Has Iron Judgement finally killed Gwent?

+
I think removing abilities from some bronze cards and lowering the provisions for them to 1-3 cost might help with this more than trying to make every card functionally viable.

I agree with most, but have to disagree with this suggestion. If the devs were to introduce 1-3 provision cards, we would be returning to the beginning of Homecoming, where a lot of bronze cards were junk to be discarded, which also created a higher variance making the card draw more important and leading to more RNG.

I agree with most, but have to disagree with this suggestion. If the devs were to introduce 1-3 provision cards, we would be returning to the beginning of Homecoming, where a lot of bronze cards were junk to be discarded, which also created a higher variance making the card draw more important and leading to more RNG.
It's one of those things that cuts both ways. On the one hand I can think of instances where I'd have been happy to have a few very low cost, no effect bodies to fill the last slot or two in a deck. Given that all 3 str 4 provision units do something, having 3-4 str no ability cards (or even 1 str+1 pt non-repeatable DoD) in the 1-3 provision range isn't really that overpowered even if it does increase the potential for create to get at least one brick.

On the other hand, there is the bronze disapointment factor we had at the start of HC. This I think is one of the big problems Gwent has in trying to balance player satisfaction, bronze power and create/clone mechanics in the one game. Where all bronzes are functionally viable , players are happy to draw them and build decks around their synergy. However strong bronzes means create/clone no longer has any drawback. The only way to limit this, without going back to open beta create, is to make faction bronzes only work in pure faction decks (e.g. if you have only ST cards in your deck, unit ability triggers) and that's a bad design. Finding that sweet spot for potential bricking of create or clone is a tricky one and I don't think we'll ever have it at a state where risk is proportional to reward.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say Iron Judgement has killed gwent but I would agree with the OP in so many things. I can’t see how any new player would enjoy playing the game. I’m not a superstitious person but the amount of “bad luck” that happens is unreal.

Every time I play a thinning deck I get screwed with the mulligans and ALWAYS, and I mean always, end up with unwanted cards in my hand (Roach, impera brigade).
Every time I play a deck relying heavily on leader ability I face Lockdown/ usurper ability deck.
Constant counter decks in matchmaking.
Relentless meta decks.

It’s pretty boring.

It may not have killed it, but it hasn't salvaged it either.

For me personally, Gwent is very much on life support right now. I was so disappointed with Homecoming, but was willing to stick with it in the hope that CDPR could still turn things around. My first impression of HC was that it was like an early beta, and based on development progress in the original beta, I figured it would take about 9 to 12 months of steady positive progress to hone it into a good and enjoyable game again.

I wouldn't classify the last 12 months as steady positive progress. Things have been all over the place and mistakes keep being repeated. There have also been some questionable design choices, with cosmetics taking priority over gameplay. Sure, it looks more fancy now, but it seems to get less and less fun to play. It is also obvious that they are desperately pumping out more and more new content at the expense of addressing long-standing problems. They may grab a quick boost with the mobile launch and a few new flashing lights and distracting baubles, but such weak foundations will not support this game in the long-term.

Yes, I'm being quite harsh, but I think the track record to date is not reassuring. I don't like to be so negative about something I used to enjoy so much, but my faith is almost entirely extinguished. Good will and good memories only go so far.

This does not necessarily mean that I think Gwent is about to die, but it is very close to dead for me.

What really killing gwent for me is it's instability.
1 run 2 displays, 1 for gwent, 1 for water/firefox or TOR. TOR is plague since 4.0.0 - on average game hangs in 20-25 mins, i.e. after 1 match. If I switch focus window for w/e reason - 90% it will die.
before Iron jusgment everything worked fine.

Such things like tanks, cheaters (last thing I loled hard is 3 Imp golem random opens in a row out of 5 cards) - bothersome, but managable.

Also they can make at least 1 min cd before disconnect losing. Some people think longer

I get the feeling Gwent has the mobile roll of the dice and if that doesn't work it will disappear ahead of Cyberpunk 2077.

I'm pretty sure this mobile thing will be a huge disappointment. It may give the game a initial bump (as with every patch), but once people figure out how broken the game is and how much in need of actual proper balancing and not only QOL updates, it will be doom.

