Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine - two massive expansions for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
Where did you get that screenshot of my library? :p
Oh you know. I have my ways.

Why CDPR... You just had to wait july or something before announcing that and you would have done a perfect run... Anyway I bought it :D Toussaint !!!!!

I am not the one confusing the meaning i think. Everything is called DLC cause it has lost it's meaning. Of course it's DLC if i can download it but these days it sounds like a bad word cause people think that when you talk about it, you mean that you're selling a part of the game that was cut out. We arent talking about something that will be release on day one here. It's an announcement of addons months away.

Yeah, DLC term originated as that cut out content, thus its bad reputation attached to it. But many started using this weird term for valid expansion packs too (i.e. not artificially cut ones). And now it can mean anything really. So not only it's weird and dumb, it's not even defining anything besides simply an expansion pack.

Expansion packs were these packs of extra content that were sold at retail. Last few years there was been a major focus on internet such as, Steam DRM, DLC, DAY 1 DLC, Season Pass, ect.

The Expansion pack era has become extra content that is now only made available through internet downloading. Downloadable Content, DLC. CDPR used expansion pass which makes me worry that the expansion packs won't be made available in retail. I fear it will remain DLC. Please give us a pack of extra content that is sold in retail.

Wonderful!
Looking forward to buy both of the expansions on PS4 :)

Attachments

• 34dc348757fb77da3c6412990dd96af9f29ac8ae25678a1e7c4d3ca8b8c8aebf.jpg
    34dc348757fb77da3c6412990dd96af9f29ac8ae25678a1e7c4d3ca8b8c8aebf.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 37
Expansion packs were these packs of extra content that were sold at retail. Last few years there was been a major focus on internet such as, Steam DRM, DLC, DAY 1 DLC, Season Pass, ect.

The Expansion pack era has become extra content that is now only made available through internet downloading. Downloadable Content, DLC. CDPR used expansion pass which makes me worry that the expansion packs won't be made available in retail. I fear it will remain DLC. Please give us a pack of extra content that is sold in retail.

Sorry but i have to understand. What is the difference of getting the same exact 30 hours of gameplay as a download or as a physical copy? It's literaly the same thing. Is it the physical goods that might be in the physical copy that make the difference ?

@Persei8: The bottom line. Most of that terminology was coined by some dumb execs. Who would call something a "downloadable content"? No need to reiterate it.

Last edited:
Allow me to disagree. DLC is a trend of the last few years, an expansion pack that provides a new area and 20 hours or more is not considered a DLC just because you can download it as well. Would it make a difference if you could get a physical copy ?

It is true that the term DLC doesn't really mean anything these days. Most are separating the small "DLC" from the "real" DLC (expansions) but the fact still remains that one can talk about DLC and mean either. Unless something is solely based on physical copies it will always be DLC and can be referred to as such. It is confusing enough as not everyone uses english as their main language. I know I don't. Context is the key.

Yeah, DLC term originated as that cut out content, thus its bad reputation attached to it. But many started using this weird term for valid expansion packs too (i.e. not artificially cut ones). And now it can mean anything really. So not only it's weird and dumb, it's not even defining anything besides simply an expansion pack.

DLC made big news back in the day because of Horse Armor. It might have even started then.
DLC got it's bad name from Capcom who used to ship "DLC" on the disc. How can it be DLC if it's on the disc. And from then people have kept an eye on DLC to see if content is removed from the game and shipped on the disc as DLC.

I haven't seen this answered what do you do if you are buying the boxed version? I have CE paid off. For PC.

It is true that the term DLC doesn't really mean anything these days. Most are separating the small "DLC" from the "real" DLC (expansions) but the fact still remains that one can talk about DLC and mean either. Unless something is solely based on physical copies it will always be DLC and can be referred to as such. It is confusing enough as not everyone uses english as their main language. I know I don't. Context is the key.

That's why I recommend to never use that term. It's pointless. Expansion pack is generic and descriptive enough.

it's a culmination of things, primarily the fact that they've said that they do not support the paid DLC policy, and then they went ahead and did it anyway, then the pricing of 25€ (at least for me) which makes the game cost a grand total of ~70€ since I have the previous witchers on steam, so the price is even bigger for the people who do not have it, which is a fucking lot by my standards, then the fact it will come out that late, with a assumption it will be connected to the main plot, I'll have to wait months before I experience the whole thing, if they were gonna do it, they should not announce it now, since now I will know there is some stuff missing, so there, that is the almost whole take on this, sorry for the late response, the forums were not loading for me

Dear CD Red - please announce more DLC and expansions, please say all the truth, be honest and screw the PR...
This way this forum is going to explode and it will shorten the pain of waiting for May 19th... ;)

No they have said they would only do paid if it was a big enough content. DLC and Expansion packs are 2 different things.

it's a culmination of things, primarily the fact that they've said that they do not support the paid DLC policy, and then they went ahead and did it anyway

We could sell extra content to gamers down the road, but we don't believe in that. Only something really big, and something that will not make you feel ripped off, justifies a price tag. If we ever decide to charge you for something, we think you will appreciate what you get in return.

- Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, July 2013

I could also dig up multiple quotes from Iwinski on the same matter.

Sorry but i have to understand. What is the difference of getting the same exact 30 hours of gameplay as a download or as a physical copy? It's literaly the same thing. Is it the physical goods that might be in the physical copy that make the difference ?

You are stuck on this big vs small thing. 30 hours lots of content is called expansion packs and horse armor is called DLC. Rockstar released big DLC content for $20 each. Extra everything. It was called DLC because that is what it was. When those big DLC's were released in retail, they were not called DLC, they were called expansion packs.

If you going to sell horse armor in retail, it will be called expansion item, I guess. lol.

it's a culmination of things, primarily the fact that they've said that they do not support the paid DLC policy, and then they went ahead and did it anyway, then the pricing of 25€ (at least for me) which makes the game cost a grand total of ~70€ since I have the previous witchers on steam, so the price is even bigger for the people who do not have it, which is a fucking lot by my standards, then the fact it will come out that late, with a assumption it will be connected to the main plot, I'll have to wait months before I experience the whole thing, if they were gonna do it, they should not announce it now, since now I will know there is some stuff missing, so there, that is the almost whole take on this, sorry for the late response, the forums were not loading for me

You don't have to worry about things missing from the game i think. The game is feature complete since maybe 3 months ago so that means the story and how it ends were already finished. They were just polishing it and getting ready for the future of it. These will not be stories missing from the game, they are somehting completely different judging that the 20 hour Blood and wine(?) will be released in 2016.

Top Bottom