HD Textures - we surely need a mod with them!

+
I'm happy to accept proposals which objects you want to see reworked.
The grass needs some real retexture but I think their mesh needs to thinner up too. It's too fat.
Some of the tree trunks are really bad also. Most of them are located in skellige.

This is from the VGX gameplay. Just look at the wall of the building highlighted and the roof tiles. CDPR artists have created some textures with magnificent fidelity. We need them back god damnit.

Last edited:
The grass needs some real retexture but I think their mesh needs to thinner up too. It's too fat.
Some of the tree trunks are really bad also. Most of them are located in skellige.
I liked the grass in Shadow of Mordor, it felt a lot more like real grass and afaik didn't have that huge of an impact on performance.

I liked the grass in Shadow of Mordor, it felt a lot more like real grass and afaik didn't have that huge of an impact on performance.
Grass textures and every texture is only loaded once in the gpu's ram. Therefore it can't have any impact unless every texture has huge resolutions.

Seriously!?

TW3 textures are excellent, even rock/mountain textures. And the problem with rocks/mountains are actually meshes/polygons, not textures. Sure higher res texture would improve quality, but not too much. Why? Well because mountain meshes are too big in some places and even high res texture will be too stretched in these places.

Let's say your texture is 2048x2048 pixels. When you put this texture on 1x1 meter mesh/polygon in the game, it will look great. But when you put this texture on 5x5 meters mesh/polygon, it will look bad. It will be too much stretched. And like in every game meshes have different sizes in different places.

For people who don't know; mesh is a geometry of the game created from small polygons... And you put a textures on these meshes.
sorry guys, i'm gonna have to agree with him. textures, even if some of them are downright horrid, is not the sole guilty party but also geometry aka meshes (and i know what meshes are cause i use CAD softwares a LOT). in fact, some textures may look flat, but if they had tesselation, they would look a whole LOT better, like many buildings inside the game.

sorry guys, i'm gonna have to agree with him. textures, even if some of them are downright horrid, is not the sole guilty party but also geometry aka meshes (and i know what meshes are cause i use CAD softwares a LOT). in fact, some textures may look flat, but if they had tesselation, they would look a whole LOT better, like many buildings inside the game.

This isn't matter of agreement between you and me. It's a fact, and you know this.

People don't understand that one texture is used for entire mountains area in some game for example. Just one texture.
And if geometry (meshes) is poor this texture will look bad even with 4096k res.

I'm an author of many mods for many games, and i work with meshes and textures. And very often people will say how my texture doesn't look good in some places, and that it's my fault. But actually it's has nothing to with my texture.

Last edited:
sorry guys, i'm gonna have to agree with him. textures even if some of them are downright horrid, is not the sole guilty party but also geometry aka meshes
Look at the textures of the pic i provided earlier and tell me if textures are the same now and if the walls would provide better results if they had tessellation or more meshes.

I'm an author of many mods for many games, and i work with meshes and textures
Then start working with the meshes of Witcher too and let the forum chatting for some other day. We need to add the lost beauty back. :)

Last edited:
This isn't matter of agreement between you and me. It's a fact, and you know this.

People don't understand that one texture is used for entire mountains area in some game for example. Just one texture.
And if geometry (meshes) is poor this texture will look bad even with 4096k texture.

I'm an author of many mods for many games, and i work with meshes and textures. And very often people will say how my texture doesn't look good in some places, and that it's my fault. But actually it's has nothing to with my texture.

I don't think you get it though. with the existing modkit, we can't edit the worldspace whatsoever, save through editing textures and meshes, we can't add tessellation, we have limited (read: broken) mesh importing (and we don't even get all the meshes for export) and the end result is that the only guaranteed way of improving the fidelity of the game is through texture edits. While I agree wholeheartedly that meshes are really important (and lighting even moreso, imo) and that without high-quality meshes you'll get a modded skyrim feel (something I don't know how to describe, but it's the quality of a game with low-poly models and massive textures), But in the end we as modders only really have access to editing the textures. virtually everything else is off limits. Hell, I can't even edit tree meshes. as in, I can't fucking find them. When I uncook (or unbundle with quickbms) they're not even there! I can edit the textures though, so if I were to mod the flora in the game that's my only option.

I don't think you get it though. with the existing modkit, we can't edit the worldspace whatsoever, save through editing textures and meshes, we can't add tessellation, we have limited (read: broken) mesh importing (and we don't even get all the meshes for export) and the end result is that the only guaranteed way of improving the fidelity of the game is through texture edits. While I agree wholeheartedly that meshes are really important (and lighting even moreso, imo) and that without high-quality meshes you'll get a modded skyrim feel (something I don't know how to describe, but it's the quality of a game with low-poly models and massive textures), But in the end we as modders only really have access to editing the textures. virtually everything else is off limits. Hell, I can't even edit tree meshes. as in, I can't fucking find them. When I uncook (or unbundle with quickbms) they're not even there! I can edit the textures though, so if I were to mod the flora in the game that's my only option.

I don't talk about TW3, but about games in general.

But the reason why i didn't make anything for TW3 is tolls. You explained it very well.
One thing though that i don't understand is why TW3 files are structured like this? So you must cook/uncook with specific tolls?
Stalker or TES for example are easy to mod even without tools.

I don't talk about TW3, but about games in general.

But the reason why i didn't make anything for TW3 is tolls. You explained it very well.
One thing though that i don't understand is why TW3 files are structured like this? So you must cook/uncook with specific tolls?
Stalker or TES for example are easy to mod even without tools.
maybe CDPR have a weird fetish, and it's to see their fans suffer and struggle. this happened before the launch of the game, now they're doing it by complicating the lives of modders XD

just kidding, i honestly have no idea why they did so. and i pray they'll give us something better than the MODkit soon.

I can't even edit tree meshes. as in, I can't fucking find them. When I uncook (or unbundle with quickbms) they're not even there
Wow I din't knew that we don't have the tree meshes available. And those really need some love. Low polys give too many corners.

Wow I din't knew that we don't have the tree meshes available. And those really need some love. Low polys give too many corners.

I can find meshes for roots and for hanging moss, I can't find anything for trees. All the grass meshes are in there, though. I'd edit the grass xmls to extend their visible range, but the problem is that I also started having issues with wcc_lite just recently. It's bitching about not finding a specific value in an ini file under rendering or something? I don't even know where to go to fix this, but it happened after I changed user.settings.

Guest 2364765

I can find meshes for roots and for hanging moss, I can't find anything for trees. All the grass meshes are in there, though. I'd edit the grass xmls to extend their visible range, but the problem is that I also started having issues with wcc_lite just recently. It's bitching about not finding a specific value in an ini file under rendering or something? I don't even know where to go to fix this, but it happened after I changed user.settings.
There's a fair chance that tree's are handled by speedtree.

There's a fair chance that tree's are handled by speedtree.

great. is it possible to edit LoD ranges then? cause that's all I wanted to do.

EDIT: did some basic googling. speedtree can open .srt files, which is what I get when I uncook.

Last edited:

Guest 2364765

Please read the thread. What you want is better meshes not textures.
Uh what the guy above posted is terrain with layered textures and the base layer - rock, looks sub-par.
Besides, geometry on the screenshot looks fine to me.

Top Bottom