... plus that new ProNeo scandal with the tie trading in tournaments that blew up on Reddit yesterday (a perfect timing by him and his cronies, BTW).

Guest 4368268

I'm pretty sure this mobile thing will be a huge disappointment. It may give the game a initial bump (as with every patch), but once people figure out how broken the game is and how much in need of actual proper balancing and not only QOL updates, it will be doom.

... plus that new ProNeo scandal with the tie trading in tournaments that blew up on Reddit yesterday (a perfect timing by him and his cronies, BTW).
If they want mobile players to enjoy it then they ought to bring back Blitz and keep it permanent. I doubt people on the bus have 20 minutes to spend on a single game as the game (especially since Homecoming) can be very slow if you run into a heavy/slow thinker.

I was just thinking about the "blitz" (aka season of the draconoid seasonal) mode yesterday and how much I miss it. It was nice to pick up a few rounds to quickly reach my 18 or 24 round winning objectives and very watchable on Twitch stream.

If they want mobile players to enjoy it then they ought to bring back Blitz and keep it permanent. I doubt people on the bus have 20 minutes to spend on a single game as the game (especially since Homecoming) can be very slow if you run into a heavy/slow thinker.

Tbh I can ignore all broken aspects of this game if BLITZ made a comeback.

I dont know if this game can truly be balanced, because with each expansion some 'balanced' aspects never see play. Discard was a thing back then, with Lippy tier 1 nerf outcry. Well people got what they wanted. I'm a bit scared of pointing out the aspects that need balancing, as balanced, or rather, overnerfed cards may not get buffed in the next 6-12 months after the occurance. Lambert got reworked, after how long ??!

Honestly, I don't know what's there to enjoy. There are barely 4 or 5 different decks viable to win matches, which screams that the game is without any kind of depth or intelligence.

For the most part, because of the lack of intelligence or experience needed, it's either a stream of the boring, same NG seize decks or the dull-as-dishwater Mystic Echo mega-dwarves. There's little/no real skill involved, because so many units are either obvious or OP.

Then you'll find a slightly lesser stream of more complicated decks, namely NR with it's Pincer Maneouver and Roche (seriously, has anyone played against any other leader ability since Iron Judgement?) or SY with some of the worst removal the game's ever seen.

Beyond that, there might be the odd MO Arachas deck, but that's pretty much the sum total of the game. And every game, after game, after game.

If you relent and play one of the META's then you're at the whims of whatever passes for the Gwent script....I mean....matchmaking and deck dealing. Some games you absolutely cannot win, because RNG-sus hates you. Other matches, you'll see your opponent playing Portal and only pulling one card. That means it's your turn to win.

All in all, it's in a very, very dull place. CDPR must be thankful Cyberpunk's so highly anticipated. Says it all that the top threads on this forum are to do with Death Stranding, "What other games are you playing" and "why the person above you should be banned".....

Last edited:
All in all, it's in a very, very dull place. CDPR must be thankful Cyberpunk's so highly anticipated. Says it all that the top threads on this forum are to do with Death Stranding, "What other games are you playing" and "why the person above you should be banned".....
I must admit, I'm not really following your logic here. People are posting about unrelated topics, therefore Gwent is dead? Also, I doubt your criticisms will be heeded when they are posed in such a rude manner. That said, of course there is room for improvement for the game- I still quite enjoy the game nonetheless, however.

Those 5 decks are exactly what needs to be fixed in order to give the other decks a fair chance to be victorious. Most ppl I encounter ingame play one of the 5 you listed and they win because those decks are OP. In fact, if Viper Witcher was broken in the Beta we can righteous say that these decks are far beyond that. Running a deck of 30+ myself proves there's a lot of variety able ingame to play something else then the META, the problem of those decks however is the fact they can't top with the 5 META decks since they are just generally broken combos or like Syndicate Wild Card total insanity. In lot of cases when these decks are involved there is hardly any skill being used to win. Like, waiting for the last round and move to seize your opponents 6 power unit or play the Syndicate frightener card. That is no skill, that is waiting! Another thing to begone is the Tactical Advantage. I've read some excuses here why it would be good, but it isn't good since it forces me to pass a round. Especially when OP decks use it or you get a hell of a hand at start with the draw. Besides that I do still enjoy the game for what it is, the rows, the 3 rounds and carddraw, nicynice comboing and the artwork and music with very well with the season of this year and will improve in winter. Heck, the only season that doesn't fit Gwent is Summer.

