HDR mode black level is way off!

+
Something I've just tried, Nvidia has a new feature in its drivers, something about enhanced colour accuracy mode.

By default it is set to Enhanced. I've just tried ticking the box that says Reference Mode and applying that, it seems to make the blacks look much better.

I've only had a chance to look around V's apartment but her computer monitor looks blacker, as do other areas.
Post automatically merged:

I should probably mention, it's in the Adjust desktop colour settings page of the Nvidia control panel

Last edited:
I've just gone to the window in V's apartment. Below the window sill, there is a black line.

If I line up my bezel so that it touches the black line, to me, on PC with my nits set to above 1000 (my monitor can handle it), that line is a very close black to the bezel, which in turn is almost indistinguishable from when my monitor displays actual 0 black.

I'll have to explore a bit more later.

Guest 4454648

I think this review of the HDR aspect of the game is appropriate for this topic. Safe to assume, his finding also apply to the PC version.

At first I loved this guys. But then he goes on and on saying the same thing over and over. Nevertheless. The Devs should really see this. Because this dude knows what he is talking about.

This guy's vid just confirmed my initial theory. the devs were working in the wrong gamma range to begin with when they wrote the game. look at the end of this guy's video when he's in the apartment in SDR mode. Even in SDR mode, nothing in the scene that's supposed to be black touches or anywhere near "0" on the spectrum. this tells me that the developer's monitors where incorrectly calibrated to begin with. my guess is that their monitor was calibrated in gamma 3 or 4, which sees all 20~30% IRE scale to be same as 0% IRE. so they lit their entire game using 20 or 30% IRE as BLACK as oppose to 0% IRE as black. so when the game reaches the consumer, all our monitors are set in the gamma range of 2.2 or somewhere close to 2. Our 20/30% IRE is actually dark grey. so everything looks washed out. This is worst than i thought. Based on this, in reality, their SMPTE curve more resembles a horizontal curve

The only other reason to explain this is that they intentionally wrote the game with this muddy washed out look using a standard gamma 2 monitor. At this point of their widely criticized PR, i honestly wouldn't be surprised if they come out and say that that's intentional. But honestly, who in their right mind would do that, what kind of Art Director would design a look like this in a game is beyond me.

All in all, the problem goes way beyond HDR. 1st the HDR mode is not properly tone mapped, and no proper black reference image is included. Then, we find out that even in SDR mode, the game is using the wrong black level as black.

i've already submitted a ticket to refund my game. this is just not worth my time and money.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-15 131051.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-12-15 131051.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
This guy's vid just confirmed my initial theory. the devs were working in the wrong gamma range to begin with when they wrote the game. look at the end of this guy's video when he's in the apartment in SDR mode. Even in SDR mode, nothing in the scene that's supposed to be black touches or anywhere near "0" on the spectrum. this tells me that the developer's monitors where incorrectly calibrated to begin with. my guess is that their monitor was calibrated in gamma 3 or 4, which sees all 20~30% IRE scale to be same as 0% IRE. so they lit their entire game using 20 or 30% IRE as BLACK as oppose to 0% IRE as black. so when the game reaches the consumer, all our monitors are set in the gamma range of 2.2 or somewhere close to 2. Our 20/30% IRE is actually dark grey. so everything looks washed out. This is worst than i thought. Based on this, in reality, their SMPTE curve more resembles a horizontal curve

The only other reason to explain this is that they intentionally wrote the game with this muddy washed out look using a standard gamma 2 monitor. At this point of their widely criticized PR, i honestly wouldn't be surprised if they come out and say that that's intentional. But honestly, who in their right mind would do that, what kind of Art Director would design a look like this in a game is beyond me.

All in all, the problem goes way beyond HDR. 1st the HDR mode is not properly tone mapped, and no proper black reference image is included. Then, we find out that even in SDR mode, the game is using the wrong black level as black.

i've already submitted a ticket to refund my game. this is just not worth my time and money.

Well the line I mentioned under the window is probably around the lower 5% of that chart, while the highlights I'm getting are definitely at the top.

