Hardware Thread - General.

+
Well... this is what I'm worried about, too. I even created an in-depth topic with all the info I could find about the Witcher 3 downgrade controversy and how CDPR handled the issue by essentially lying to their fans/customers about it and making ridiculous excuses. But some MOD deleted it and moved my post the to some irrelevant thread discussing the lack of rain and night sky. I want to believe it was an honest mistake by MOD, but I'm too cynical.

You can find what I wrote: click here> CDPR, we need to talk about that "GAME ENGINE FOOTAGE." < click here

Shady behavior like that is not going to stop me from making a new thread and pointing out this behavior from the mods when we eventually find out that "GAME ENGINE FOOTAGE" statement means nothing because consoles cannot handle what we saw in the trailer.

CDPR has stated in the past that they learned from their mistakes. We shall see... they can't take back the trailer now that it's out in the public. I'm all for gameplay over graphics, but I'm not going to be lied to again, ever. FACT!

I don't understand people who think the downgrade thing is going to happen again.

Judging by the in-engine trailer, the game looks about the same as GTA. Textures aren't ultra-crisp, models aren't STUPIDLY unfeasible... it all looks like a current-gen game. A pretty one, but nothing current consoles can't handle.

TW3, on the other hand? THAT looked insanely, unrealistically good. But you could push your graphics pretty close on a high-end PC.

So I'm not worried. I think the game will look mostly like it did in the latest trailer.

There might be a new console generation before CP 2077 release, so I would not worry about it now. ;)

Seems unlikely, the website lists specifically Xbone and PS4. I would think if they weren't going to be on current gen, they wouldn't list current gen on the game's site.

I don't understand people who think the downgrade thing is going to happen again.

Judging by the in-engine trailer, the game looks about the same as GTA. Textures aren't ultra-crisp, models aren't STUPIDLY unfeasible... it all looks like a current-gen game. A pretty one, but nothing current consoles can't handle.

TW3, on the other hand? THAT looked insanely, unrealistically good. But you could push your graphics pretty close on a high-end PC.

So I'm not worried. I think the game will look mostly like it did in the latest trailer.

Watch the Official trailer in 4k on youtube, not for the 4K but for the image quality. 720p, 1080p and 1440p all have artifacts (terrible compression) and don't show you exactly how crisp the visuals are. 4K version fo the trailer is the only one close enough to the original source. The textures look really, really, unrealistically good. No friggin way it's not going to be downgraded for PS4 Pro, XBOX One X/S and PC (unfortunately). Just pause whenever you see the Cityscape or scenes with dynamic lighting and the shadows drawn in those scenes. The shadows are insane. View distance is insane!

I looked at the GTA V videos and they are foggy as hell at that distance (look at the Arasaka Building with the rotating hologram).

Last edited:
I'm honestly not concerned with how it looks on my PS4 because if it looks as good as most of my PS4 games I'll be thrilled. When the next-gen consoles come out, I'll buy it again.

I think ultimately it depends on how picky you are when it comes to graphics. I can play Witcher 3 on minimum settings at 30fps and still think it looks stunning, and then I see people playing with everything on ultra at 80fps and they're still complaining that it doesn't look good enough.

From the graphics we've seen I would assume if you're happy with the performance of the Witcher 3 on console then Cyberpunk will also be fine. But I guess we don't really have enough information yet so who knows.

Watch the Official trailer in 4k on youtube, not for the 4K but for the image quality. 720p, 1080p and 1440p all have artifacts (terrible compression) and don't show you exactly how crisp the visuals are. 4K version fo the trailer is the only one close enough to the original source. The textures look really, really, unrealistically good. No friggin way it's not going to be downgraded for PS4 Pro, XBOX One X/S and PC (unfortunately). Just pause whenever you see the Cityscape or scenes with dynamic lighting and the shadows drawn in those scenes. The shadows are insane. View distance is insane!

I looked at the GTA V videos and they are foggy as hell at that distance (look at the Arasaka Building with the rotating hologram).

"...The demo was impressive, hinting at typically dystopian themes, lots of player choice, and many, many different guns.

What’s most striking is that it looks like a real game. Cyberpunk 2077 isn’t shockingly pretty or full of astounding pre-rendered graphics—it looks like a video game built to run on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, with an impressive, humongous world that may live up to the bar set by Velen and Skellige. CD Projekt Red won’t commit to a release year—which is smart, until they’re absolutely sure—but for a game that was teased in 2013 and has been MIA until now, they showed quite a bit. Put another way: this isn’t Final Fantasy VII Remake."

https://kotaku.com/cyberpunk-2077-is-a-violent-impressive-blend-of-deus-e-1826807140

I think ultimately it depends on how picky you are when it comes to graphics. I can play Witcher 3 on minimum settings at 30fps and still think it looks stunning, and then I see people playing with everything on ultra at 80fps and they're still complaining that it doesn't look good enough.

From the graphics we've seen I would assume if you're happy with the performance of the Witcher 3 on console then Cyberpunk will also be fine. But I guess we don't really have enough information yet so who knows.
It's not about being picky, it's about the whole E3 culture of showing your audiences a vertical slice of your game and making them expect one thing and then delivering something else. Most developers are guilty of this. People are starting to wise up to it.

