Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine - two massive expansions for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
Absolutely.
But the question - rhetorical - then becomes whether that is in his best interest as a consumer or not.
Why should anyone pre-order this pass when 1) very little by way of specifics is known about the content, 2) The price point is actually less appealing than that of the standard title, and, last but not least, 3) it seems there's no benefit associated with pre-ordering?

I think this is the question REDs would be well-advised to answer.

I'd bet the answer is that their business department figures that prerelease is the best time for these announcements; interest is going to peak the closer we get to launch and its going to crumble the further we get away from it. People move on to other games, many console gamers are going to resell it. There is no harm at all in letting people know ahead of time that something more is on the way and giving them the option of buying in if they want to.

Season Passes are the norm and there's nothing inherently wrong with having them. There is a fucking problem however when content is cut from the game to be put in a DLC pack soon after launch, but that's not the case with these expansions coming....half a year/a year after launch.

My only concern isn't with the pricing or the season but rather in how these stories will fit in the overall main story of TW3, whether or not they would add anything to it as the extended cut of TW2 did.

Supposedly,the two expansions combined are as big as each of the previous games.That's massive!

I'll probably buy them,but only after i have experienced the main game.

The Witcher is about monster hunting and about people. The different types of people from different regions and how they differ through their struggles, life conditions and choices made.
So their are lots of kinds of stories they can tell. It will most likely not fit into the main story. Glorified side missions.

The Witcher: Wild Hunt should have been called The Witcher: The endless Hype. When we finally get the game will have to hype for the Toussaint add on XD

Hi CD Projekt Red

First of all, you are by far the best ever video game development company out there.

Second, I only created this account to say this one thing: It would amazing if you could tell us whether the expansions would be enjoyed the most/make more sense by being played during a playthrough or after we have finished the main game. This will not only help me decide when to buy the expansions but also when to play the game.

Thank you

Toussaint!

I was always suspicious about what was really going on there.

What did Henrietta know and when did she know it?!

I'm not certain where all the virtiol is coming from.

I mean, I fully understand the concept of not wanting to pay for content cut form a game. No issues, there. But nobody with any shred of research skills should be able to make the claim that either of these expansions are content 'cut' from anything other than the storyboarding/pre-planning phase of TW3, if even that.

An expansion pack by definition, is a piece of content that Expands upon a game in a significant and meaningful way. I usually have to pay $39.99 for that sort of thing from other companies. I'll take a 2 for 1 expansion pack deal for $20-25 every day of the week from a company I trust to make full-featured content releases.

What people seem to be saying though, is that Blizzard should have felt bad for releasing Starcraft and shouldn't have let me play that fantastic game until Starcraft: Brood War was ready. (Same with Diablo II: Lords of Destruction). This would have made me a sad gamer, and could have bankrupted the company in the meantime causing content to /actually/ be cut to rush a release that may or may not have saved the company. So not only is that bad business, it's also really bad for the consumer.

I wonder sometimes if people ever really think through the courses of actions that they advocate for other people to follow, especially when those courses of action affect so many other peoples lives. (Expansion packs being one of the absolute best ways to keep a group of developers employed during the post-release / pre-nextproject phase of game development.)

Some people might say it is Toussaint to mention the Toussaint expansion, but I was glad to hear about it.

Hi CD Projekt Red

First of all, you are by far the best ever video game development company out there.

Second, I only created this account to say this one thing: It would amazing if you could tell us whether the expansions would be enjoyed the most/make more sense by being played during a playthrough or after we have finished the main game. This will not only help me decide when to buy the expansions but also when to play the game.

Thank you

The expansions will be an after thought. So you can play and enjoy the game without the need for the expansions. When the expansions comes out you can play the expansion missions or replay the game with the expansions and choose when to do those missions in the game. The expansions should not affect the main story. Just add to the game.

I am not CD Projekt Red and I doubt they will answer your question because they will want you to buy their game next month and buy the expansions when they come out.
As a Witcher fan who will replay this game over and over again. The expansions will just be yet another reason to replay the game.

(I don't feel much like sifting through this lengthening thread, so, please forgive me, if this has been suggested before by others.)

It would seem that these expansions were prompted -- at least in some part -- by community feedback, wishlists, questions, and so one: 'Will we see this character?' 'What about this location?' 'Will we encounter this monster?' The Team appears to be listening, which is what has endeared them to their players hitherto. Many people wanted to see Shani or Kalkstein again: presumably, we may meet them in the Oxenfurt 'Hearts of Stone'. More complicated references to lore and characters, which fans wanted to see realised, will likely be in 'Wine and Blood'. It seems the developers have taken to heart the comments and support they've received from their players, and are attempting to give them some of what they want. However, because they are, after all, a game-developing business, if they are going to put the effort into fulfilling large wishes, it's only logical that they make some profit from their time and labour.

As to the timing of this announcement, as others have commented, it may have been a matter of exposure, with people excited, and paying closer attention to their web-site, during this pre-release time. Nonetheless, the pre-order is rather a curious choice, but I suppose it's a sign of faith, both on the company's part, and the players'.

Merely my musing speculations.

The expansions will be an after thought. So you can play and enjoy the game without the need for the expansions.

In TW2 additional quests were joined together with the story. Like The Secrets of Loc Muinne and the like. On the other hand, in TW1 they were more or less standalone independent adventures, which weren't part of the main plot, like Price of Neutrality. Therefore the question above is legit. So CDPR can clarify what kind of expansion packs these would be.

Last edited:
Do you want me to tell the person that the expansions will play a part to the main quests, so that he doesn't buy the game next month and waits 6 months till October to buy the game.
I want people to buy the game next month. Don't chase sales away. And buy the retail PC version.

Last edited:
Do you want me to tell the person that the expansions will play a part to the main quests, so that he doesn't buy the game next month and waits 6 months till October to buy the game.
I want people to buy the game next month. Don't chase sales away.

They can decide what they want. But clearly it's a valid question whether it will be joined with the main story or not. Past Witcher enhanced editions with additional adventures were also released quite after initial releases.

Top Bottom