Did you try toggling the enhanced colour accuracy in the Nvidia control panel?

My thinking is most Nvidia users would have downloaded the latest driver to play this game and probably not given this new feature a 2nd thought. Maybe there is a bug in it where it messes up the colour profile upon installation, and toggling accurate colours puts things right again.

I've only had the chance to do a few missions around the map, no big missions that load to a different map, but everything looks great to me. It certainly doesn't look washed out, colours are vibrant, but I have to play more to be sure it's completely gone.

It's not related to Nvidia, the guy on the video I posted tested the HDR level on Xbox series X and PS5.

Last edited:
It's not related to Nvidia, the guy on the video I posted tested the HDR level on Xbox series X and PS5.

I think there may be more than 1 issue, we all came here with HDR issues and what he says in the video makes sense for some of what I've seen.

But in my case, looking at certain areas in the game like that strip under the window sill in V's apartment, it can't be the whole story because it is is much blacker than would be possible if it were limited to 709 bandwidth.

I'd encourage others to have a look for themselves, see if they see the same thing.

But in my case, looking at certain areas in the game like that strip under the window sill in V's apartment, it can't be the whole story because it is is much blacker than would be possible if it were limited to 709 bandwidth.

Looking at a single strip of color in a bright area doesn't mean anything. Bandwidth is for connection speed, not colors.

Looking at a single strip of color in a bright area doesn't mean anything. Bandwidth is for connection speed, not colors.

Ok dynamic range, sorry was before my first coffee.

I think it does mean something if the game is displaying colours near the bottom of the dynamic range at the same time as the top.

Looking at a strip or anything in a scene is just guess and shooting in the dark. You won't know until you measure it with a color meter. my i1Display pro clearly says it all. The game's black dynamic range needs rework. The Nvidia setting is just to override any ICC profile that you may have enabled or adding additional correction on top of the ICC Profile. It doesn't fix anything. But theoretically you could compensate the offsetted black level by lowering the gamma setting in the Nvidia color tweaker and change the setting from Reference to Enhanced. but that again doesn't fix the problem of the game and you're once again just guessing how much to lower to compensate. the user can change a whole bunch of stuff and eventually you stare at it long enough your eyes will eventually just get used to it and any washed out black will look fine to you. But switch to another game with proper black level in the proper dynamic range the effect is immediate.

there's not that much the user can do. Any tweaking in game or out of the game (Nvidia color tweaker) is just guess work to try to try to make it look better. The game is botched. We can either play it the way it is or they have to fix it. The entire dynamic range needs to be remapped. And there's no way the end user can correctly accomplish that without the development knowledge of their color space. i am waiting for my refund. chances are, when they eventually fix the game in 9 months, we might be able to pick this back up in the bargain bin.

Last edited:

Guest 4406876

I'm sorry can you translate all this from alien to english please? not because you're bad at english, but because I'm dumb as a rock when it comes to this technical stuff about monitor gamma and image. I'd like to know in "orchish language" what I'm supposed to do to have a decent image on my monitor, if there's an easy way to explain it of course.
Like "you bash dis, stuff better"

Looking at a strip or anything in a scene is just guess and shooting in the dark. You won't know until you measure it with a color meter. my i1Display pro clearly says it all. The game's black dynamic range needs rework. The Nvidia setting is just to override any ICC profile that you may have enabled or adding additional correction on top of the ICC Profile. It doesn't fix anything. But theoretically you could compensate the offsetted black level by lowering the gamma setting in the Nvidia color tweaker but that again doesn't fix the problem of the game and you're once again just guessing how much to lower to compensate. The game is botched. We can either play it the way it is or they have to fix it. The entire dynamic range needs to be remapped. And there's no way the end user can correctly accomplish that without the development knowledge of their color space.

It was just a point in the game where everyone could find easily and see what they thought on their own systems. To me it showed that whatever I was viewing was outside of the normal range, but there are still places that seem faded like Lizzy's bar.

