Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine - two massive expansions for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
The expansions were never as long as the original games. Reign of Chaos is much more longer than Frozen Throne, original Starcraft is also way more longer than Brood War, same for C&C series. DLC is something that you play for couple of hours, they were never suppost to be lengthy. Lair of the Shadow Broker is perfect example how DLC is done good.

The last good expansions i've played were DA: Awakening and Heart of the Swarm and i can tell you even on my first playthrough they were much shorter than the original games which is to be expected. However saying 10-20 hrs content = little DLC? Care to tell me which DLC did that? The expansions barely lasted that much let alone DLCs.

This is how they start out though. This does not seem so bad, so they do it. But then the next little step up to using DLC does not seem so bad, so they do it. And they keep going up and up and up, because each little step does not seem so bad, until they are all the way up ♥♥♥♥ creek.

Believe me, this is 100% how all other companies started out... They saw the money gains, and before we knew it they were selling skins for $5 each.

Hi all quick questions.

I've Purchased the Witcher 3 at EB Games here in Australia and i see there is no Steam attachment to this game, which sucks but understandable my question is with retail purchases how do we buy the Expansion passes for our game as its not Steam or GOG etc?

Will it be a second retail disc?

Also from reading the Witcher 3 GOG page it saying nothing about the free 16 DLC's it gets a few odd things like Neverwinter etc does the gog version not recieve the free DLC like steam and retail do?

Thanks any news would be helpful.

Hi all quick questions.

I've Purchased the Witcher 3 at EB Games here in Australia and i see there is no Steam attachment to this game, which sucks but understandable my question is with retail purchases how do we buy the Expansion passes for our game as its not Steam or GOG etc?

Also from reading the Witcher 3 GOG page it saying nothing about the free 16 DLC's it gets a few odd things like Neverwinter etc does the gog version not recieve the free DLC like steam and retail do?

All versions of the game get the 16 free DLC. As for getting the expansion for a PC retail version, you'll need to purchase the expansion from gog for that.

That is what I am mainly angry about! The fact the game is not even released and they are already trying to shove DLC down our throats.! It stinks of money hungry.

I respectfully disagree, announcing this now is smart for a number of reasons

1.) It let's people know that more content (besides the 16 FREE dlcs) is coming. Knowing that ahead of time might encourage people to hold onto the game instead of returning it.

2.) Just knowing a rough release date for it helps me and probably others plan around other releases (MGSV: TPP for example)

3.) Since this is the conclusion to Geralt's journey it's reassuring (and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling) knowing that even though his story will end the legend of The White Wolf will live on.

not to mention you don't HAVE to buy it.

Hi all quick questions.

The retail versions of the Expansions will have a GOG code woops, reptile was right, i can't read english. Physical copies purchased (your EB Games version) will only be compatible with GOG.

All versions -- GOG, Steam, Origin, XBox whatever -- will have access to the free DLCs when they become available. More information about exactly how you're going to download them will be released when the DLCs become more relevant.

Last edited:
The retail versions of the Expansions will have a GOG code. Physical copies purchased (your EB Games version) will only be compatible with GOG.

All versions -- GOG, Steam, Origin, XBox whatever -- will have access to the free DLCs when they become available. More information about exactly how you're going to download them will be released when the DLCs become more relevant.
Thank you for the detailed reply.

Another thing that has me bewildered is the Steam version costs us Aussies more than the GOG version, but the expansion pass is cheaper on Steam for us than the GOG version, are these prices just random or have some maths behind them?

I'm really torn about this.

On the one hand, if this is the same quality that I'm used to in the Witcher series, then I'm glad that it will come.
on the other hand, screw paid DLC, no matter from whom. I just don't like it, no I really hate paid for DLC:

...but, if it really clocks in at 30 hours of content, then it's really not what we usually call DLC, it's a full stop expansion and while 25.- Euros are not exactly a cheap price, it's certainly a much better deal than what you usually get nowadays.
If I consider what I paid for the Mass Effect 3 DLC and that I hated, yes hated the ending to that game, this seems like a much better deal.

...then again I can't help but mistrust game developers today. It always starts with something and two years later they are complete sell-outs belonging to EA.
CDPR hasn't failed me so far, so they get the benefit of the doubt, but I'll be watching further announcements and developments with a wary eye.

Last but not least, I think given how burned a lot of us gamers feel today, the announcement of paid DLC (or Expansion) BEFORE we have the actual products in our hands might have not been the wisest course of action.
I'll be checking my game time count when i play Witcher 3 to see if it is significantly shorter than what was promised all the time, to make sure the expansion isn't taken out of what was originally supposed to be in the game.

