Hardware Thread - General.

+
Predictions from game debate expect a GTX 1070 as the recommended and that it'll be a more demanding title than most. At 1080, I don't think you'll have much trouble though.

You'd also have to remember that though development might've started in 2013/14, that active development only started as of May of 2015, with good rumor that a lot of pre-development got reworked. I'd raise expectations for CP77 to be equivalent to a 2017/2018 game.

Last edited:

Interesting, though I’d have to ask myself how you managed to derive these numbers. The development of tech, or software, rarely follows a straight and neat line air line that can be correlated with a trend line.

Adds up roughly with what the greater body of tech sleuths out in the internet have speculated though, so I don’t expect you to be far off. I mean, that it’d Be a high-end, non-RTX card and 16 GB of RAM on the board is almost a given. 1070 or 1660ti seems obvious.

Either way, I’m looking forward to the official system specs at E3, almost more than the release date.

Last edited:
The announcement of system specs will be interesting indeed.

I'll consider upgrading to an RTX 2070 if necessary, but it might introduce some bottleneck issues. I wonder if anyone can tell me with some degree of certainty weather or not the RTX 2070 will suffer a significant bottleneck in relations with the i7700 processor? I've been looking around the net, but it's hard to get a conclusive answer to this question. I expect some bottleneck issues, but I am wondering if it'll be so bad that it's not worth the upgrade?

The announcement of system specs will be interesting indeed.

I'll consider upgrading to an RTX 2070 if necessary, but it might introduce some bottleneck issues. I wonder if anyone can tell me with some degree of certainty weather or not the RTX 2070 will suffer a significant bottleneck in relations with the i7700 processor? I've been looking around the net, but it's hard to get a conclusive answer to this question. I expect some bottleneck issues, but I am wondering if it'll be so bad that it's not worth the upgrade?
https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i7-7700/GeForce_RTX_2070/0KR12xlu/

You may try this.

I will prob upgrade my gear later this year, thinking about building a new pc to be honest... I'm considering a i7 9700k, z370M Aorus chipset, 32gb ddr4, rtx 2080 TI 11gb, 480gb SSD.

I want to play CP2077 and maybe stream it for a while, what do you guys recommend? Is that spec really good or is it just too much (kinda overkill)?

I will prob upgrade my gear later this year, thinking about building a new pc to be honest... I'm considering a i7 9700k, z370M Aorus chipset, 32gb ddr4, rtx 2080 TI 11gb, 480gb SSD.

I want to play CP2077 and maybe stream it for a while, what do you guys recommend? Is that spec really good or is it just too much (kinda overkill)?
That system, while super powerful and relatively future-proof (OK not relatively, definitely), is way overkill. Absolutely go for it if you'd like -- I did the same with my current rig a few years ago; got the best parts I could.

In terms of "What will get me great performance without being top-of-the-line," I say ditch the 2080 Ti and grab a 1080 Ti. I can't speak for streaming as I've never done it, but you could probably cut that RAM count in half as well. Also, the 8700K will do you fine if you go for the 1080 Ti instead. Unless you really want the RTX features, which is understandable.

My suggestion would be an i7 8700K, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1080 Ti.

You're going to want more storage than that 500GB SSD. I'm rocking 2 at the moment and I still run out of space pretty often. Strongly considering a third.

I'd go for a 500GB exclusively for games you really care about (and want fast loading times for) and your Windows installation (for fast boot times). Some people have UAC issues by installing their games on the same disk as Windows, but usually that only becomes a problem if you're modding.

Anyway, in addition to the SSD (PCIe NVMe is highly recommended!), I'd get a 2TB HDD or, even better, 2 1TB HDDs for fewer points of failure.

Also, do yourself a favor and get a high-quality surge protector. I've lost more than one hard drive due to being stubborn on this count.

2018 Ti will probably be overkill, but if you have the extra cash to burn, that whole rig seems fine.

I can't speak for streaming as I've never done it, but you could probably cut that RAM count in half as well. Also, the 8700K will do you fine if you go for the 1080 Ti instead. Unless you really want the RTX features, which is understandable.

My suggestion would be an i7 8700K, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1080 Ti.

You're going to want more storage than that 500GB SSD. I'm rocking 2 at the moment and I still run out of space pretty often. Strongly considering a third.

I'd go for a 500GB exclusively for games you really care about (and want fast loading times for) and your Windows installation (for fast boot times). Some people have UAC issues by installing their games on the same disk as Windows, but usually that only becomes a problem if you're modding.

Anyway, in addition to the SSD (PCIe NVMe is highly recommended!), I'd get a 2TB HDD or, even better, 2 1TB HDDs for fewer points of failure.

Also, do yourself a favor and get a high-quality surge protector. I've lost more than one hard drive due to being stubborn on this count.

Appreciate your advice man!

I don't have much knowledge about pc building or pc gaming but an acquaintance of mine suggested a 1080 Ti as well -- now I see he has a point.

