Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun games

+
O-M-F-G, it's amazing. Feels even better than Dragonfall: in dialogues, in ambience, in gameplay - and this is the highest praise in my book

I agree. I just completed the Whampoa mission and I was really impressed with all the possible choices you could make, even completely non-lethal was possible. Also cool to see different etiquettes come more into focus. The matrix is a major improvement, soundtrack is amazing and the writing is top-notch as usual. My only complaint is that they are still running with a mobile-centric UI despite being a PC exclusive.

Well, it's seriously corrupting my social live for the last couple of days :lol: And still quiet far from completing

And I'm falling deeper in love with their writers. Speaking with the crew is simply beyond enjoyable, can't choose whom I adore more: posthumanist psychopath, ghoul with judgemental view on Bushido, or Gobbet.

why am I lying to myself here, Gobbet is da best

Now it gives even more vibe of a good book than previous games.

Last edited:
My only complaint is that they are still running with a mobile-centric UI despite being a PC exclusive.
Yeah, that's the one department where Harebrained Schemes could (and should) still learn a thing or two from other PC-tailored games, the recent batch of Unity-made ones coming out of the NWOOScRPGs in particular. The way dialogues are handled is a nice and functional change from the traditional log-like at-the bottom-of-the-screen approach and shouldn't necessarily be tampered with but things like inventory management (in general and across all squad members) or the tracking/reviewing process of pending, active or completed jobs' specifics/progresses could definitely use an overhaul, as far as I'm concerned.

Same goes for the rather rigid and constrained structuring and layout of the environment. There are of course all kinds of sound reasons why it's tile-based and probably will stay tile-based, like providing the structural prerequisites for the turn-based combat to work in the first place or that it just lends itself to the depicted urban landscape with its flat surfaces, sharp edges and straight lines but I definitely wouldn't mind if future Shadowrun titles would go for a less strict and orderly design of the environments, or at least make an effort to not let the graph paper show through that much, if that makes any sense.

Take Wasteland 2, for instance, which does an excellent job in hiding its underlying tile-based foundation, of course primarly because being fully 3D instead and taking place in a far less urban setting, but also by allowing unrestricted 'off the grid' movement, at least until it switches to turn-based for combat and movement snaps back to the grid again. Still makes a considerable difference though, since you're not in combat most of the time.

Other than that, Shadowrun: Hong Kong has left a VERY good impression so far. I wouldn't necessarily place it above Dragonfall (yet), but at least on par.

The matrix is a major improvement, soundtrack is amazing and the writing is top-notch as usual.
Amen, seconded and in-fragging-deed.

A definite highlight in the writing department has to be:
that back and forth two fronts dialogue segment during Is0bel's mission at the Decker convention, where you have to help Is0bel talk her way past someone from the hotel staff while at the same time trying to fend off another convention attendee from taking your place at some sort of kiosk/phone booth you're using to guide Is0bel through the convention.
Brilliant.

If you're still not convinced or don't give a flying devil rat's arse about the game's role playing aspects (although you should), please consider that in this game you can also whip people to death with a retractable fishing line coming out of your arm.

Last edited:
Completed all four endings yesterday, still processing my feelings about it. Even the best of them filled with sensation of unfinished, endless struggle against the rules of this world. It's sad to say goodbye to main characters, like it was in previous games (and every good book).
So, can't wait for upcoming DLC and new UGC campaigns :)

The only thing which I regret about is that I didn't pledge enough for physical goods, such as statuettes of crew members

Last edited:
Completed [highlight]all four endings[/highlight] yesterday, still processing my feelings about it.
Spoilers, chummer!

So, can't wait for upcoming DLC and new UGC campaigns

The only thing which I regret about is that I didn't pledge enough for physical goods, such as statuettes of crew members
Additional content from Harebrained Schemes themselves seems unlikely(?), with slowly ramping up and getting the ball rolling for the BattleTech crowdfunding campaign this Fall. Wouldn't mind to be proved wrong though.

Additional content from Harebrained Schemes themselves seems unlikely(?)

They've announced additional mini-campaign back on KS, it was their 1,000,000$ stretch goal. Here's the info: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1136112

ETA - early 2016, if I remember correctly their comments. And it will be free for all backers from minimal 15$ pledge

And I wouldn't take '4-5 hours' literally, since they teased Hong Kong as 15-20 hours campaign, but it took well over 40 hours for me :D

P.S. sorry for that thing about number :)

Last edited:
P.S. sorry for that thing about number
No sweat.
Wasn't that big of a spoiler anyway, in hindsight.
Others may think differently about it though (even more so just one week after launch), so anything related to crucial parts like the ending is best kept between spoiler tags or otherwise obfuscated for the time being.