The 1.05 patch is coming to PC soon. It has already arrived on consoles and from what I've seen from some players, they are very happy with how they have fixed HDR. I guess it won't be ready for PC until Monday now?

It was just a point in the game where everyone could find easily and see what they thought on their own systems. To me it showed that whatever I was viewing was outside of the normal range, but there are still places that seem faded like Lizzy's bar.

The 1.05 patch is coming to PC soon. It has already arrived on consoles and from what I've seen from some players, they are very happy with how they have fixed HDR. I guess it won't be ready for PC until Monday now?

I'ld be happy to give the new patch a shot when it comes out. but i am not hopeful. the description says makes the HDR looks warmer. that just tells me these guys have no idea how dynamic range works. but hey.. i'll reserve my final judgement. you never know. if they actually fix this it'll be amazing and i might just keep the game.

I'm sorry can you translate all this from alien to english please? not because you're bad at english, but because I'm dumb as a rock when it comes to this technical stuff about monitor gamma and image. I'd like to know in "orchish language" what I'm supposed to do to have a decent image on my monitor, if there's an easy way to explain it of course.
Like "you bash dis, stuff better"

lol.... sorry it came off like elf language.
basically there's nothing much you and any of us can do right now. the dynamic range is way off in this game and also compressed. but if you really want to change some settings, i personally find that changing in-game midpoint setting from 2 to 1 looks better. And after you do that, bump up the peak brightness as high as it looks pleasing to you "in the game" (not the half ass picture they give you in the setting menu), usually a NPC who is speaking to you directly under a spot light. ie that girl guarding the basketball court entrance in the beginning of the game. you'll know that the peak luminance is bumped up too high when you start losing detail on her face.

but until the devs fix the game, these are just what you can do to make it look slightly better than the default.

@howzz1854 yeah "Warmth" is subjective at the best of times, but I've watched a few HDR utube videos and users are happy with it, blacks seem blacker, things don't seem as faded, so things look promising, but we'll really only know when the patch lands and we get to try the scenes we are familiar with.

Just started downloading a 9GB update now

Last edited:
i just tried the new 1.05 patch. the dynamic range in HDR is still not fixed.
my guess is that they only bump up the red and green channel to make everything a bit "warmer".

i am just going to wait for my refund.

Nvidia have just released a hotfix driver for something I have been suspecting wasn't quite right, "With HDR enabled, black levels are incorrect".

I couldn't say for sure what it was as I hadn't narrowed it down for sure (between colour profiles, using multiple screens one of which isn't HDR, Driver problems and a couple of other options), but I had noticed when watching video with black bars, that the bars weren't as dark as I'm used to, some of the blacks in the video can be darker. the edges of my FALD monitor looked like they were lit up, as if they had IPS glow. Strangely if I hovered my mouse over the area, where I would usually expect to see a slight ring of light where the fald lights up behind it, the area actually darkened. The game had a similar effect at the edges.

So I'm about to try these drivers and see what it's like in game. So far I've been happy with the update. Contrast during both night and day look improved. Just been to Lizzie's bar, I noticed one of the reasons it might look different to the rest of the game is it may have a lot of volumetric smoke for atmosphere which may make it look lighter so maybe it's not the best place to compare.

I can say I didn't have the issue I had previously where all the colours blended together and it was hard to make anything out. That was when I had to either disable and re-enable HDR or restart the game to see anything like details on the walls.

yeah i tried the 460.97 tonight together with the new 1.05 patch, no difference in game. although it did make the loading screen background more black like it should. but once you're in the scene, it's the same broken dynamic range. looks like Nvidia fixed something, but not the thing that CDPR really needs to fix.

if you like the way it looks now, should just be happy with it and play the game. you're the only person that you need to satisfy. if it looks great to you that's all it matters.

me on the other hand still waiting on refund.

thought i'd let everyone know that i got my CP2077 refund back through GOG galaxy. it took about a week but today the refund went back to my paypal account.

this is to hope that CDPR learn their lesson this time. i look forward to picking up the game again 9-12 months down the line in the bargain bin. (and i don't mean that in a sarcastic way).

Top Bottom