I'm only considering a 2080 Ti because here in Brazil the 1080 is kinda hard to find nowadays. What about the regular rtx 2080 8gb? They're cheaper and I heard the difference between the Ti and the regular one isn't so noticeable for people like me.

I have a Toshiba 1TB HDD, will probably stick to it (along with the 480 SSD) for a little while.

I had to google what a surge protector was lol, around here we call it "régua" or "filtro de linha". Already have one, but thanks anyway -- that thing is a lifesaver!

I don't have much knowledge about pc building or pc gaming but an acquaintance of mine suggested a 1080 Ti as well -- now I see he has a point.

I'm only considering a 2080 Ti because here in Brazil the 1080 is kinda hard to find nowadays. What about the regular rtx 2080 8gb? They're cheaper and I heard the difference between the Ti and the regular one isn't so noticeable for people like me.

I have a Toshiba 1TB HDD, will probably stick to it (along with the 480 SSD) for a little while.

I had to google what a surge protector was lol, around here we call it "régua" or "filtro de linha". Already have one, but thanks anyway -- that thing is a lifesaver!
The 2080 is a great choice, too. :) Happy to help. Its still a bit overpriced in my opinion (Nvidia usually takes a while before they lower costs, which is why the 1080 Ti is a good value if you can get your hands on it -- which obviously you cant, as you said), but it's much much cheaper than the 2080 ti.

480gb too small for SSD.
Use that for your o/s and a few programs and get a 1tb SSD for games and other apps.
Given the size of games nowadays 500gb will be used up very quickly. You dont want to be running games, especially ones with dynamic, 'on the fly', scene loading off a HDD. You dont need Nvme. get a evo 860 - NOT qvo. (qvo uses QLC memory, you dont want that on an o/s drive or other high write drives)

e.g:
c: 500gb ssd - o/s and a few programs
d: 1tb ssd - games and other apps
e: HDD - mass media storage. Video, music, photos etc.

You dont need 32gb of RAM unless youre doing rendering work or some other intensive professional workloads. 16gb is a-ok.

Like others have said, the 2080 is good. The 1080ti is roughly the same and can be bought cheaper 2nd hand.
If you need the system now grab the 1080ti and upgrade to the 3080ti. It can help buyng and selling often, especially GPUs.
This rtx thing really threw a spanner in the works. Kudos for nvidia bringing hardware raytracing to the table but nix on the crazy price.
Its the first time I have a skipped a GPU generation since skipping the gtx 480 a decade ago.

Last edited:
480gb too small for SSD.
Use that for your o/s and a few programs and get a 1tb SSD for games and other apps.
Given the size of games nowadays 500gb will be used up very quickly. You dont want to be running games, especially ones with dynamic, 'on the fly', scene loading off a HDD. You dont need Nvme. get a evo 860 - NOT qvo. (qvo uses QLC memory, you dont want that on an o/s drive or other high write drives)

e.g:
c: 500gb ssd - o/s and a few programs
d: 1tb ssd - games and other apps
e: HDD - mass media storage. Video, music, photos etc.

You dont need 32gb of RAM unless youre doing rendering work or some other intensive professional workloads. 16gb is a-ok.

Like others have said, the 2080 is good. The 1080ti is roughly the same and can be bought cheaper 2nd hand.
If you need the system now grab the 1080ti and upgrade to the 3080ti. It can help buyng and selling often, especially GPUs.
This rtx thing really threw a spanner in the works. Kudos for nvidia bringing hardware raytracing to the table but nix on the crazy price.
Its the first time I have a skipped a GPU generation since skipping the gtx 480 a decade ago.
Aye, I'm also skipping the 2000-series. Especially disappointing because even if I wanted to upgrade to RTX, the 2080 doesn't offer better performance in the vast majority of games.

Huh...

It's interesting to see what people think about this RTX 2000 series.

I was very convinced to get a 2080 (both the regular and the TI would fit me) at first, but now I'm seriously concerned I might be wasting money.

Huh...

I was very convinced to get a 2080 (both the regular and the TI would fit me) at first, but now I'm seriously concerned I might be wasting money.
Well, the 2080 Ti is a very, very powerful GPU. It's better than both the 1080 Ti and the 2080 -- well, at least noticeably better. So it's a good choice if you can spare the cash and don't already have one of those GPUs.

But for those of us that already have a 1080 Ti or an equivalent, it's just way too expensive, and the 2080 (non-Ti) offers identical performance for an extra price premium. So not only too expensive, but not beneficial.

TL;DR Don't be dissuaded if you can afford it. If the 1080 TI isn't available in your area or you just want RTX/better performance, it's a good choice. If the 1080 Ti is available and you don't want to spend the extra cash, I'd say go for it instead.

Last edited:
Huh...

Concur with Snowflakez.
If ran on 4K then i would go for a 2080ti. Its a must. Its a beast of a card that comes with a beastly price.
Alternatively if my monitor was adaptive and i wanted high refresh at max graphics then 2080ti would be worth it.

Keep in mind that @ 1440p in some scenes in intensive games the 2080/1080ti dips a little below 60fps. Assassins Odyssey for e.g.

