however.... Coral instant deal huge damage to all enemy on a row. Gold Weather are crazy strong if you don't have a clear sky. Vernon Roche = 24 strength if you can make perfect use of his ability.....

I feel like 1 gold card now flip the board now.

Last edited:
PandaLin;n8640150 said:
Gold Weather are crazy strong if you don't have a clear sky
Even with Clear Sky. It's one of the issues with RNR, if you have units on all three rows RNR does 9 damage, you then have to use a turn to clear it with Clear Skies. That is 9 damage, a turn, and a loss of Clear Skies random summon abilities. That is a huge loss you're forced to take by somebody playing a single card and that is if you have its direct counter. If you don't... well it's pretty much a round ending card. It's bloody insane.

jamai36;n8638080 said:
Of the 9 Rank 15 closed beta players: 6 of them did NOT send a 'Good Game', win or lose 4 of them endlessly spammed emotes the entire game (took for a bit to figure out how to mute the first time) Of the 18 non-rank 15 closed beta players (at least those that did not declare): 5 of them did NOT send a 'Good Game', I think all of them lost 2 of them endlessly spammed emotes the entire game (!!!!)
Wow, that stinks. I've given and gotten a gg on every game I've played in casual thus far (haven't jumped back into ranked yet). I have had a couple who spammed emotes at me.

I always click GoodGame, I just kinda expect everyone to (maybe they should switch it so you get something if you send GG and are being courteous) no idea why people wouldn't.

Haven't had any spam emotes yet, I use them occasionally and have had like proper back and forths with them that have been really fun (maybe some people are still just working out what the different ones are?).

Regarding the OP I feel the CB players will up in ranks and stuff quicker so new people won't go against them much. It's a rough place at the beginning of OB but I would just tell anyone I know to give it a few days and just do the challenges and stuff.

Horribly, HORRIBLY unbalanced at this point

Either that or the player "levels" are totally borked. Playing "casual" matches against people same level who are dropping insane combinations that are impossible to counter. If the game is this bad this early what do higher levels look like? I smell a serious Pay to Win here.

When a game has a pay-to-win option, there will always be people who take advantage of it. Free-to-play players can definitely feel like they're at a disadvantage; I've certainly felt that way a few times in CB.

However, I believe the Casual matchmaking takes into account your win/loss ratios, so eventually those with strong decks and high winrates will no longer be picked as your opponents. Then again there are always going to new players who buy kegs with real money.

In any case, you get experience even if you lose, and daily reward progress only requires you to win one round per match. I know it can be frustrating to just lose constantly, but eventually you'll be certain to get kegs with great cards in them. Like with many things in life, patience and perseverance will be rewarded.

Keep playing, and practice, I think this is the key.... I feel like playing dark souls but with cards, I've lost many...many times with players with low level than me, but heey!! I've win to :D , for now I guess the monsters deck is really op.

PS: Sorry for the English.. I'm learning and practicing :)

It feels unfair because OB just started and a lot of CB players, who got experience with the game and keg rewards for participating in the CB, are still at a low level among the new players. Your best bet is probably to wait a week, until then be prepared to face better decks til the CB players move on.

rochambeau;n8646880 said:
Either that or the player "levels" are totally borked. Playing "casual" matches against people same level who are dropping insane combinations that are impossible to counter. If the game is this bad this early what do higher levels look like? I smell a serious Pay to Win here.

Those of us who played in the closed beta received a bunch of rewards for doing so, including kegs. You earned these by gaining ranks in ranked play and if you happened to buy a few kegs along the way [I bought some to help support the devs, because the Witcher games were fantastic, and Gwent is a lot of fun as well]. I believe there was another way you would get kegs when Open Beta arrived, but if there was, I don't recall offhand what that was. I wound up with something like 70 kegs, which is barely any compared to players who were in much higher tiers of ranked than I was. It was a nice reward for participating in the closed beta.

Added to this, there's also the fact that we'll be more experienced players, even without full collections anymore, so even with the changes that were made for Open Beta, the mechanics are still essentially the same, and the new cards/changes to old cards just require a tiny bit of tweaking. I imagine a number of players will move over to ranked play again once they hit level 10, so casual play will likely appear to be less 'unbalanced'. Give it a bit of time -- you'll find that scraps accumulate very quickly, and you'll get a lot of milling fodder with duplicates, because RNG is RNG.

There are always going to be some people willing to pay to complete their collections that much faster, but I don't think this game is really Pay to Win, since they've made it much easier than other games of its kind to earn crafting material and kegs just by playing. There's also the example of a friend of mine who was very shrewd during the last legs of the open beta with his deck building [he got in really late], and managed to build a monsters deck that could beat me soundly by focusing entirely on building that monsters deck by milling everything that wasn't neutral or monsters -- I was level 57, and he was under level 10 at the time, but he had cards I hadn't bothered to craft yet or hadn't gotten lucky enough with RNG to get.

Top Bottom