Has anyone ever seen day-time cyberpunk?

+
Im talking cyberpunk not futuristic. I dont believe i have. This could be the first time in history. Which makes the trailer even more amazing.
Been thinking a bit about it I believe the taxi story in heavy metal might have had a few shots in daylight but can't confirm. even so it would have been on a very small scale.

Robocop, Total Recall (2012), Chappie, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Nemesis (movie), Cyborg (really post-apoc but eh), Altered Carbon (maybe not in the city, but in other scenes), Appleseed, Ghost in the Shell, Black Magic M66 - I know there's other examples but that's a few off the top of my head. Whether or not everyone considers what I've listed as 'cyberpunk' is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. Bottom line, day time and cyberpunk are not mutually exclusive - nor is the mixture some mind-blowing concept =)

I think some of the Shadowrun games have day time sections in them, though they where not designed to the same level graphically. I would also count DesEx as cyberpunk myself so there are at least a few day time sections in those.

Some things you want to do during the day-time.
In the morning most of non-corporate Night City is sleeping off the night before, great time to scout locations and move around with a much reduced chance of being interrupted by some wacko, thug, gang, etc.

In the morning most of non-corporate Night City is sleeping off the night before, great time to scout locations and move around with a much reduced chance of being interrupted by some wacko, thug, gang, etc.

IF the dicerolls go right, you might just see the lights go off and have to decide off/on that.

Trazon

Forum regular
I understand that people associate Night time with Cyberpunk, because of the setting and the Lights and the nightlife.
I get that and agree to a point, but what I find even more to the setting, is seeing that world in daytime, without the Mask of Darkness and Shadow, and Glowing lights.
Seeing the Run down building, broken pavement, the people in full daylight and not in Sharp relief of Shadow and Neon, to me is the face behind the mask that is Cyberpunk, at night the world could be extravagant and rich, but strip away the shadows and the neon, and it is grim, and darker even in sunlight.

i honestly like daytime cyberpunk a lot more than night time because of that trailer. night time was been done to death.

Trazon

Forum regular
i honestly like daytime cyberpunk a lot more than night time because of that trailer. night time was been done to death.
It has, and I understand why, it is aesthetically pleasing, and viewers tend to love it. SO much so, that If it is Cyberpunk, the Sun doesn't exist. But my earlier post, shows my thoughts on that.

Of course? Many cyberpunk works have scenes set during the day. Now that I think of it, most works that I've seen or read in the cyberpunk and post-cyberpunk genres have blue skies at least at some point. The whole "rain at night" thing is an homage to film noir that just happened to become a trope. Film noir, of course, having become a thing and peaked in popularity during the heyday of black and white film, when sunshine and blue skies were not able to be shown off properly and the gloominess of neon-lit metropolises could be exploited.

Of course? Many cyberpunk works have scenes set during the day. Now that I think of it, most works that I've seen or read in the cyberpunk and post-cyberpunk genres have blue skies at least at some point. The whole "rain at night" thing is an homage to film noir that just happened to become a trope. Film noir, of course, having become a thing and peaked in popularity during the heyday of black and white film, when sunshine and blue skies were not able to be shown off properly and the gloominess of neon-lit metropolises could be exploited.
That is actually a very good point, Yuli, and it also has to due with people love latching on to tropes, especially those who only semi follow genre's. But the Black and night raining scenes are prevalent that is for sure.

Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Hardwired, Snow Crash, Diamond Age, The Artificial Kid, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, The Shockwave Rider, When Gravity Fails, Headcrash, Islands in the Net... I could go on ad nauseam, but daylight cyberpunk is ubiquitous.

I never associated cyberpunk with night (be it the genre or specificaly CP2020) A lot of CP movies, if not the most have a lot of action going in the daylight, also some games. The whole Sprawl Trilogy is set mainly in a day time. Most CP2020 games I ran took place both at night and in the bright day light. The trailer did not strike me as unusual with its depiction of a day time Night City. I was something I kind of expected. However, a lot of people lost their shit about that... "Mom, they ruined the gamefor me!!!!!!!!!!" :)

"Remember Me" had really great Cyberpunk aesthetics, and refreshing from typical american architecture/setting. Good chunk of the game played in daytime.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't someone who worked on lighting for this game, now in CDPR? ( I can't find reddit post that mentioned it)

I think trailer was "very reserved" and in "plain daytime" because they're still tinkering with visuals/lighting. CDPR had a huge changeover not too far from release and could be they're trying to avoid this.

Top Bottom