I have a 2015 32" 1440p 60hz monitor. Given that theres no 100-144hz adaptive 1440p 32" 16:9 monitors on the market that have better uniformity then the one i've got im fine for now. I'll upgrade to 3080ti (mid-late 2020?) regardless if i upgrade monitor or not, i want to not drop below 60fps and keep it cool & silent (less power draw = less heat = less noise) and the newer gens do that. They more efficient. That is one reason to pay more for the 2080 over a 1080ti.

Also games are ever more power hungry. I cant see 4K on my horizon for a long time. (even with a hefty budget/flagship card)
Use that GPU power to run more realistic graphics , not 9999999999 pixels. Minecraft will still look like minecraft @ 8k

Last edited:
I built my last rig almost more than 6 years ago, back when 1080p at 60hz was the norm.

I've become knowledgeable again by brushing up on the latest hardware, but there's one thing that eludes an old foggie like me:
How much more powerful does my PC need to be to play at QHD, 1440p?

Let's say the system requirements for Cyberpunk will be a GTX 1070. Is that on 1080p? If so, how much more powerful does my GPU (and comparable CPU) need to be to handle 1440p?

How much more powerful does my PC need to be to play at QHD, 1440p?

It depends on the game. Have a look at Hardware Unboxed's youtube channel and gamers nexus for extensive benchmarking.

On a 1080ti wolfenstein or some other low demanding game will net very high fps and possibly never dip below 100.
Assassin Odyssey as stated dips down to 58 fps (but its rare).
You really dont want any game getting below 60 for too long a period. If you have a lower GPU then youd need to lower settings on high end games. Some settings can alter fps quite drastically without being too noticeable.

Step up from 1080p to 1440p is a fair amount:

1080p 1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 pixels
1440p 16:9 2560 x 1440 = 3.686,400
1440p 21:9 3440×1440 = 4,953,600
4k = 3840 x 2160 = 8,294,400 (why its ludicrous)

The thing with 1440p is that its the min resolution you need for large monitors. Otherwise you see individual pixels. Using a large monitor is sooo much better than a sub 30" - for both work and play. Id suggest a 2nd hand gtx 1080 minimum to do 1440p justice.
Keep in mind im talking about 16:9 1440p. Recommend it over 21:9. More forgiving, more compatible with other media and work and 32" same DPI as 24" 1080p (defacto font size standard) so 0 scaling issues. Also a 32" 16:9 is larger screen area than a 34" 21:9.

As said games get ever demanding. If a GPU struggles with games at a given res now its going to be worse with newer games. Who knows what Cyberpunk will really require. The best GPU on the planet cant even do 4k justice, let alone games of tomorrow. (granted with that high res you can turn off AA and that reclaims a decent amount of fps).

Regarding CPUs, if its fine on 1080p it will generally be ok at higher res. GPU power will be the bottleneck, not CPU. It helps if you have intel. There is a fair margin between ryzen and intel. Ryzen better at certain rendering and other workloads but really unless youre doing that for work, for most of us, our priority is gaming performance. ( we can wait a little longer for that movie to re-encode)

Last edited:

Since the 10 series is getting harder to find the 2070 is roughly comparable with the 1080 and the 2080 is on par with the 1080ti.

Also as far as storage goes, I can't suggest an m.2 enough. If you are willing to drop 2080ti kind of money you can pick up a 1 or 2 TB m.2 drive to get more than enough of practically instantaneous storage for your OS & applications (along with the breathing room to make sure you don't start throttling your IO as you fill it up). I think an m.2 is overkill for most people, but an HDD or even a traditional SSD are probably not going to make the most out of the hardware on your list.

Since the 10 series is getting harder to find the 2070 is roughly comparable with the 1080 and the 2080 is on par with the 1080ti.

Also as far as storage goes, I can't suggest an m.2 enough. If you are willing to drop 2080ti kind of money you can pick up a 1 or 2 TB m.2 drive to get more than enough of practically instantaneous storage for your OS & applications (along with the breathing room to make sure you don't start throttling your IO as you fill it up). I think an m.2 is overkill for most people, but an HDD or even a traditional SSD are probably not going to make the most out of the hardware on your list.

For games and most software the difference between a current gen SSD and NVME drive is negligible. way faster than a mechanical drive, but not than each other. it has other advantages like form factor allowing for very compact builds for instance.

Do you think I'll be able to run it with a GTX 970, i5 3570 and 8GB RAM? I'll probably be able to upgrade a little, but if this is enough I'm good!

Do you think I'll be able to run it with a GTX 970, i5 3570 and 8GB RAM? I'll probably be able to upgrade a little, but if this is enough I'm good!

We cant be sure since the system specs haven’t been released, but by my estimate, you’ll be able to run it at the sheer minimum settings. Even then, game might struggle a bit.

Again, I'm pretty confident Game Debate's predictions are in the ballbark. https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=4614&game=Cyberpunk 2077

Your rigs meets minimum, but it'll be tight and I wouldn't be surprised if the real minimum turns out to be higher.

Top Bottom