I must admit, I'm not really following your logic here. People are posting about unrelated topics, therefore Gwent is dead? Also, I doubt your criticisms will be heeded when they are posed in such a rude manner. That said, of course there is room for improvement for the game- I still quite enjoy the game nonetheless, however.

I think his point was that there is hardly any discussion about Gwent. People are more interested in discussing other games.

The forum has felt dead for a long time now so I expect it. In the future it's just going to be me talking to myself.
Post automatically merged:

Those 5 decks are exactly what needs to be fixed in order to give the other decks a fair chance to be victorious. Most ppl I encounter ingame play one of the 5 you listed and they win because those decks are OP. In fact, if Viper Witcher was broken in the Beta we can righteous say that these decks are far beyond that. Running a deck of 30+ myself proves there's a lot of variety able ingame to play something else then the META, the problem of those decks however is the fact they can't top with the 5 META decks since they are just generally broken combos or like Syndicate Wild Card total insanity. In lot of cases when these decks are involved there is hardly any skill being used to win. Like, waiting for the last round and move to seize your opponents 6 power unit or play the Syndicate frightener card. That is no skill, that is waiting! Another thing to begone is the Tactical Advantage. I've read some excuses here why it would be good, but it isn't good since it forces me to pass a round. Especially when OP decks use it or you get a hell of a hand at start with the draw. Besides that I do still enjoy the game for what it is, the rows, the 3 rounds and carddraw, nicynice comboing and the artwork and music with very well with the season of this year and will improve in winter. Heck, the only season that doesn't fit Gwent is Summer.

What's the problem with tactical advantage exactly?

Honestly, I don't know what's there to enjoy. There are barely 4 or 5 different decks viable to win matches, which screams that the game is without any kind of depth or intelligence.

For the most part, because of the lack of intelligence or experience needed, it's either a stream of the boring, same NG seize decks or the dull-as-dishwater Mystic Echo mega-dwarves. There's little/no real skill involved, because so many units are either obvious or OP.

Then you'll find a slightly lesser stream of more complicated decks, namely NR with it's Pincer Maneouver and Roche (seriously, has anyone played against any other leader ability since Iron Judgement?) or SY with some of the worst removal the game's ever seen.

Beyond that, there might be the odd MO Arachas deck, but that's pretty much the sum total of the game. And every game, after game, after game.

If you relent and play one of the META's then you're at the whims of whatever passes for the Gwent script....I mean....matchmaking and deck dealing. Some games you absolutely cannot win, because RNG-sus hates you. Other matches, you'll see your opponent playing Portal and only pulling one card. That means it's your turn to win.

Couldn’t agree more. It’s the only decks I ever face with the majority being NG seize and I ALWAYS get blue coin against it. The game sets you up to fail constantly. It’s boring!

Right, I am absolutely not making this up - I experimented with an Imlerith deck, bit like the old days with some ale to unlock, couple of big units, "carapace" as the leader ability, just to mix it up a bit. After winning one match quite easily (against Mystic Echo, no less!), the next match I am up against - really weirdly - a ST deck with a whole bunch of lock/poison units. I mean, Ciaran's usually an auto-include, but I'm talking about cards like Shackles, Jade Figurine, Aguara, etc.

It's weird enough anyone would build a ST lock deck in the first place, but what makes this SO weird is including the likes of Aguara. What place does it have in this ST deck? What does it do, except lock a unit, because there's no real reason to include such a hefty card when all of the ST cards I faced had deploy (mainly poison). So what, exactly, would you play Aguara for in the first place? Aren't cards like Ciaran, Treant Boar, Iorveth much, much more relevant - particularly when this opponent used the Deadeye leader ability!!!!

It just struck me as particularly odd that I'd build a new deck focused on Imlerith and the opponent would specifically have poison (designed to target one big unit) and locks galore. I still won the game, so this isn't a salty rant, but I just found it really, really suspicious that I'd face such an odd deck, so out of keeping with decks I normally face.

(by the way, I'm well aware that I'm not going to do much to a win %age with an Imlerith deck - I'm just trying, desperately, to make the game fun).

Top Bottom