Having read the available books...

+
Having read the available books...

I must say, reading the books (the two in English anyway) has GREATLY impacted my enjoyment of The Witcher, and I already loved it. The attention to detail in the characters, world, and dialogue is impeccable, and surprisingly holds up very well even though English is not the game's native language. Anyone else feel the games to the books an amazing amount of justice?

chaosapiant said:
Anyone else feel the games to the books an amazing amount of justice?
Au contraire. Many characters like Zoltan and Dandelion could have been done much better. Others, like Alvin, are a disgrace to the saga.The game is still great, but with respect to the saga, falls way short. Was hoping TW2 shortens the gap, actually.+

seems like you have read other witcher books other then the last wish and blood of elves. Because zoltan, dandelion and alvin are rarely character arced in those books.It's a shame they've delayed the ENGLISH translation for the 3rd books for 2 years now. It's hilarious how there's an italian,german and spanish translation but no english.By the time all witcher books are out in MAJOR MOTHERS TONGUE english i'm gonna be speaking fluent polish :)I also will have a family and the year will be 2050

I'm disappointed by the delay as well. Though I managed to read the books in other languages, reading them one's own native language is much more enjoyable. It's a shame, really, when you're forced to read an entire novel in a language you're not very fluent in. Some of the imagery is lost.

Vilgefortze said:
I'm disappointed by the delay as well. Though I managed to read the books in other languages, reading them one's own native language is much more enjoyable. It's a shame, really, when you're forced to read an entire novel in a language you're not very fluent in. Some of the imagery is lost.
Yeah I agree, I just find it weird the books are translated into so many different languages except for english. I can understand french, spanish but german??? That's not even a colonized language.If last wish and the blood of elves is any indication on how good the other books are then the author is almost up there with tolkien in my humble opinion. At least when it comes to deliver worlds full of details and fruits of life.How many books have you read? (im jealous btw) :)

Again, my opinion is only based on the first two books. And I still stand by what I said that the characterization from a book to video game is phenomenal, and i've never seen it done that well before in any other translated medium.

chaosapiant said:
Again, my opinion is only based on the first two books. And I still stand by what I said that the characterization from a book to video game is phenomenal, and i've never seen it done that well before in any other translated medium.
I agree.I've read many books and played many games based on books, but no other game comes even close in the adaptation of the world/characters/atmosphere, even if as vilgefortze said Dandelion and Zoltan could have been done better.Also, if my memory doesn't fail me, there's a fan translation out for all the stories in the "Voice of reason" cycle from the "Sword of Destiny" book. And I'm working on two more right now.So if you look around, you'll be able to read more of the books, albeit not professionally translated.

Guest 2091327

I was xmas shopping earlier today, and happened to be in a book store. Figured I might as well check if they had the books. To my great surprise they had both the Last Wish and the Blood Elves (this is in Sweden btw). Bought the Last Wish. Should be nice reading material during Xmas :)I feel like a nerd now LOL, buying a book because I liked a computer game that was based on it :D

Pangaea said:
I was xmas shopping earlier today, and happened to be in a book store. Figured I might as well check if they had the books. To my great surprise they had both the Last Wish and the Blood Elves (this is in Sweden btw). Bought the Last Wish. Should be nice reading material during Xmas :)I feel like a nerd now LOL, buying a book because I liked a computer game that was based on it :D
Firs,t I dislike the word nerd, because it's stupid, and second, Idon't see how reading the books, on which the game is based is a bad thing.

Pangaea said:
Will give you a word of warring you will find it hard to put down because you will want to know what happens next

I`ve read all saga of Witcher, and i have done it in a week. And now, they are my favorite fantasy novels. Andrzej doesn`t have a lack of intellect: he has successful created not only unpredictable, interesting and bright plot but also full of sarcastic irony.if in a clasic post-Tolkien fantasy picture of the world was built on opposition of forces of Good and Evil. Heroic cycles of Michael Moorcock the Eternal warrior turned out to be a key figure in the battke beetween the powers of Order of Chaos. World of Andrzej has been made much more realistic: In the fantastic world people live an ordinary life. They don`t care too much about the questions of Supreme Justice. Going to bed (or just going to sleep if you don`t have a bed) with a full stomach is more important to them.An ordinary life is unheroical (is there such a word? English is not my native language). But, that`s important thing for Sapkowsky`s characters: first of all not to betray themselfs. Not to choose lesser evil from two terrible ones. Never pander to stupid and insolent kings. never meannness, not to turn a blind eye and pretend that`s there is no evil.Even in this case you would go to sleep hungry. Even if are risking to get your head cut off.

