heads up display in CP 2077

+
heads up display in CP 2077

Edit- I've replaced the nonsense of my OP with the HUD wish list which emerged during this thread:

HUD wishlist:

- modular, customizable HUD.
- individual toggle options for each components; example: you can still view the Marquee, but turn off some aspect of it you don't want to view.
- hardware and software components, download or install components of HUD onto your favorite hardware.
- HUD components can be bought or sold
- illegal software availability, e.g. HUD which helps you find caches to loot.
- software available is specific to role or skill, e.g. "find the mark" for Solos.
- it's possible to completely remove HUD, both hardware and software, i.e. ability to toggle what you can or can't see, or play with zero HUD.
-various colours and display types.

On a completely separate note, I think it would be fun if some aug lets the player's vitality be shown in color on their body, like a mood ring of sorts. Just for aesthetics, really ^^

Attachments

• deadspace1.jpg
    deadspace1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 181
Well, I really like the idea of immersive HUD, so yes, please yes.

That's not really HUD, and its not really immersive.. in fact it's kind of the opposite of immersive, as it would constantly remind you that you are playing a game...

I don't mind the idea of stats on an HUD, or even if your limb is damaged it flashing when you activate a health scan... but I would rather just be able to bring up a bio-monitor screen on my times square marquee that would flash the injured bits and provide wound or illness information.

My hair flashing like a twinkie's ecstasy dream is something I can definitely live without.

Yeah, I agree with you on the hair bit, something I took back in my second post, haha.

Regardless, let's not forget that not everyone is going to choose to be augmented and be able to see bio-monitor/ammo screens. In that case, I imagine we will have bars or whatever hanging on the screen to remind us of HP or ammo. So it would be nice to have an option to disable HUD in this case if the player wants a more organic gameplay experience.

My whole stress is not to have any HUD on the screen, and I don't mind bringing up a menu to view information.

I know some people like that information on the screen, so there should be an option to toggle it.

Well at least not similar like in Dead Space which tells enemies when you're low on health and it is time to finish the job :p

Once again entering to fpp and tpp area, but when thinking of hud I see me looking through my eyes and hud giving me information about world and myself.
It would feel weird to me having same kind of visuals from tpp, like I'd be someone else following the guy I'm controlling. I know it's totally justified from gameplay perspective to have it on tpp also and to get it work.

That said I'd like the tpp have only very minimalistic information that you need for playing the game (health, ammo etc.).
Fpp hud on the other hand would depend implants and head gear you're wearing. I'm thinking more visualized presentation, something like this http://realdirtymets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Heads-Up-Snapshot-5.png
It could give you all kinds of information your implants and gear make possible (power and noise level, targeting data, mail, etc.). Heck while not include news feeds into it that give you information about local event and weather forecast while we're at it :D

Once again correct me if I enter too much scifi area :)

Yeah, I agree with you on the hair bit, something I took back in my second post, haha.

Regardless, let's not forget that not everyone is going to choose to be augmented and be able to see bio-monitor/ammo screens. In that case, I imagine we will have bars or whatever hanging on the screen to remind us of HP or ammo. So it would be nice to have an option to disable HUD in this case if the player wants a more organic gameplay experience.

My whole stress is not to have any HUD on the screen, and I don't mind bringing up a menu to view information.

I know some people like that information on the screen, so there should be an option to toggle it.

Well, I honestly think that if you don't have Cyber, and don't have at least Smartshades (sunglasses with cyberoptic options), then you shouldn't have an HUD at all... the way you know you have suffered damage is that your arm hangs limply to your side, or you walk with a limp, o you are hunched over trying to hold your intestines in your body...

In the pen and paper game, every time a wound is received a hit location is rolled. You take wounds in specific parts of the body. And those wounds have effects... the worse the wound, the more detrimental the effect. That is how you immerse someone in the game.

Well, I honestly think that if you don't have Cyber, and don't have at least Smartshades (sunglasses with cyberoptic options), then you shouldn't have an HUD at all... the way you know you have suffered damage is that your arm hangs limply to your side, or you walk with a limp, o you are hunched over trying to hold your intestines in your body...

In the pen and paper game, every time a wound is received a hit location is rolled. You take wounds in specific parts of the body. And those wounds have effects... the worse the wound, the more detrimental the effect. That is how you immerse someone in the game.

Sounds good to me.

Well at least not similar like in Dead Space which tells enemies when you're low on health and it is time to finish the job :p

I completely agree. But to be honest, if there are non-combat oriented options for gameplay, then someone could add this purely for aesthetic reasons.