Look, I have 0 problems with a downgrade if it was justified, and in TW3 it was. The consoles cannot and will not, ever, give you superior visuals than what you can achieve on the PC. The problem is with devs lying to their customers like CDPR, unfortunately, did in the past. I want to know what I'm buying is what was being advertised to me from the very start! What I don't want is to be shown one thing and then sold something else like CDPR did with TW3. It was a beautiful game, but it was downgraded nonetheless, how much doesn't matter. (the degree is arbitrary - Geralt).

So that "GAME ENGINE FOOTAGE" from E3 2018 has to mean something, otherwise don't proudly stamp it on your video, boasting about your game engine's capacity for peak visual fidelity. Just like how the VGX 2013 trailer for witcher proudly claimed that all of that was REDengine 3. And then what we got was not even remotely close. It's trickery!

Games change during development, also kee in mind that our playable version will have some differenece
whether it's good or bad, time will tell
I'm sure the game will look great in all platforms

IDK, after reading previews from the demo it sounds like this game will have very very hard time to run on PS4/XBOX ONE. Read this for example: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...-50-minutes-of-william-gibson-level-insanity/ ... And Arstechnica is more tech site than gaming site. Very similar thing was said by Digital Foundry guy (another tech oriented site)
other spectacular moments in the demo gave me utter pause. When bullets explode and whizz through a wall—a cool moment that emphasizes promises of destructible environments—they're followed by incredible, dusty rays of light. When V rides in a crime lord's car, depth-of-field and reflection effects drench the dense, varied scenery whizzing by through a car window in one of the most cinematic car-ride sequences I've ever seen in a game demo (real-time or CGI).

That's nothing compared to the audible sound of 60 demo-watching jaws simultaneously hitting the floor when V finally stepped into the full streets of Night City for her first time. The number of detailed, varied, and stylish people walking around these streets, all animated in decidedly different ways and organically interacting with each other, was staggering. These weren't animation or outfit clones, either, as the game's bold leather-and-plastics neo-hipster style emphasized. My feeling was only amplified by the dense apartment towers surrounding the scene with even more people in the near distance. The whole thing looked like it required no less than three times the rendering budget of Witcher 3's demanding Novigrad City sequence.

Last edited:
Well, CDPR did say it would be current and next gen, but there also have been rumors that it will be Xbox X and PS5 only... so yea, there could be downgrades for current gen hardware.

I'm thinking CDPR will pull a Rockstar and release CP2077 on XB1 and PS4 as well as on Xbox Next and PS5.

This leads me to believe a 2020 release date.

Just hope that scaling for hardware is done well.
Downgraded for lite systems and intensive for the systems that can handle it.

Based off of all the behind closed doors demo impressions, cyberpunk stole the show and legit looked like a breathtaking game. On a PC.....................

How the hell is CDPR going to handle the backlash because I don't see how WHATEVER this game is will be able to run on current gen consoles, at least the base ps4 and base xbox.
It will 99% sure only be available on the revised versions of the consoles, they keep insisting the game will be released on this gen.
Beyond that, that's the nature of consoles, you get what you signed for I guess.

Also its a bit much to expect full fidelity when a ton of people have spent twice or thrice the amount of a console just on their GPUs.

Also its a bit much to expect full fidelity when a ton of people have spent twice or thrice the amount of a console just on their GPUs.
Yeah, never really understood this.

It's not a "PC MASTER RACE" thing, but if I spent $900 on my GPU, uh, yeah, I think it's alright for me to say the game should look and run better on my system than a console. Not like I'm pooping on your choice or anything, but as others have said, you get what you pay for. :confused:

PC gaming is my hobby, and it's where my money goes (I'm by no means rich), the only expensive stuff in my life is my tech gadgets and my PC hardware. Since I've made sacrifices in other areas to make that possible, I think it's perfectly reasonable to get mileage out of my choices. Same deal if a console player spends their money on dining out, a fancy new TV, or their kids, or a vacation...

But... I don't think it's unreasonable for console players to expect a game that runs well on their system for $60. The FPS should at least be consistent, the graphics should be solid (doesn't need to be horrendous or gorgeous). Nothing wrong with any of that. I think it's a bit silly to expect every game to run at 60 FPS on such old hardware, of course.

Guest 4310777

Honestly, I would expect it to look more or less the same in terms of shader complexity and world detail, what you are going to get on consoles is decreased LOD distance, lower resolution textures, lower resolution shadow maps, lower screen resolution (probably 720p), 30 FPS cap.. and such.

It sounds like a lot, but actually, once you lower the screen resolution you lose the ability to resolve most of the other details anyway, for instance 8K textures at 720p is going to result in most texels being sub pixel most of the time.. so it makes sense to scale all of these various details together and then performance will increase beyond a linear relationship with screen resolution, as it usually does with deferred rendering. Anyway, that's enough rambling.

TLDR; expect the same difference as the Witcher 3 on PC and Console

Yeah I guess this is the game my next upgrade is coming for.

But it all depends on when the actual release is.
(My personal guess is 2019 for PC + current Gen Consoles and 2020 for the next Gen Consoles)

Currently I have this:
Intel i7 4790K (4Ghz)
Nvidia GTX980 (4GB)
16 GB RAM
Along with stuff like SSD drive, 144hz Gsync Monitor etc.

That should at least run it in an acceptable way but CPU (+Mainboard) and GPU are in for a change I guess.

Top Bottom