Harvest of Sorrow introduces too strong bronze cards

+
I notice that 2 bronze cards are too strong
1. SK Messenger of the Sea
2. NR Meditating Mage

1. SK Messenger of the Sea is a 6 provision card but it can gain several boost. If Harald Gord was nerfed to limited boost points he can has. I doubt that SK Messenger of the Sea should be limited too?

2. NR Meditating Mage
Normally Resilience is a legendary's ability. it appears on mostly legendary card except one epic which quite RNG to get resilience. However, NR Meditating Mage is an only 4 cost but can gain not only resilience but also a carry over vitality on top of that. The fix can be -- gains resilience if no other Meditating Mage you control has resilience. This still good for the 4p cost and not too strong.

what do you think?

Messenger is INSANE!!!! I really don't understand why are they sticking with such ridiculously overpowered ability. Beta Axeman, HC Greatsword and now this. It will eventualy get nerfed and reworked, the ability is just unhealthy for the game.

Meditating Mage is not that bad, i think. I played against it twice and won both games easily, so i'm not sure how strong it is in a bad matchup.

Meditating mage requires set up, and the help of other cards to really get moving. All that Messnger needs is to be on the board. They can both be answered of course, and I think I see an increase in the use of Squirrels in the future.

Messenger of the Sea needs to get the same treatment as Greatsword. Its boost amount needs to be capped. I tried them earlier and I got both of them to 50+ power in R3 after getting Rioghan out of the graveyard. This is just stupid beyond belief especially since removing this card is almost impossible. You always play it with rain on the board so it gets to 6 points or more in just 1 turn.

Resilience is also a status that needs to remain exclusively for gold cards. NR has just way too many ways of spawning these Mages. While not as toxic as Messenger of the Sea, it is still way too good for a 4p card. Alumni is far worse compared to this one, and it is a 6p card.

These cards are good but control decks still beat them.
And that is an issue as well. This game has been control/removal heavy for months already. All because more and more of these greedy decks just pop up. This control/removal heavy meta has made the game way too one-dimensional, boring and devoid of creativity.

A big complaint Gwent got was that it was too draw reliant since golds were so much better than bronzes. This is their attempt at addressing that. It is not a bad idea. Messenger seems overtuned though.

Rage of the Sea players have two 6 prov engines that can tick up to pre-nerf Kolgrim levels and be brought back on the board with a 5 prov alchemy special? Seems like this should not have gone past testing. Forcing everyone to play Xavier Lemmins hopefully was not the design goal.

Last edited:

DC9V

Forum veteran
what do you think?
I think that the "design team" is several months ahead. Cards like Messenger of the Sea and Rioghan the Undying were probably the reason why Slama said that Squirrel "could be dangerous to Skellige", back when it got introduced.

rrc

Forum veteran
I think that the "design team" is several months ahead. Cards like Messenger of the Sea and Rioghan the Undying were probably the reason why Slama said that Squirrel "could be dangerous to Skellige", back when it got introduced.
So, you are saying many months later ST will get a 4P special card which is soooo bonkers that Filavandrel's 12p will be justified? :p

Or, may be, when it comes to SK, the dev team is months ahead and when it comes to ST, the dev team is years behind (in allocating provisions). The design of the cards are all really good for ST and SK equally, but provisions, there is a HUGE difference.

So, you are saying many months later ST will get a 4P special card which is soooo bonkers that Filavandrel's 12p will be justified? :p

Or, may be, when it comes to SK, the dev team is months ahead and when it comes to ST, the dev team is years behind (in allocating provisions). The design of the cards are all really good for ST and SK equally, but provisions, there is a HUGE difference.
Agree regarding ST. Many ST cards are overcosted, provisions-wise. Many SK cards are cheap and powerful. However they mess up SK too from time to time. Case in point, the reworked Artis. For what he does, he should not be 12 provisions. More like 10 provisions.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

DRK3

Forum veteran
Even though SK is my favourite, i NEVER liked this type of cards that boost when enemies are damaged, right since the first time they were around, with beta's axemen, then HC's greatsword and now messenger of the sea.

The worst part of this is the neverending cycle - they are introduced, they create lots of balance issues in the meta, they eventually get nerfed or reworked (way too late)... and then the devs seem to forget what happened and do it again. :shrug:

Like they are literally the same as the old greatswords. It wasn't even that long that they nerfed them. It's cool now, though?

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Top Bottom