@ Wisdom: while I personally wouldn't mind zero-HUD for a non-augmented person, I don't think other players would be that flexible. This is a video game, after all, and we're all used to seeing HP, ammo etc. HUD on our screens. If the inclusion of it is necessary, I'd just like an option to disable or hide it.

Thanks for mentioning bodily damage and Smartshades- those would be seriously cool to add as elements to the game.

Don't think of it as a "health bar" though, it's more like a vitality mood indicator ;) I agree- it's not good for tactics or immersive HUD, but it could be a viable aesthetic component. Style is seldom about being functional :p

It is. They are called Biomonitors and you can get them in a variety of styles.

Also TV programs on a flexible screen on your clothes or limbs or torso. Good times.

I would really appreciate if CP 2077 has immersive HUD. A really great example of such HUD is from Deadspace

View attachment 758

On a related note- It's likely that some roles will have HUD popping in their vision because of cybernetics or augmentations, but there should be some option to hide or disable HUD as well.

Yeah the dead space one is a diegetic one. All geometric elements are included in the gameworld and they are justified too, like olograms. I'm not trying to have a fight with wisdom, but that's pretty immersive.

I could write more but i'll leave you something to read.
http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/111921.pdf

i'm also sure dev's know about all of this

I really like this idea. No suitable hardware, (be they cybergoggles, shades or implants,) no HUD. You have to remember how much ammo your carrying for what weapon and you have to work out how banged up you are from your avatar's visual appearance and physical condition. Biomonitors and such could be upgrades for these.

I think HUD options should be tied to the hardware. If we could have a few different options, as though each of the main manufacturers produced their own style of HUD in their optics, that could give some awesome options for immersive customisation:

Lets say my first upgrade is a cheap pair of shades and a touchscreen pad in my arm connected to a cheap biomonitor. That could allow me limited information about my physical condition, (like an ECG readout in the corner of the screen and a targeting reticule when not aiming down sights.)
So, I upgraded to a new set of Cybereyes with Timesquare+... No idea why people tried to warn me about where I got them from. He seemed a really nice... WTF??? My HUD is in RUSSIAN? That bastard gave me second hand implants! What's this flashing in front of my eyes. I can't read russian... I need to find a data terminal and get an English driver patch for them. Ah, here's the terminal. Quick search... What? They are obsolete implants, never released for sale outside of the Russian Domesstic Market? No English drivers... Fragging great. So now I either have to get a Russian language chip or get a new set of eyes... That's the last time I get cheap cyberware.
(Multiple in-game languages were described in one of the interview videos on youtube. I thought this would be a great tie in.)

What do you guys think?

Yeah the dead space one is a diegetic one. All geometric elements are included in the gameworld and they are justified too, like olograms. I'm not trying to have a fight with wisdom, but that's pretty immersive.

I could write more but i'll leave you something to read.
http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/111921.pdf

i'm also sure dev's know about all of this

Why would anyone put a measure of their health on their back, where they couldn't see it, but their enemies could?

I really like this idea. No suitable hardware, (be they cybergoggles, shades or implants,) no HUD. You have to remember how much ammo your carrying for what weapon and you have to work out how banged up you are from your avatar's visual appearance and physical condition. Biomonitors and such could be upgrades for these.

I think HUD options should be tied to the hardware. If we could have a few different options, as though each of the main manufacturers produced their own style of HUD in their optics, that could give some awesome options for immersive customisation:

Lets say my first upgrade is a cheap pair of shades and a touchscreen pad in my arm connected to a cheap biomonitor. That could allow me limited information about my physical condition, (like an ECG readout in the corner of the screen and a targeting reticule when not aiming down sights.)

(Multiple in-game languages were described in one of the interview videos on youtube. I thought this would be a great tie in.)

What do you guys think?

Thats what I would want exactly....

@ Wisdom: In the context of Deadspace, I can't explain why they chose to put the health meter on the back. I like the idea of color changing on your body parts because I like color :p But even I realized after some time that having such a component is not good from a tactical or practical POV.

That's why I think if someone would want something like this, they would get it for aesthetic reasons. It would be like a mood ring, except integrated into your body :D

Edit: That's separate from the immersive HUD issue. I like the ideas of biomonitors, smartshades, and flexi screens on other parts of your body. Those would make very cool immersive HUD elements.

Please guys, feel free to mention more cool stuff from CP2020 which could be used for immersive HUD purposes.

Why would anyone put a measure of their health on their back, where they couldn't see it, but their enemies could?

I think that's explained as redundant information so whenever Isaac feels physically hurt you can see an estimation of how bad things are for him. Ofc that would be cheap is a PvP fight. Don't know about the stasis because i don't know anything about Dead Space lore.

Top Bottom