Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine - two massive expansions for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
I am tired of repeating myself, we are going in circles here, I have said all I have to say on the matter, take it as you will...

It is the sole thing of timing

Wolfenstein: The New Order gets an expansion pack announced after the game priced $20 for about 10 hours of content. Many fans get excited and have no doubt that it wasn't cut content

The Witcher 3 announces two expansion packs priced $25 for 30* hours or so of content BEFORE release and people get concerned it's cut content and get upset.

Pretty much.

If you compare what is happening here with stuff like Wolfenstein's upcoming DLC, or BioWare's recent one, there really is no controversy surrounding those DLC's besides people who might feel the content isn't value for money.
CDPR really should have been more sensitive to the current gaming climate, and not made the mistake of announcing this stuff so early.

I continue to expect sense from CDPR's PR/Marketing team, which I should know by now they don't have much. That said, when you peel away the issue of timing, the "Expansions" themselves sound fantastic and it should be very neat additions to the game, hopefully they don't mess them up (That chance is why I won't throw money blindly at the pass).

I am tired of repeating myself, we are going in circles here, I have said all I have to say on the matter, take it as you will...
Fair enough. So I went to read your previous posts on this thread so that you won't have to repeat yourself.

Still not understanding the point.

the white knight has fallen, the dream has ended, and so another fairy tale ends
Alright. Not getting much out of this.

it's not the deed itself that rustles our jimmies, it's all of the marketing done beforehand which had us believing that CDPR would give us the full game upon purchase

for example: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/the-witcher-3-dev-on-making-a-stand-against-paid-dlc

and as long as all of you sheep keep supporting this, they will have the means to keep giving us games for which you will have to pay additionally to have a full experience
you can call it whatever you want, I still have to pay extra money in order to experience that content, the mask does not remove the object's properties
day 1 expansions/DLC, and the fact that they do not come out at that date does not dictate the provided title
What I'm getting from this is that CDPR are locking away content. But don't you say yourself later that...

we do not know if the content is cut from the game or not, nor will CDPR confirm it if it were to be true either, so it is pointless to discuss that, at least for now, until we get some solid info on that, either way all of this is subjective for the most part, and all of you are free to do with your money whatever you want obviously, I am just trying to get some people to think about the subject since it is my strong belief that these practices are bad for the consumer, it is a fact actually, but the way you go about it and the ways you can comfort/justify your actions to support those practices are subjective
Wait, do we know that content is locked, or do we not know?

Which is it?

You're suggesting that products which are going to be released in half a year from now are already done, and that the content is locked away from us. You have done nothing to establish this and have done nothing to refute the very reasonable beliefs that if something is not yet releasing, it's probably because it's not yet ready. And that if new content will be worked on for half a year, it's understandable for it to be charged for.

Alternatively, if the products are not yet made (a scenario you don't seem interested in accepting, even for discussion purposes), you don't explain why it's bad to charge for them once they are made.

doesn't imply anything, it's just a ticket for future content. everything else depends on the developers.

Then it's a weird term which is confusing and not helpful. Just call it an expansion pack. And be upset if it's indeed artificially delayed. If it's being developed, there is no point to be upset.

Fair enough. So I went to read your previous posts on this thread so that you won't have to repeat yourself.

Me neither, honestly. The only thing I got from it, is that "pass" is a totally weird term for any of this. Since everybody agrees that artificial delays and artificially cut content are bad, no one is really arguing with anyone.

$20 - $25 for 30 hour expansion pack in retail is about right. $25 for digital, ya, no. $10 - $15 for digital expansion pack is about right.

Well $25 for the expansion pack and a Cyberpunk 2077 trailer. Might be worth it then. Am I really at the point where I'm imagining paying just to get some Cyberpunk 2077 news. Oh God please let me stop thinking.

On that note. Why releasing this expansion pack info now before the game is out. Is this a diversion from the main game. Like will the main game be shit. There is a downgrade thread everytime there is gameplay released. Is this exapnsion info to get us off that 15 minute gameplay. Where is the downgrade thread this time, oh, new expansion packs, what downgrade. I need to stop thinking. lol.

because it is an anti consumer policy, and you as a consumer should care about that, because you are the one letting it happen

umm what? You seriously think they should make all that content for free and give it to us for free? I take it you are very new to PC gaming and was not around in the golden age when expansions were big and made with high production values and nothing like the DLC we get today, and we the gamers back then loved having expansion packs. There is absolutely nothing anti consumer about this, if anything this is an entitlement issue from you.