They've announced additional mini-campaign back on KS, it was their 1,000,000$ stretch goal. Here's the info: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1136112

ETA - early 2016, if I remember correctly their comments. And it will be free for all backers from minimal 15$ pledge

And I wouldn't take '4-5 hours' literally, since they teased Hong Kong as 15-20 hours campaign, but it took well over 40 hours for me
Right, the post-release mini-campaign, totally forgot about that one.
Thanks for the reminder.

Finished yesterday by going for [highlight]the scholastic shrewd solution[/highlight]. Not only because of my character's build (silver-tongued shotgun wielding Decker-Mage hybrid) but also for [highlight]the satisfaction of having tricked the devil[/highlight]. Felt really good.

Doesn't make up for a few questionable changes and glaring oversights however:

- Spirit summoning: Limiting the risk-reward approach present in Returns and Dragonfall (more AP vs. higher chance of breaking free) to just come into play when summoning spirits from fetishes seems inconsistent. Also kind of devaluates Spirit control?

- Combat difficulty: In short, encounters are way too easy. Even on 'Hard'. In particular some of the fights you'd think would be significantly tougher than others ([highlight]like the face-off with Gaichu's former Renraku Red Samurai squad mates or the final boss battles[/highlight]) turn out to be walks in the park. I basically had to deliberately hold back with Karma distribution/acquiring better gear and gimp myself in order to at least retain some sense of a challenge.

- Stealth: With a bit of trial and error it's actually possible to figure out how stealth and sneaking past enemies works but to call it 'wonky' or 'messy' in how it's implemented would be quite an understatement. I guess without tying it to turn-based it wouldn't be possible in the first place (since your fellow shadowrunners will always try to maintain a certain distance to the PC like a bunch of clingy ducklings) but having to constantly switch in and out of combat mode just to be able to take control of individual squad members (and to coordinate with sometimes unpredictable enemy patrol routes on top of that) seems a bit too heavy-handed. Kind of a missed opportunity here as well, with only one of the later side jobs presenting you with the opportunity to take the stealthy approach.

- Gaichu's presence and how people react to it: This started out very promising
only to never come up or be brought up again for the rest of the game. Understandable but still somewhat disappointing. If the writers/designers/artists at least would have given him a hood or some headpiece disguising his ghoulish features when on a run (and an alternate portrait to go along) it could have really made a difference.

There are a couple more things that don't sit quite right with me, but that would go into nitpick country, and we can't stop there.

Still a very worthy addition to the Shadowrun series, all in all. Strongly recommended.

Gaichu's presence and how people react to it

Most hilarious part is if you would bring him to DeckCon:

people gonna troll him that his cosplay costume is bad and inaccurate which pisses him off :lol:

In short, encounters are way too easy. Even on 'Hard'

Definitely, and it's really unfortunate. I've heard (retelling of interview which I didn't watch myself) that they didn't have enough time to test Very Hard prior to deadline, planning to add it later.

Last edited:
Update #39

What We’ve Been Up to Since Launch!

It’s hard to believe an entire month has gone by since the launch of Shadowrun: Hong Kong. It has been quite a whirlwind and we didn’t want too much time to go by before we let you know what we’ve been up to.

Shadows of Hong Kong Mini-Campaign
The Shadowrun writing, design, and art teams are moving full speed ahead on the upcoming Shadowrun: Hong Kong mini-campaign. Set in the weeks following the events of SR:HK, the mini-campaign will give you - and your team - the opportunity to turn the tables on the corrupt cops who once hunted you. Through layers of corporate greed and urban strife, you will contend with powerful enemies, uncover a deadly conspiracy, and cement your reputation as a Prime Runner... assuming that you survive, of course. The SR:HK mini-campaign is due to launch early in 2016, and will be free to all Kickstarter backers at the $15 level and up.

A New HBS Shadowrun Series Wiki!
For our UGC creators (or wanna-be UGC creators!), alongside the release of the game, we also launched a new Wiki! You'll be able to find information covering all three Shadowrun games, the Level Editor, and User Generated Content (UGC). The core game sections have information regarding the missions you'll run, the NPC's you'll meet, items that can be acquired, and much more. (Beware of spoilers if you haven't finished your first play through!)

The Wiki also includes tutorials and information about the Shadowrun Level Editor. While we've covered the basics, the more interesting tutorials have always come from community members trying things that we never imagined! If you’re interested in trying to create your own mission, this is a great place to start.

Digital Rewards
In addition to the mini-campaign, we’re also working to make sure the remaining digital rewards are delivered on time. Mel Odom is making good progress on the eNovel and our friends at Catalyst Game Labs are working on both the Panorama Poster and the Sourcebook. In the meantime, we’re pulling together the Audio Commentary, Digital Map and the annotated version of Into the Shadows. We’ll let you know when they’re available in your BackerKit account so you can download them.

