HDR Feedback

+
Howdy!

My Monitor: Samsung CHG70 Review (C27HG70, C32HG70) - RTINGS.com

I play Tom Clancy's The Division 2 in HDR. This game has two things I wish CyberPunk 2077 had: First is that you can enable HDR in the game without having to enable it in Windows 10 which is great because Windows 10 HDR in an SDR world is not great. So I find myself turning it off after I'm done playing.

Second issue is HDR doesn't seem to ever have an overall advantage in this game over SDR because black levels never really gets dark enough.

I found a good video while looking for guides to setup HDR in the game located here: Cyberpunk 2077 HDR vs SDR Comparison after Patch 1.05: Which is Better? - YouTube Note this video is with PS5 and good TVs but it was the same issue that better explains what I'm trying to say.

I could not find where to bug report this. The suggestion forum doesn't have a + New Topic icon for me to use.

Thank you.

Moreover, if you try to calibrate HDR in the settings, all you can do is pretty much change the overall brightness of all colours, meaning if you lower it to a level where black really is black, the picture is way to dark to see.

Adenan

Forum veteran
Weird. i have the same monitor and i like HDR so far.Try playing around with the settings,im really satisfied with my settings.
Edit: My settings

max brightness 683
paper white 300
tone mapping 1.70

Howdy!

My Monitor: Samsung CHG70 Review (C27HG70, C32HG70) - RTINGS.com

I play Tom Clancy's The Division 2 in HDR. This game has two things I wish CyberPunk 2077 had: First is that you can enable HDR in the game without having to enable it in Windows 10 which is great because Windows 10 HDR in an SDR world is not great. So I find myself turning it off after I'm done playing.

Second issue is HDR doesn't seem to ever have an overall advantage in this game over SDR because black levels never really gets dark enough.

I found a good video while looking for guides to setup HDR in the game located here: Cyberpunk 2077 HDR vs SDR Comparison after Patch 1.05: Which is Better? - YouTube Note this video is with PS5 and good TVs but it was the same issue that better explains what I'm trying to say.

I could not find where to bug report this. The suggestion forum doesn't have a + New Topic icon for me to use.

Thank you.
Sorry, may I ask will the performance and FPS be bad if I open HDR mode with GTX1060?

I never noticed any performance difference in any game i played with HDR on or off.
And how does HDR look like now? Cause I have seen some post saying that HDR is not quite well in this game. Does the update fixed it yet?
Post automatically merged:

I never noticed any performance difference in any game i played with HDR on or off.
I wish to buy AORUS CV27F for HDR mode, is it worth it(I can't use 2k or 4k since my graphic card is GTX 1060)?

I would say its worth it.but it also depends on the display you use and how good it is.
For how its looks i quote myself ;)

Weird. i have the same monitor and i like HDR so far.Try playing around with the settings,im really satisfied with my settings.
Edit: My settings

max brightness 683
paper white 300
tone mapping 1.70

I would say its worth it.but it also depends on the display you use and how good it is.
For how its looks i quote myself ;)
This monitor is gsync compatible right? Should I choose the real g sync without HDR or gsync compatible with HDR using GTX1060 in you opinion?

I think the problem is the games lacks true HDR calibration patterns. I had to find different areas in the game to tweak settings because the images in the menu aren't worth a shit.

I have been using Evilboris recommendation, on pc connected to a LGC9 Oled, and it looks very good in some cases, especially at night with the neon signs, but also still has a few problems with some highlight detail.
The calibration image will look like shit, just ignore it and see how it looks ingame.
I now almost have the HDR image I get with other games using these settings, but I do still feel that the implementation is bugged or messed up, and I hope CDPR will take a look at it and hopefully improve it.

"After playing around some more I *think* I have a better understanding of what is going on.
Max brightness doesn’t appear to interact with the typical brightness roll-off that we expect a Game to provide - much like we have seen in a few other titles - God of War and Destiny 2 being some of the most well known titles to do the same thing.

Max Brightness appears to control the gain, or the contrast setting - I suspect 10,000nits is in fact the default as the game’s output is scaled from it’s base set up to the game’s SDR tuned output.
The problem with then reducing this is that it then brings down the mid tone brightness by the time you move the white point down to a useable 1000nits or so.
The Mid tone adjustment had 2 effects on the image - reducing it will make the darker parts of the image - increasing the perception of contrast- increasing it creates more of a bloom like effect , which smooths out some highlight detail.

Now my objective is to have an image that is
A: Bright enough for general play
B: Not so obviously raised at the dark end of image
C: Pulls out some additional highlight detail to exist in very high-not parts of the image.

So one way around this is to choose an EOTF curve that retains highlights
On the LG sets this is DTM OFF - a 4000nit roll off.
On Samsung Sets you can change gamma / ST2084 to -3.

You can then set the games maximum output to 3500-4000
And drop back the mid point value to somewhere between 1-1.8 (depending on if you want a more contrast or more bloom)
This will brighten the image, provide a brightness roll off, an image that is not so dim and a slightly more contrasty image.
Give this a go and let me know what you think!"

If you have an HDR-compatible device, otherwise you will just see Youtubes tone mapping into SDR, you can check out the settings I mentioned above.

In this video, my HDR settings are:
Maximum brightness: 3490
Tone-mapping midpoint: 1
Paper White: 250

Top Bottom