IDK whether to lament my own failure of character for this or the way even once cherished game developers have destroyed my willingness to trust them.
(This is not directed at CD Project Red, they haven't done anything to warrant mistrust... so far)

Welcome to the forums.

screw paid DLC, no matter from whom. I just don't like it, no I really hate paid for DLC:

Why?
How is the proposition that all additional content irrespective of size must be offered for free reasonable in any way? Just try to apply that model to any other industry and watch as it collapses shortly after.

It always starts with something and two years later they are complete sell-outs belonging to EA.

This is what's known as a Slippery Slope Fallacy .

the announcement of paid DLC (or Expansion) BEFORE we have the actual products in our hands might have not been the wisest course of action.

True, possibly, but that is not a substantive concern. You express doubts about the timing of the announcement, which while relevant, amount to a lesser formal preoccupation. Timing does not alter the nature of what is being offered. As far as I'm concerned the value proposition is the core of this matter and why I find remarks like this

Good thing you have the power to not buy this optional content then. (...)

completely unhelpful (mind you, I have used a similar line of reasoning in the past, when I felt it was appropriate in conjunction with other lengthy points). That's the issue worth delving into. Doesn't mean I find REDs dishonest. Doesn't even mean I'm suspicious of their intentions further down the line. I don't and I'm not. What a serene consideration of the few known facts leads to, however, is the mildly disappointing conclusion that this pass offers less value for money than TW3 does. Sure, the conclusion is provisional. If, for example, REDs later promise revamped or expanded gameplay mechanics which will benefit TW3 as well, that certainly would tip the scales in favour of this pass, which, in all probability, I will be getting after the two packs premier. From what I can tell, there just is no reason to pre-order, besides charitable support to the REDs, and that in and of itself compounds the somewhat underwhelming resonance of the otherwise pretty good offer.

Last edited:
completely unhelpful (mind you, I have used a similar line of reason in the past, when I felt it was appropriate in conjunction with other lengthy points). That's the issue I find worth delving into. Doesn't mean I find REDs dishonest. Doesn't even mean I'm suspicious of their intentions further down the line. No. I don't and I'm not. What a serene consideration of the few known facts leads to, however, is the mildly disappointing conclusion that this pass offers less value for money than TW3 does. Sure, the conclusion is provisional. If, for example, REDs come out to promise revamped or expanded gameplay mechanics which will benefit TW3 as well, that certainly would tip the scales in favour of this pass, which, in all probability, I will be getting after the two packs premier. From what I can tell, there is no reason to pre-order, besides charitable support to the REDs, and that in and of itself compounds the mildly disappointing nature of this nonetheless good offer.

I think its just economy of scale. With the main game there is probably some expectation that they are going to sell millions of copies, so its much easier to assume a much larger risk. Generally, single player DLC sells to a tiny fraction of the user base, especially when its paced so far after the main game. In order to justify the expenses that a 30hour DLC comes with, they need to leverage a little more from each individual purchase.

"10-hour adventure into the wilds of No Man’s Land and the nooks and alleys of Oxenfurt" (c) GOG

If Oxenfurt shall not be present in "vanilla" Witcher 3 (without any DLCs), I'll burn someone aliiiiiiveeeeee...
Mwahahahaha!!

"10-hour adventure into the wilds of No Man’s Land and the nooks and alleys of Oxenfurt" (c) GOG

If Oxenfurt shall not be present in "vanilla" Witcher 3 (without any DLCs), I'll burn someone aliiiiiiveeeeee...
Mwahahahaha!!

That probably means the first expansion won't add new areas, while the second one adds Toussaint :) It is known for a long time that Oxenfurt is in.

Also, I don't know if it was a mistake or anything, but I bought the expansion pass for $20 (Living in Canada). Lucky I guess? :D

Can we please stop with all of the complaining? It's getting ridiculous and is over such a trivial matter. Remember we are getting 16 DLCs for FREE by no means does CDPR have to give us those free of charge. They've put in years of hard work and delayed the game not once but twice to assure us that we get the best game possible. I see absolutely no reason for complaining, none whatsoever. They haven't lied to anybody about anything it's been stated by CDPR "DLC is the smaller bits and pieces, and we will never charge for those things. However, if we do a big adventure say 15 to 20 hours long, a very high value story extension to the game then we will probably charge for that."

Last edited:
Can we please stop with all the complaining ? it's getting ridiculous ( like trolling) because every where you go ( remind you evolve 5 dollar for each skin or ea policy les croc hakkon 14.90 ) and like iwinski say it :"don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call,” .We re speaking of extension : some major content happening after the game and much people buy mass effect dlc 8 9 dollar for 1h30 of gameplay or buy a game 60 euro you finish in 10 hour even 1 hour YouTuber Oginam_tv managed to finish Bloodborne in under 50 minutes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom