HD 7990, problems with ultra settings

+
HD 7990, problems with ultra settings

Hi,

As topic says, im having troubles with ultra settings, it pushes both GPUs in my 7990 to full load making it get way too hot, game runs nice, no stuttering, no fps drop, but i have to stop the game before my Graphics card gets fried.

Why? i think a 7990 should be able to run this game at max settings, am i wrong or is there any problem i can fix?

Thx.

This game will run the GPU wide-open throttle. Enabling Vsync will slow it down some.

A 7990 may benefit from customizing the fan profile. MSI Afterburner is a good tool for that purpose. Case airflow makes a big difference, too. That GPU is a f***ing space heater, converting 375W (reference TDP) to 500W (measured) of electricity into hot air. That air has to go somewhere, fast.

Thx for the fast reply.

My case is extremly well refrigerate, with a good bottom-front --> top-rear unobstructed air flow and liquid cooled CPU that doesnt add heat to the case, also im using Afterburner with a custom fan profile, i dont care about noise so i have the fans working hard.

The prob is in the amazing load the game pushes on my GPUs, both of them perma sits at 99% load in ultra (ubersampling off), even in high settings the load is still at 90-99%, by shuting off SSAO rest on high deafaults i manage to get the load down to 80-90% on both GPUs (wich seems still to high for me)

I have latest catalyst driver. Any hint?

The game runs every GPU that way. There isn't a frame rate limiter. It will overheat a GPU that cannot run at full load indefinitely.

Underclocking the GPU for this game (MSI Afterburner can do that too) should help. Also, no matter how well set up your case is, make sure there is a source of cool air to the GPU and a direct exhaust path for hot air. Running with the side panel off will tell you quickly whether you have an airflow situation that needs correcting.

Oh i see, thx a lot for your help, guess i just got into panic mode seeing the load so high, temp rises quickly and then stays stable at 75-76ºC, to be honest i dont know whats a good temperature for full load on my card, guess i will buy a full cover water block and forget about this temp paranoid XDDDDDDDD

Again thx a lot, you have been very helpfull

recsa said:
Oh i see, thx a lot for your help, guess i just got into panic mode seeing the load so high, temp rises quickly and then stays stable at 75-76ºC, to be honest i dont know whats a good temperature for full load on my card, guess i will buy a full cover water block and forget about this temp paranoid XDDDDDDDD

Again thx a lot, you have been very helpfull

With that card, anything under 80C is good. There's a thermal limiter at 100C.

recsa said:
The prob is in the amazing load the game pushes on my GPUs, both of them perma sits at 99% load in ultra (ubersampling off), even in high settings the load is still at 90-99%, by shuting off SSAO rest on high deafaults i manage to get the load down to 80-90% on both GPUs (wich seems still to high for me)

I have latest catalyst driver. Any hint? />/>

Sort of an unusual post as most people's gripe is that the software they are running doesn't push their gpus hard enough...;)/> I'm running a single 2GB 7850 clocked to 1.05GHz core and the game runs like butter with ubersampling & every other effect enabled (like SSAO.) Performance with all possible eye candy turned on is the reason to buy an expensive gpu in the first place, imo. 76c under load is quite acceptable for you as others have pointed out.

Conversely, you could always slap in a 1GB 5770 (my previous card) and be forced to turn off a lot of eye candy just to get a somewhat fluid frame rate, and see your temps peg at a constant 100C under load...;)/> (AMD actually designed the 5770 gpu to run 24/7 under load @ 100C, and mine has done that for a number of years (4+)--it's still going strong in another box at the moment.) Just thought you might appreciate a bit of perspective.

Top Bottom