Physical Rewards
We’re also happy to report that the Messenger Bags and SR:HK Figures are on a ship making their way to our fulfillment house. We anticipate they will arrive toward the end of October and then we’ll begin to ship them out. If all goes well, everyone should have their bags and figures by the middle-to-end of December.

In preparation for this, we’ll be sending out an email from BackerKit soon so you can confirm your shipping address. After you receive it, you’ll have 48 hours to confirm or make changes before we lock down that information so please don’t delay in responding.

If you are an International Backer, we will be charging your shipping fee to your BackerKit account. If BackerKit already has payment information on file, you will be automatically charged. If you do not, we will follow up with an email soon telling you when and how to add that information to your account.

Fan Reactions and Reviews
It’s been great to see how you’ve enjoyed the game and reacted to the story and characters - not just on the Kickstarter page but on our social media channels and in the emails you’ve sent us.

We also love to see how our work has prompted so many people to use their creative energy in support of the game. If you make fan art, be sure to share them with us on the Harebrained Schemes Facebook page so everyone can see them.

And we’re glad to see so many people participating in the jivebot fun on Steam, Facebook and Twitter like this:

We’ve also gotten some great press reactions! Here are some quotes that really made us smile:

"In year to come people will be comparing the new cRPGs to Hong Kong, because it’s easily a benchmark for what developers in the RPG arena should be looking at when designing their games.” Hardcoregamer

“The game is gorgeous, and cyberpunk fans will find a lot to like in the neon signs and hissing pipes of Hong Kong’s busy backgrounds.” idigitaltimes

“I’ve been playing
Shadowrun: Hong Kong this week, the latest [expansion/new game/whatever they want to label it] from Harebrained Schemes, and it’s a bit like pulling on an old, comfortable pair of cyberpunk-approved leather pants.” PCWorld

Softpedia
- http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/games/pc/shadowrun-hong-kong-review-489932.shtml
IGN - http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/11/shadowrun-hong-kong-review
Eurogamer - http://www.eurogamer.pl/articles/2015-09-03-shadowrun-hong-kong-recenzjahttp://ragequit.gr/reviews/item/shadowrun-hong-kong-pc-review

We'll be back with more information soon but for now, it's back to work!!
HBS

PS: We know there are a lot of Shadowrun fans out there that also love BATTLETECH and, if that’s you, we want to make sure you saw this!

You'll find Social media Image covers as well as Wallpapers for Desktops, Tablets, and Mobile devices here. http://battletechgame.com

We hope you'll help us spread the news by using this image on your own social media pages with the message: “Join the #BATTLETECH #Kickstarter Invasion! 9.29.15 - Alpha Strike commences 10am PDT http://battletechgame.com”. Thanks!
kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1356490

Update #40

Mini-Campaign Concept Art! Plus a Reminder about Physical Rewards...

In addition to working on a new patch that will be released in the next couple weeks, the team is in creation mode - building a new hub, honing the story and doing concept pieces for new environments.

Here’s one that Tristin’s been working on. Across the board, the team is totally stoked to have an Underwater Lab in the game!

Reminder: Confirm Your Address for Physical Rewards!

If you backed the game at $150 or up, you should have received an email from BackerKit asking you to confirm your address. Don’t delay! We will not be able to send your physical rewards until you confirm your address.

If you are an International Backer, we need you to do two things. First, if you do not have payment information in your BackerKit account, please add it by October 2. We will be charging accounts for shipping shortly after that. Second, confirm your address so we can send it to the correct. We will not be able to send your physical rewards if you do not do this. You can recover your BackerKit account at this link. Please contact us at http://harebrained-schemes.com/about/contact/ if you have any questions.

Cheers!
HBS

And, for those who asked for the reminder - the BATTLETECH Kickstarter has launched as of 10am PDT today! Jump on over to the Kickstarter page to find more information about the game, our co-funding goals, rewards, and more!

kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1367094

One would hope that in the future, and specially in technologically developed societies, they would have learned to use the proper "km/h". Looks good either way!

The Shadowrun PC Games

I am currently playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Until now I haven't had any contact to anything related to Shadowrun (except reading the Neuromancer if that counts) and I like game very much.

I already own Shadowrun Returns and I'm thinking about buying Shadowrun: Hong Kong sooner or later.

Can you please tell me if the order in which I play the games is important and what do you think about those games?

We already have a thread about the Shadowrun series here.