I`ve read all saga of Witcher, and i have done it in a week. And now, they are my favorite fantasy novels. Andrzej doesn`t have a lack of intellect: he has successful created not only unpredictable, interesting and bright plot but also full of sarcastic irony.if in a clasic post-Tolkien fantasy picture of the world was built on opposition of forces of Good and Evil. Heroic cycles of Michael Moorcock the Eternal warrior turned out to be a key figure in the battke beetween the powers of Order of Chaos. World of Andrzej has been made much more realistic: In the fantastic world people live an ordinary life. They don`t care too much about the questions of Supreme Justice. Going to bed (or just going to sleep if you don`t have a bed) with a full stomach is more important to them.An ordinary life is unheroical (is there such a word? English is not my native language). But, that`s important thing for Sapkowsky`s characters: first of all not to betray themselfs. Not to choose lesser evil from two terrible ones. Never pander to stupid and insolent kings. never meannness, not to turn a blind eye and pretend that`s there is no evil.Even in this case you would go to sleep hungry. Even if are risking to get your head cut off.

Yes, I agree.Sapkowski's world is actually unlike any other fantasy world.There is no black and white.There is no right and wrong.There is no good and evil.There are shades of gray, moral choices and consequences.Andrzej 's world feels so real and touches your soul because there aren't any invincible superheroes, there aren't any perfect characters and nothing feels farfetched.Every character feels so,,human.You can easily relate to them.There are many dilemmas and there are many different standpoints, but there is no ultimate conclusion or judgment.That is left up to the reader.The characters are people who you actually come to genuinely love, care for, be sorry for or hate.Very few writers can make you do that.When you're reading the books, it's like this is not just a medium of entertainment, it's like you dive in another completely different world, that almost feels more real than this one, like you are part of it, like you come to be a silent observer.It captivates you and never lets you go.Sapkowski can say more in a few words than some people can say in a thousand.He is truly one of the greatest writers to have ever lived and I want to thank him for letting me experience this.

Braag

Forum veteran
I agree, I finished reading The Last Wish yesterday and I'm gonna start reading Blood of Elves today and I must say that in the game when I heard names like Mousesack or Dandelion mentioning about Valley of Flowers, I had no idea what they were on about until reading the book. I've all ready finished The Witcher three times and after reading Blood of Elves I'm planning to start a fourth playthrough, just before The Witcher 2 hits :)It's a shame that more of these books haven't been translated to English, and I had to order them online as none of the local book stores in my city had them in stock -_-

I am sorry, but "the sword of Destiny" hasn`t been tranlated to English yet? And "The Blood of Elves" has been? But novels "Sword of Destiny" and "Something more(bigger)" are necessary for understanding the saga! For example, Who is this Ciri? How do you know, where did she come from if you haven read the novel "Something bigger"? Why is Geralt related to her? It is not it just because Sapkowsky wished it to be (not only because of that=)) he explains everything in The Sword if Destiny!

Guest 2091327

I picked up Blood of Elves today, and in the first sentence this Ciri person is mentioned. Do we really need to read the previous book to understand the context of Blood of Elves? I was told no, but if Ciri is important it would nice to know the background. Is there a fan translation for example that is good?

Ciri is exceptionally important. The books are as much about her as about Geralt. And she does appear in "The Sword of Destiny" for the first time. However the more important tale - that of her parents' meeting - is told in "The Last Wish", specifically in "A Question of Price"

Guest 2091327

gorthuar said:
Ciri is exceptionally important. The books are as much about her as about Geralt. And she does appear in "The Sword of Destiny" for the first time. However the more important tale - that of her parents' meeting - is told in "The Last Wish", specifically in "A Question of Price"
Hmm. Loose memory here, but that was the tale about the young princess with out of control powers, right? I don't remember "parents" meeting there. Oh wait! Now I think I remember it. Ciri must be the child of that princess and the knight (?) that was awarded her. And then, if I remember correct, their (future) child was supposed to be awarded to Geralt. So I guess Ciri is that "present".
Btw, I wish the books had a contents page. Would be nice to be able to look up these things fast. I bought the Blood of Elves today, and I see there is no contents page there either. Would be nice with an overview of where the chapters begin.

Some shorts stories of the book "Sword of Destiny" have indeed been translated to English by some fans, which posted them in this forum. You only need to check them up.Maybe all the ones that are left will be translated even before The Witcher 2 comes out... who knows... *roll eyes*

Top Bottom