Harmony Rank Climber: Portal or Oak?

+

Guest 4404014

I wanna pick your brain on this matter. What is better (relatively) for a good, functional ST harmony deck meant for climbing ranks: Portal or The Great Oak? I have played some harmony with Portal, and it's nice and strong, thins beautifully, the gimmick of 6 Fledglings in turn 2 is a thing to behold, but lacking in flexibility and hard to tech with the restriction of having only Fledglings as 4pr units. Also, not having Fledglings in your hand to max value from Portal (and having it in hand) is rng nightmare, and deck can't afford more than Matta for pulling/thinning. (and Royal Decree or Call of the Forest. Btw, side question: why would people ever use Call? Mystic Echo is taken by Waters of Brokilon anyway, and Call can't pull Bomb Heavers or Matta)

I'm currently saving scraps for Oak but should I? What advantages/disadvantages Oak might have over Portal? I want a more balanced, less exploitable, more midranged deck with some with improved removal and all-round improved winrate. Is Oak worth it?

Well, Oak will give you both reach and control on your opponent. You can use it in critical times. That besides you are commiting too much into same type of gameplay. Having 6 of the same engine will make you upset when your opponent has row removal. And also we dont have that much treant units. So having both Boar and Oak will increase your chance to get Treant value when playing ST harmony. I would definitely go with Oak.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Even though i really hate Oak and think its overrated, in this comparison i would recommend Oak, because:

1) Portal for Fledglings can provide thinning, but it can also brick your hand, if opponent plays a Matta and you get a Fledgling before you play your Portal and you dont have anymore 4p cards.

2) You shouldnt play 6 fledglings on the same round, and you should distribute each pair on different rows, specially when Igni is so popular, Harmony decks are so vulnerable to Igni you dont even need to line up a big play, the Harmony deck will do that for you

3) Oak has Harmony triggers. Treant Boar will trigger it, and will most likely get targeted hard. If he survives, great, but if he doesnt, that means Oak will trigger Harmony for Treant once more.

Guest 4404014

Well, Oak will give you both reach and control on your opponent. You can use it in critical times. That besides you are commiting too much into same type of gameplay. Having 6 of the same engine will make you upset when your opponent has row removal.

Yeah but doesn't Oak encourage row stacking? I crafted it today and the first deck I was against - ironically - was traps/movement on non-ranked.

So having both Boar and Oak will increase your chance to get Treant value

There's also Weeping Willow.

ST harmony

One question about it. Does it make any sense to use Dryad Fledglings without Portal?
Post automatically merged:

You shouldnt play 6 fledglings on the same round, and you should distribute each pair on different rows, specially when Igni is so popular, Harmony decks are so vulnerable to Igni you dont even need to line up a big play, the Harmony deck will do that for you

Sure. Miners work well to keep one of the harmony units above the others. Or Beckenbauer.

Oak has Harmony triggers. Treant Boar will trigger it, and will most likely get targeted hard. If he survives, great, but if he doesnt, that means Oak will trigger Harmony for Treant once more.

Yeah, similar thing with Hawker Smugglers and Pavko. But in my experience Smugglers look great on paper but in practice don't work well.

Top Bottom