Hattori doesn't make much sense

+
Hattori doesn't make much sense

Now each card is created for a purpose and i think Hattori missed that completely.
His ability states: Resurrect a lower or equal Bronze or Silver Scoia'tael unit. It doesn't say "3 or less" it says "lower or equal" which means its purpose was to support the handbuff archetype, or at least be more efficient in a handbuffing deck than others HOWEVER handbuffing does not make him any better.

The basic idea is that buffing Hattori would result in a more powerful resurrection, but Gwent doesn't work that way. This works for Swordmasters where buffing them not only increase their base power but also their effect, this does not work for Hattori because each bronze or silver has about the same powerlevel regardless of their strength.

There is no difference between resurrecting a 1 power bronze or a 9 power bronze, usually they both have THE SAME VALUE. At best buffing Hattori makes him more versatile, it gives you more options, but his value doesn't increase as it does for Blademaster. If you already have low power targets for him there is no reason to buff him.

In short Hattori fails the archetype he was designed for in a spectacular way and making use of his ability has almost no effect.

edit:
I don't remember if i mentioned this or not but Hattori should have an effect related to Items, it fits his blacksmith profession better. This wasn't possible initially because he was released before this "item" tag was implemented.
Would be better if he has a "chose one" type of effect to make use of his cooking skill aswell, this could translate in a form of buffing or handbuffing.

Last edited:
It never really made sense to me why handbuff would need a res in the first place - the only cards that would really benefit from it are Hawker Support, Farseer or Dragoons, all of which require 4/5 extra points, which make it a real investment, and being bronze cards you can just pull out other versions anyway. Personally I would rework him - aside from in dwarves, there really isn't much that benefits from being pulled multiple times - except maybe Ida.

It would only make sense, if he were able to give boosts to units profiting from handbuff, when he resurrects them.
Something like making Hattori 1 strength, but setting the power of the ressurrected unit to Hattoris power.
This way every buff to him counts double and if he ressurrects a unit profitting from handbuff even 3 times.

Iuliandrei;n10407452 said:
Hattori should have an effect related to Items
I'm not sure if I agree with this since we already have Pavko Gale in the game (5 Point play a random bronze or silver item), and it might not be a good idea to print too many silver cards which do similar things.

The easiest way to make him more appropriate would probably be to just change him to something like 3 point boost a unit in your hand by this units power. Thematically this would make him similar to how he was in witcher 3, a blacksmith who when Geralt helped him obtain his tools, making him stronger (giving him more power) and in turn Hattori made a sword for Geralt which was supposed to make him stronger (give him more power). Mechanically it would also make him a powerful handbuff card which Fransesca could consistently tutor. Though it is an admittedly boring effect it might be something that handbuff needs to become viable, because it just gives them access to a card which they can use as a tempo play without sacrificing any finishers such as Swordmasters.

PeteTheN00b;n10408412 said:
The easiest way to make him more appropriate would probably be to just change him to something like 3 point boost a unit in your hand by this units power. QUOTE]

I can't figure out what you mean here.

I think the trouble with Hattori is that there aren't enough ways to handbuff right now to use him in a handbuff deck, when the limited buff options you have are better used on swordmasters/Braenn/ambush units. You could Fran-tutor him in round 2 or 3 and rez Toruviel or Braenn something, but aside from that it's basically just swordmaster, and that only if you either waste the Fran-tutor on him, or happen to have him in hand round 1 and manage to buff him with a dragoon or something. (You could also start doing some really convoluted buff-mulligan-tutor stuff which is not even going to be worth it).
I wouldn't mind seeing him buffed a point, so that maybe with a single Hawker buff he could rez Malena or something. Also, Neophytes could lose a couple of strength points and buff two random units in hand by 2 instead.
As it is right now, rezzing Barclay/Scout/Agitator provide better value, so why use him for anything else.

I'm not sure if I agree with this since we already have Pavko Gale in the game (5 Point play a random bronze or silver item), and it might not be a good idea to print too many silver cards which do similar things.

Pavko Gale is a tutor for item, there are other ways of interacting with cards beside summoning them from your deck.
Since he resurrects now maybe he can resurrect an item, be like an Eithne for item cards OR he can create an item OR he can spawn an item, in a choose one format like Elven Blade or a Dumpling.

Barracuda88;n10411502 said:
The easiest way to make him more appropriate would probably be to just change him to something like 3 point boost a unit in your hand by this units power. QUOTE]

I can't figure out what you mean here.
Basically what he's saying is something along the lines of Deploy: Boost a unit in your hand by this unit's power. So basically he's the middleman - you boost up this card then when you play it you stick it on something more useful like a Swordmaster. Basically, you handbuff him then whatever strength he gains becomes doubled because you play it on a card in your hand too. It was exactly the same thing I was thinking for him, it suits the character as he's arming another card.

For me Hattori should get Pavko Gale's current ability. "Play a bronze or silver item from your deck". Far more consistent with his character than the current ability he has.

Yeah, if Hattori is to be a handbuff card he should read: Resurrect a Bronze Elf and set its strength to that of this unit. Might be a bit too op though.

Hattori is a blacksmith, so he should obviously have synergy with items now that they have been added to the game. Something like:

"Play a random bronze or silver item from your deck (current Pavko Gale effect); or resurrect a bronze item."

Is this OP? Maybe, but at least it's flavorful and fun.

Top Bottom