Has anyone else noticed the obvious graphical downgrades?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
While the picture to which you are referring specifically doesn't look good imo, the rest of the ones posted in this thread look far better in detail and color than the gameplay footage that we have seen. Everything now looks muddy, for lack of a better word.
I'm just addressing the extreme hyperbole here with that picture which is... astonishing to say the least.

I have to say that I'm generally less concerned about graphics (not a graphics whore), but even I noticed significant difference between what we saw earlier and what we see today.
Not claiming there isn't. I was just really surprised that people are genuinely going to lengths to bring up an old screenshot that looks like it popped out of 2007 to claim it looks better than the footage we saw and actually believe that.

Last edited:
Yeah sure. But I'm still angry to the fact they showed us that beauty that is the SoD trailer telling us: "This is ingame footage" just to show us later on a greatly worsened version. They always said they are not the kind of people that makes vertical slices, but as for now it appears otherwise.
Tbh, if Witcher 3 was an PC exclusive - I believe the game would look exactly or Even better than in those "in-game" trailers/screenshots we saw.

Just look at those textures FFS. TASTY!

Last edited:
It would be nice if you didn't post the same pictures repeatedly in full length, put them in spoiler tags otherwise it becomes a scrollfest.

Sorry, but what console centric UI? The UI is just fine, just because it works on consoles as well as on PC, it doesn't mean it's console centric and please don't give me the radial menu crap.

As for the graphics, it may not be as pretty as the initial trailers, but there's still plenty of time to optimize performance and be able to crank it up to 11.

But even as it is now, I'm loving it. What I love about the Witcher is the unique atmosphere and deep story, awesome art/design of the world and the characters, not some generic fantasy stuff (sorry but DA comes to mind for a reference).
Compare Witcher 1's UI with the Witcher 2. The Witcher 1 had a UI that allowed for gameplay built around a keyboard. The 2nd game had a UI with horrible inventory management, shrinking menu selections, the radial menu (yes it is a valid complaint), and was obviously designed with a controller in mind.

Not claiming there isn't. I was just really surprised that people are genuinely going to lengths to bring up an old screenshot that looks like it popped out of 2007 to claim it looks better than the footage we saw and actually believe that.
There were also 2 other screenshots which you were afraid to pick, and then even more examples. Good to know we understand each other.

Do you even know what's a texture? Oh wait... seeing your post history it's obvious that you don't.

High res textures and post processing don't make a game look good. There now it looks like the bullshots

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2014-08-19-21h30m14s18.jpg
    vlcsnap-2014-08-19-21h30m14s18.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 47
But that's exactly what ashen blonde looks like, not even a chance of error but oh well, rather not steer offtopic.

Not at all, "blonde" is a very important part of "ashen blonde". What Ciri has can only be described as silver or white. But it really isn't a major issue so I'll agree that we shouldn't steer away from the topic at hand.

With months of optimizing left I'm a bit surprised at how this thread has taken off. And the heavy concerns of "console first" graphic priorities. It's all speculation until release. Hopefully the dev keeps things completely hidden until launch to prevent recycling these threads every time the game gets a new public display.

I hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me if that is what happens. People are constantly wondering why everything is behind closed doors and devs are so shy about showing anything except short cutscene trailers these days ... and topics like this is exactly why. The internet is quick to judge without context or tact. Those fire effects don't look as good? Obviously, the game has been downgraded and CDPR must have sold out!

http://i.imgur.com/pq0BQso.jpg
The lighting engine is obviously much worse. Also textures have been altered as well as particle effects, like the lack of burning soil/grass as a result from the use of Igni.

I have been a die-hard Witcher fan since day one; I even ordered the collectors edition of the first game the day it came out. My fears of downgrading with the release on consoles seem to get worse after each new video that I watch. I really, REALLY hope CDProjekt hasn't compromised their integrity; however, with each new video I get even more worried.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Here's more http://i.imgur.com/ZOU1X9v.jpg
For example, the foliage at the top is a LOT denser than the bottom. The bottom has grass spread out with terrible textures beneath.

Fresh green grass does not catch fire so easily, also these are two different areas of the game at two differet times and screenshot quality may vary.
So yeah the lighting will be different, think about it;)

View attachment 5418

High res textures and post processing don't make a game look good. There now it looks like the bullshots
Are you serious? Are you telling me that the game with 4k resolution will looks exactly like the one at 720p resolution? Are the game with high post processing/textures/shadows/Anti-Aliasing will looks exactly as the one without those features? Just stop posting stupid shit that makes absolutely no sense. It hurts my eyes to even see such comments, this is probably the most ridiculous comment that I have seen in a while.

P.S. I can bet you never had a decent PC.

Last edited:
Tbh, if Witcher 3 was an PC exclusive - I believe the game would look exactly or Even better than in those "in-game" trailers/screenshots we saw.

Just look at those textures FFS. TASTY!

That's the whole point. I expected them to make the PC version with a similar visual appeal on max settings, while on consoles it would look like running the game on medium/high settings on PC.
Instead it appears we won't have that level of graphics, I'm just questioning why it's happening.

Graphics look amazing. A fantastic combination of fidelity and visuals. If there was a downgrade then I can hardly notice it. What does bother me are the somewhat frequeny framerate drops. I hope this game will be well-optimized. It will have to be considering how good it looks.

Are you serious? Are you telling me that the game with 4k resolution will looks exactly like the one at 720p resolution? Are the game with high post processing/textures/shadows/Anti-Aliasing will looks exactly as the one without those features? Just stop posting stupid shit that makes absolutely no sense. It hurts my eyes to even see such comments, this is probably the most ridiculous comment that I have seen in a while.
P.S. I can bet you never had a decent PC.

Texture matters least, you can mod a 2000 game to have more high res textures than 2014 game, it will still look like crap. I bet you think this image looks good

http://i.imgur.com/pq0BQso.jpg
The lighting engine is obviously much worse. Also textures have been altered as well as particle effects, like the lack of burning soil/grass as a result from the use of Igni.

I have been a die-hard Witcher fan since day one; I even ordered the collectors edition of the first game the day it came out. My fears of downgrading with the release on consoles seem to get worse after each new video that I watch. I really, REALLY hope CDProjekt hasn't compromised their integrity; however, with each new video I get even more worried.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Here's more http://i.imgur.com/ZOU1X9v.jpg
For example, the foliage at the top is a LOT denser than the bottom. The bottom has grass spread out with terrible textures beneath.

Wow, nice comparison. But...you know...compare direct feed screens with youtube (or even not direct feed videos) screens isn't a good affair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom