Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine - two massive expansions for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
Okay, so this happened. Exciting fun! :happy:

Now, I've spent my morn sifting through each and every page in this thread...and I'm none the wiser.

I know nothing of season passes or what they warrant, their quality and peoples opinions of them. I usually avoid DLC as well, as they're not worth my time.

I do know of old school expansion packs though, and have bought several in my time, if I thought they were worth my time and money.

The whole issue of CDPR being worth my money...I won't even go there. They are an incredible dev studio that I admire. They dare, in this day and age, to flip off other dev studios and go against the stream. I've ruffled a few feathers here by calling them one of the best devs out there. Not that I care, I stand behind my praise.

I am however surprised by this turn of events, especially since my first introduction to CDPR spelled Enhanced Edition. Learning that the devs had added additional content to the original game, without forcing previous buyers to pay for that additional content...hell it was unheard of. Seeing the exact same thing happening with Witcher 2...yeah, I showered CDPR with all the praise they deserved.

When Witcher 3 DLC's were announced, I took heart in knowing that of course they were free, it's CDPR! And sure enough they will be free of charge. So immediately I assumed that there probably would be a free enhanced edition with additional goodies in the future.

Which brings me to this turn of events then. I have no trouble handing over more money to CDPR, even after a preordered Collector's edition. I really don't, and expansions sound great!

But the term expansion...pass. Not season pass. But an expansion...pass doesn't sit right with me.

I know what an expansion pack of old is. Someone even posted an image of a Star wars Empire at war expansion pack. Problem is, doing that comparison springs forth a couple of questions. Back in those days, you could buy these expansion packs retail. As in walking into the store of your choice and buying them off the shelf. No preorder of any kind or the mention of "securing your access" to these additional adventures.

So what I wonder is this, can I buy this expansion pass like the expansions of old upon release? Or are these sold as digital only and only for specific time?

Secondly, if there ever will be an enhanced edition of Witcher 3, am I wrong to wonder what will be included in this enhanced edition?

Many thanks to anyone providing the info that answers the many questions I have.

Last edited:
But the term expansion...pass. Not season pass. But an expansion...pass doesn't sit right with me.

I agree. I think it's just new terminology for the same thing, but it doesn't sit right with me either. If you're inspired by expansion packs of old, why not use the same words? What wrong with 'expansion pack'? Is there a difference between pass and pack these days? So I guess I'm leading on to your questions about limited time only and so on.

But so far, I suspect it's like a normal xpack with the additional bonus of knowing about it ahead of time and being able to buy it ahead of time.

Isnt it better to include season pass in collector's edition? Just as a small gift for all of your true fans, who are counting down the hours until 19th of May?

You say people who don't have enough money to buy Collector's Edition or can't find it to buy in their countries are not true fans or are not counting time until 19th May? I totally disagree. I don't have money to buy a new computer now, but I am still buying the game because I love it and love CDPR. That's why I understand what CDPR is doing things this way. And comparing with expansions of other companies, I think both expansions have a really great price...and they are going to be out in October and 2016! OMG we all can save that money in one year...1€/1$ per day...even per week!

Back to the topic, I wasn't expecting this at all!!! Is so great!!! Congratulations guys!!! YOU ARE THE BEST <3

I'm super stoked for this I would buy it regardless of it's length. Keep up the great work REDs we love you!!! Also I feel the need to apologize for all the negativity that's being thrown around on various sites regarding this announcement. I know you're all working hard to give us the best damn Witcher game possible and I hope the negativity isn't taken too seriously.You kick ass cheers:cheers2: CDPR

Last edited:
French on jeuxvideo.com are so irritating right now people XD Don't know for elsewhere but I get the feeling all anti CDPR are on it and call them hypocrites... It's sad.

I know what an expansion pack of old is. Someone even posted an image of a Star wars Empire at war expansion pack. Problem is, doing that comparison springs forth a couple of questions. Back in those days, you could buy these expansion packs retail. As in walking into the store of your choice and buying them off the shelf. No preorder of any kind or the mention of "securing your access" to these additional adventures.

So what I wonder is this, can I buy this expansion pass like the expansions of old upon release? Or are these sold as digital only and only for specific time?

Secondly, if there ever will be an enhanced edition of Witcher 3, am I wrong to wonder what will be included in this enhanced edition?

Many thanks to anyone providing the info that answers the many questions I have.

A "pass" just means you are buying future access to something. One of these things will be out 5 months after the game launches and the other will be out probably close to a year from now -- its not like the old expansion pack where you bought it all at one time. There doesnt seem to be any indication that you'll be able to get this at retail stores.

Who knows if TW3 will get an enhanced edition. Enhanced editions have never really been about adding huge amounts of content though, they've always been more focused on addressing player feedback and improving the experience with a ton of tweaks, fixes, and overhauls to the underlying gameplay systems. TW2's EE did get a healthy dose of new content but a lot of it was in response to some of the negative feedback about the third act being way too short and the lack of a tutorial.

I think everyone here knows that there is a lot of (reputation) at stake here. If CDRP screws up this (massive) expansion than it's no longer the all mighty quality game producer. SO DONT FUCK UP and we glady spend more money on The Witcher.

If people say these expansionpacks should be released for free they are from a different world. From as far as I have seen CPRD delivers quality work, and that deserve a worthy repayment.

I wonder whether these will be just questlines with some new items thrown in, or they will be integrated in the base game, adding new features like a proper expansion back in the days. I'm thinking of something similar to the Enhanced Edition that both previous games had, just with more content.

I don't understand why all the fuss about timing this announcement ? So CDPR wanted to be truthful and didn't hide their plans about upcoming expansions like other companies do ? So you are bashing them for that ?
In the end what matters is the quality of content they will provide.
So I'm happy with this and looking forward for Dol Blathanna, Cintra, Brokilon, Rivia expansion packs :)

I wonder if these will be available as a hard copy disc? I have crappy Internet and it would be great if these were available for my PS4 in disc format. I doubt it though. Probably only as a GOTY version?

It was a nice surprise to find out about the 2 expansions. I wasn't sure it would happen because Cyberpunk 2077 still needs to be finished. Anyway, you have my support as with the main game it was a first day pre-order. Thanks :)

I can't read 36 pages now, my god, but this "expansion pass", good idea, crating new words in gaming industry, at gog, will it be able to be pre-ordered AFTER the game is out, right? and why does it not have a discount if you own the other games?

Top Bottom