HDR implementation is broken

+
I am running with HDR enabled and I was quite frequently unable to see anything because it was either way too dark or way too bright.

Some of it was an element of role-play, though... Like trying to find your way around or having the enemies shine a flashlight in your face which I especially liked, actually. However, future counter-measures would be appreciated like having cyberware or sunglasses to mitigate the effects (and look cool).

They are fixing the HDR reproduction in the 1.05 patch though, yeah?

Vincent from HDTV Test has uploaded a new video where he compares HDR with SDR after patch 1.05.
Unfortunately, HDR is still broken:

I really can't understand how something like that can happen and that nobody noticed when testing the game before it was released. Since the PS4 Pro was released in 2016, almost all AAA titles have been published with HDR support. I am only aware of one prominent case where it had similar problems and that was RDR2.

HDR was or is very bad in Doom Eternal (completely over-saturated ingame, the map was washed out so much that you could not see anything in it on the other hand) for example. I also had major problems with Hellblade (everything washed out, looked horribly greyish) at the beginning - but there was some problems going on with Windows 10 HAD to put in their own HDR implementation breaking old drivers etc. > then nvidia had to implement their own stuff and/or repair compatibility with windows 10 hdr ... as an "early adopter" it felt horrible and like a joke honestly.

I guess developers hardly have any knowledge about the whole color-space stuff and so HDR often turns out like some simple "oh we add those options and voila" but in reality they just get wrong colors etc. and often having different results in menus (2d) and ingame (3d).

Yeah, it would be nice to have a fix for that soon, because usually we gamers want to experience the game in it's full glory but often HDR looks like it was just a dirty addon instead of real support for it.

In console games, HDR has been the absolute standard for 4 years now and the problems you described usually don't exist.
The only two games that had such problems are Red Dead Redemption 2 (fixed with patch 1.09) and Cyberpunk 2077.
Even The Witcher 3 received an HDR patch on consoles in 2018 and looks fantastic.

Last edited:
Vincent from HDTV Test has uploaded a new video where he compares HDR with SDR after patch 1.05.
Unfortunately, HDR is still broken:

I really can't understand how something like that can happen and that nobody noticed when testing the game before it was released. Since the PS4 Pro was released in 2016, almost all AAA titles have been published with HDR support. I am only aware of one prominent case where it had similar problems and that was RDR2.

I've been fighting with HDR in this since the start, I saw his original video, and not this one, thanks for sharing.. More head shaking on my end here, though..

I can't understand how this issue was overlooked... With the amount of work on the lightning effects in Night City this is a major issue, the art direction and the game world deserve better than a half working HDR.

HDR highlights would really benefit the game but it's just unusable in its current state.

I have no idea about all this technobabble. All I know is that if I go into a room where it isn't blaring daylight or look at a shadowy corner at any time of day, I don't want everything to be pitch black and impossible to see in.

I hate needing to bump up the brightness/gamma by 20 points just to see shit then need to bump it back down to see in the light afterwords. That's not how eyes work.

It is really disappointing. Nightcity should have been an HDR showcase with all the neon lights etc., but unfortunately it is unplayable when HDR is switched on. On the PS5 there is also the problem that the console always outputs HDR, regardless of whether it is activated or deactivated in the game. You have to disable HDR in the PS5's system settings, but then of course it is disabled for all games. It's frustrating. :(

It is really disappointing. Nightcity should have been an HDR showcase with all the neon lights etc., but unfortunately it is unplayable when HDR is switched on. On the PS5 there is also the problem that the console always outputs HDR, regardless of whether it is activated or deactivated in the game. You have to disable HDR in the PS5's system settings, but then of course it is disabled for all games. It's frustrating. :(

The game is a tech demo, run by corps, managed by the worst and deserves what's coming to it.

HDR is just another drop in the bucket list of trash this game will forever be known for.

The game is a tech demo, run by corps, managed by the worst and deserves what's coming to it.

HDR is just another drop in the bucket list of trash this game will forever be known for.

I don't see it as negatively as you do. All problems the game has can be fixed, except maybe the low resolution and the bad frame rate on the last generation consoles.

The Witcher 3 wasn't perfect when it was released and had a lot of bugs and was still a milestone and even after 5 years it is still the best action RPG ever made.

Ok, The Witcher 3 was in better shape than Cyberpunk when it was released, but I haven't given up hope that CDPR will fix most of the problems.

I'm just afraid it will take months ...

I don't see it as negatively as you do. All problems the game has can be fixed, except maybe the low resolution and the bad frame rate on the last generation consoles.

The Witcher 3 wasn't perfect when it was released and had a lot of bugs and was still a milestone and even after 5 years it is still the best action RPG ever made.

Ok, The Witcher 3 was in better shape than Cyberpunk when it was released, but I haven't given up hope that CDPR will fix most of the problems.

I'm just afraid it will take months ...

With all that stock loss? You really think the new managers who didn't care at all how this launched will suddenly change character?

I'm at a loss but I'm listening..

It makes perfect sense though. Most of the devs have been working from home for quite some time, and I doubt they have HDR monitors to test and build on and it was thus overlooked.
This will hopefully be fixed in a patch coming soon™. They've shown they can make proper HDR in Witcher 3 so I'm not that worried. Hopefully we won't have to wait until the PS5 & XBox Series X update in Q3-Q4 2021

Really starting to grow a vast hatred for Companies abusing "buzz words" these last few years and the gap between what they promise & what they deliver :(

Our product / game has = Full HDR + 4K + Native 4K + locked 30 fps + next generation + next generation open world gaming + player choice + player freedom + vast replayablitity + unique systems & mechanics + robust crafting + player urgency + etc...

A very large use of most of these was stated by CDPR for this game and i am losing count for other developers and companies that continually do the same. The go to response of it's just good business + smart marketing + viable merchandising = all these manipulations and double speak should not exempt you from the truth that is...

[...]

Developers & Companies DO NOT CARE about us or our opinions, there might have been a day a very long time ago in the video game industries infancy where some cases could be argued, but no longer. They only want your $$$ and will say and do whatever it takes to achieve this, defending + protecting companies that knowingly interact with their consumers and loyal fans in devious and underhanded ways should never be rewarded or praised for anything / any reason (even if there is an action of good / decent behaviour = it does not negate or replace the bad), less this cycle worstens over time... Which it will :(

Unfortunately the HDR problem was not fixed with Patch 1.1 or Hotfix 1.11. If CDPR doesn't fix the problem with patch 1.2 in February, I wonder if they are even aware of that.

For me, the broken HDR and the crashes of the console version are the main reasons why I don't want to continue playing Cyberpunk.

I just registered an account to give a +1 for this. I'm incredibly frustrated at how clearly broken the HDR implementation is and that ZERO mention of it has been made by the developers. I understand they have a large list of improvements and fixes they are trying to make, but it would be really nice to just know if this is on their radar at all.

Top Bottom