You see? This is what we mentioned in the first 2-3 pages, it wasn't a right move to announce it right now. I 'm truly happy with it and i already bought it but it was too early.

It's an expansion pack with many hours of gameplay, even double the hours of a full game nowadays but it was a given that some gamers would react like this. They act like the worst bunch of entitled teenagers out there. Judging from a few people in this very thread, it was a good guess. They are now acting like the white knights against company policies without even being able to back it up, just basing it on this announcement.

Last edited:
umm what? You seriously think they should make all that content for free and give it to us for free? I take it you are very new to PC gaming and was not around in the golden age when expansions were big and made with high production values and nothing like the DLC we get today, and we the gamers back then loved having expansion packs. There is absolutely nothing anti consumer about this, if anything this is an entitlement issue from you.

Ah yes, the olden days... (sniffs..) Old enough to remember, not old enough to forget. Something to tell the grandchildren at least.

day 1 expansions/DLC, and the fact that they do not come out at that date does not dictate the provided title

Are you saying they are not allowed to make any kind of long term plans? That the only plans they are allowed to make is short term with only a single focus, that they should never even thought about expansions till the game gets released, leaving their artists and writers sitting on their hands doing nothing till the game gets released?

They can make all the plans they want. Short term. Long term. But in telling us the plans and the timing of telling us. The game is not even out yet. Most of the gamers have not even bought the game yet. And now their plan is for us to buy expansion passes when the main game has not even been released. Ya. we don't need this shit now. End of May or even close to when Batman is released, perfect time for this kind of announcement. And when the main game is out then they can look for more money from us.

Typical gaming industry move to get as much money out of gamers before the damn game is even out.

Last edited:

Alright. Not getting much out of this.

What I'm getting from this is that CDPR are locking away content. But don't you say yourself later that...

Wait, do we know that content is locked, or do we not know?

Which is it?

You're suggesting that products which are going to be released in half a year from now are already done, and that the content is locked away from us. You have done nothing to establish this and have done nothing to refute the very reasonable beliefs that if something is not yet releasing, it's probably because it's not yet ready. And that if new content will be worked on for half a year, it's understandable for it to be charged for.

Alternatively, if the products are not yet made (a scenario you don't seem interested in accepting, even for discussion purposes), you don't explain why it's bad to charge for them once they are made.

To me, it comes down to that he doesn't believe in long term planning, and they should only have a single focus. His logic is pointing towards that anything planned for the game prior to the games release should be included in the base game, cause doing any kind of long term planning means they are cutting content..

$20 - $25 for 30 hour expansion pack in retail is about right. $25 for digital, ya, no. $10 - $15 for digital expansion pack is about right.

Well $25 for the expansion pack and a Cyberpunk 2077 trailer. Might be worth it then. Am I really at the point where I'm imagining paying just to get some Cyberpunk 2077 news. Oh God please let me stop thinking.

On that note. Why releasing this expansion pack info now before the game is out. Is this a diversion from the main game. Like will the main game be shit. There is a downgrade thread everytime there is gameplay released. Is this exapnsion info to get us off that 15 minute gameplay. Where is the downgrade thread this time, oh, new expansion packs, what downgrade. I need to stop thinking. lol.

For 30 hours of content thats not right? There are full $60 games that aren't even half that long. Hell, $10-20 is where you find 5 hour indy games.

They can make all the plans they want. Short term. Long term. But in telling us the plans and the timing of telling us. The game is not even out yet. Most of the gamers have not even bought the game yet. And now their plan is for us to buy expansion passes now when the main game has not even been released. Ya. we don't need this shit now. End of May or even close to when Batman is released, perfect time for this kind of announcement. And when the main game is out then they can look for more money from us.

Typical gaming industry move to get as much money out of gamers before the damn game is even out.

I don't see the issue, every gamer has free will, they do not have to pre-purchase. having the option is not bad, nobody is forcing anything.

It saddens me how many people cant trust CDPR.

They are the most honest Developer still out there i can think of.

If they say the Game was done last Fall contend wise and has been in optimization,bug fixing since. wich would mean the DLC s are NOT cut from the Game at all. Then i believe them.. until proven otherwise. I have no reason to distrust CDPR. And i wont punish them for the dishonesty of Developers like Bioware,Ubisoft etc... different Story...

Yes the timing is odd... but still the lack of trust saddens me a bit..

Top Bottom