There isn't really an order for playing these games, because the stories are all self-contained. However Shadowrun Returns is the first of the series and Hong Kong the last. You can see how the engine and the games developed: With Returns being really linear and up to Dragonfall HBS tried to recreate the Bioware formular with a quest hub and fleshed out companions.

I don't know if you know it but HBS is working on a mini-campaign for Hong Kong which will be a dlc for everyone who didn't back the Kickstarter campaign. It's due to released at the beginning of the next year.

Update #42

Happy Holidays from the Shadowrun Team and HBS!

The Shadowrun team has enjoyed exploring more of the people and places in Hong Kong as they’ve worked on the mini-campaign over the last couple of months. We’re looking forward to sharing it with you in the new year after a healthy dose of iteration, bug fixing, and a final coat of polish.

Part of that exploration included some new concept art. This is one of the pieces that Tristin created as part of a series of pre-production sketches. The sketches let the team flesh out ideas for various environments you'll explore as you play through the Shadowrun: Hong Kong mini-campaign. In this case, Tristan wanted to show the design team the juxtaposition of a heavy military warehouse in the middle of a busy harbor town. Plus, he said it was just fun to paint!

Shadowrun: Hong Kong TaiPo Concept Piece

Audio Commentary Update

What do you get when you put 11 Shadowrun: Hong Kong dev team members in a mic’d up room, tell them to talk about the game, and press the “record” button? Some great stories, unexpected insights, and a true behind-the-scenes look at indie game development in the trenches. We’re excited to get the many hours of recording edited down to digestible highlight chunks for you to enjoy in our upcoming audio commentary update. That update will be available around the time of the mini-campaign's release. Then you can play through the original campaign again, listen to the commentary embedded in various scenes, and have a fresh save game to transfer to the mini-campaign.

Happy Holidays - A New Desktop Image for Everyone!

We asked Dave Nash (our primary portrait artist for Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Dragonfall) to paint us a classic Shadowrun scene for the Digital Poster Panorama Kickstarter reward. We think the illustration is awesome so we wanted to share it with everyone as a desktop wallpaper too! It's a diptych so you'll find both halves of the image separately and the whole image in different sizes in your BackerKit account.

And Delivery of the Digital Map and Panorama Poster Rewards!

We’re also pleased to deliver the Digital Map of Shadowrun's Hong Kong in poster resolution for all Street Cred Backers ($25 and up) and the Diptych Panorama Poster with the Shadowrun Timeline and Glossary for our Sprawl Ganger Backers ($35 and up). Again, you’ll find links to the files in your BackerKit account.

You’re welcome to take these files and have them printed. Depending on where you do that, you may be asked for a letter that gives you permission to do so. You’ll also find that in the Dropbox. Just print it out and bring it with you.

Final touches are being made on the Hong Kong Sourcebook, eNovel and Annotated version of the Into the Shadows Anthology and we’ll be delivering them towards the end of January.

Physical Rewards Update

Just about all messenger bags and figure sets have been shipped at this time. If you haven't received yours yet, please check your BackerKit account to make sure you gave us your shipping address and the correct shipping fees were paid. You can use this link to recover your account: https://shadowrun-hong-kong.backerkit.com

If you have a balance on your account, use our Paypal address (paypal@hbs-studios.com) to send us the outstanding amount. Then, send us a copy of the Paypal confirmation using our Contact form. http://harebrained-schemes.com/about/contact/. This will allow us to expedite the process of sending your rewards.

If your shipping address and fees are in order, please use our Contact form at http://harebrained-schemes.com/about/contact/ so we can help you track down your package.

Happy New Year! The team has worked hard all year long so we’ll be closing the studio to give the team a well-earned rest between Christmas and won’t be back until January 4th. We wish you Happy Holidays and a very Happy 2016!
kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1450186

I am thinking about a new build I wanted to test out before the mini campaign drops.

My first character was a mix between a decker and a sammy. Karma wasn't the problem, but getting the best mods for cyberware.

So this time I'm gonna straight with the nuyen and it will be a troll who only uses cyberweapons. Does anyone have a list of all bioware and cyberware featured in the game plus the costs of it?

In HK I've tried pure hermetic mage build with mostly attacking spells for the first time in SR games (and I've played about 5-6 UGC campaigns besides HBS-made). But I'll definitely will try new cybergear.
Going to play through mini-campaign with my mage character, then will beat "The Caldecott Caper" UGC-campaign (continuation of amazing "Antumbra Saga" for Returns/Dragonfall) as cybered sammy. And I have a backlog of other UGC-campaigns from Returns/Dragonfall which I want to try.

BTW, Monofilament Whip was implemented in "A Stitch in Time" UGC campaign for SR: Returns back then, it was cool :)

Top Bottom