Hardware/Software Technical Discussion Thread

+

Guest 4310777

Different priorities. Not rich, I just don't spend the money I have on eating out, consoles, fancy new phones, mortgage payments or cars. I have basically one hobby, so that's where my funds go.

Not a fan of the 1050 in general, but I haven't looked into the Ti. I just know I was disappointed by the fact that it's significantly worse than last-gen's midrange GPU, heck, even the low-end GPU.

I have 1050ti in my second rig, it's great for 1080p at medium settings. Will push CSGO at over 200fps.

Different priorities. Not rich, I just don't spend the money I have on eating out, consoles, fancy new phones, mortgage payments or cars. I have basically one hobby, so that's where my funds go.

Not a fan of the 1050 in general, but I haven't looked into the Ti. I just know I was disappointed by the fact that it's significantly worse than last-gen's midrange GPU, heck, even the low-end GPU.

Also you recover a huge portion from selling the (still high end) used parts. I upgrade all the time. Like you say its a little hobby and really in grand scheme of things doesn't cost that much. E.g: Sold my 1080 for AU$725 and got the 1080ti for AU$950. Considering the premium for latest n greatest its not that bad.

I think ASUS has refined the production of their high end models, because they have been manufacturing the PG279Q for a few years now and mine is perfect. I could have just won the lottery (they have been known for backlight bleeding). My DELL ultrasharp had excellent brightness and color accuracy, when I upgraded to an LG ultrawide I was really dissapoint by comparison, so I sold it and got the ASUS. Best monitor ever. The only thing I would like is deeper blacks, but have to wait for OLED.

Hopefully they have. Like you say the back light bleed and uniformity, stuff like that vs say a dell or samsung.
Im surprised the LG was no good.

Unfortunately OLED has major burn-in problems. Otherwise its almost a holy grail of panel tech.
For blacks what you want is VA. Its come a LONG way and doesnt suffer from IPS glow. It has more colour & contrast shift on extreme viewing angles than IPS but nothing like TN which changes at a slight angle.

Ah. I have a few other hobbies besides gaming, like keeping my medical bills out of collections, and living indoors in a region where $1,500/month is considered "cheap rent". I guess that just goes to show how one's perceptions and tastes are affected by one's life circumstances and experiences. :)

The 1050 is a bit of a dog, but the 1050Ti is considerably more card for only slightly more money. Think of it as a 960 on sale for 30% off and with about 45W less power consumption. More importantly, it's low enough on the totem pole that crypto-miners didn't make them obscenely expensive; I got my EVGA 1050Ti FTW for $160 before the rush, and they currently go for closer to $240.

Also you recover a huge portion from selling the (still high end) used parts. I upgrade all the time. Like you say its a little hobby and really in grand scheme of things doesn't cost that much. E.g: Sold my 1080 for AU$725 and got the 1080ti for AU$950. Considering the premium for latest n greatest its not that bad.

It seems that Australia has a much better resale market than I've ever seen then. There was a happier time when I did buy high-end, but my experience is that even top-tier PC parts hold their resale value only slightly better than food does. That experience lessened the sting of having to "settle" for lesser gear that provides more value (like i5s and $150 video cards) once I started having to pay my own living expenses.

Ah. I have a few other hobbies besides gaming, like keeping my medical bills out of collections, and living indoors in a region where $1,500/month is considered "cheap rent". I guess that just goes to show how one's perceptions and tastes are affected by one's life circumstances and experiences. :)

Hah, those are fair goals as well.

Right now, I fortunately do not have those problems, but in a few years, who can say?

Assuming you live in San Francisco. :D

The 1050 is a bit of a dog, but the 1050Ti is considerably more card for only slightly more money. Think of it as a 960 on sale for 30% off and with about 45W less power consumption. More importantly, it's low enough on the totem pole that crypto-miners didn't make them obscenely expensive; I got my EVGA 1050Ti FTW for $160 before the rush, and they currently go for closer to $240.

The 960 is a good card, so if it's roughly on par with it, I'm certainly not going to complain too much. Always happy to see more people getting satisfactory performance out of budget rigs. I used my 970 for quite some time, I just made do with medium settings and all was well.

Assuming you live in San Francisco. :D

Seattle area, actually. But even with the 10% sales tax here, it's still less expensive than the rural Northeast once you take into account that I no longer pay the outrageous heating costs or electric bills I used to, and I haven't had to pay a plow guy since I moved. I've never lived anyplace cheap.

And yes, getting older can get expensive, so enjoy your youth ;)

Same boat as you. Except the mortgage. We after 15 yrs,paid ours off in 2016. That was a mountain off our shoulders. Don't use cell phones,cut the cable in 2004,as it was mostly lies and social engineering on the idiot box. We(wife and I) strictly cycle,walk or use public transportation.

Ah. I have a few other hobbies besides gaming, like keeping my medical bills out of collections, and living indoors in a region where $1,500/month is considered "cheap rent".

Sounds like our City. Wife and I live in Ontario,Canada. Yeah,shitty "free healthcare".Rents are insane,housing prices? are crazytown $$$.Evictions are skyrocketing,and have been since 2012,think doubling yearly from 2011 to 2016. Hardest part was dealing with evicting tenants,over the years, that fell into deep arrears. We bought a late 60s bungalow with 10% down, took in students and other boarders for the first 12 years,to pay down our mortgage faster,it was originally a 25 year open mortgage which was open to us making (when we could swing it,double or triple sized payments,) just a tiny sunken bungalow, but we have a small fenced back yard ,nice neighborhood, quiet, and property taxes and water are only a kidney,or your first born every year.

Your lot will improve !

PC gonna need downgrades as well.

According to what I've read this demo was running on a 8700k+1080ti. Very few have that card, and this was just the demo. I imagine that game world will require more.

It has been a long time since a game has pushed the hardware of a modern PC. I can't remember the last time I had to upgrade to play a game.

Since they've announced a partnership with GeForce for raytracing, I would guess that means dx12.

Is that an official reply?

I am only interested in knowing if the game will be playable on w7 or will it require w10. I have 3 PC's at the house one will soon have w10 to be a VR PC but the others will be staying on w7. Only thing good about w10 is dx12 the rest of it is garbage IMO so not keen on upgrading the OS on the other PC's just to run one game on them.

If the game uses Vulkan that would be fine as it run on w7 too.

Just not keen on supporting M$ and the manure they are pulling on w10 and not really interested in debates about it, just interested in information on if cyberpunk 2077 will work on w7 or not.

If not I would say they will lose lots of sales period regardless of anyone's personal feeling on w10, 7 or vulkan.

Again raytracing doesn't really have anything to do with the question. Raytracing isn't dx12 only, vulkan can do it too, in fact vulkan and dx12 are very similar except vulkan didn't stupidly decide exclude the still very very very popular windows 7 from working with it. Hell even M$ has back pedaled a little and allows dx12 to be ported to w7 if the game devs ask them for this.

This doesn't mean vulkan wont be supported? Vulkan supports raytracing too so the question isn't answered by this oblique twitter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom