Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine - two massive expansions for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+

Sken

Forum veteran
*Looks at starcraft*

---------- Updated at 02:00 PM ----------

Step back from what? The fact CD Red are selling DLC, when they did not before they went to consoles?
I'm failing to see why you are upset about this, did you expect 30 hours of content for free? Is a third the price of the main game too expensive for roughly a third the playtime? Maybe have a think about the man hours and cost involved in developing this 30 hours, 6mths, a year maybe? They can always do nothing and move onto the next fully priced game, is that a better solution?

Aren't both expansions 30 hours anyways? Not 20.

They should release them stand alone.
With an entirely storyline completely different from the main game.
Like a Mask of the Betrayer,

Because, if the storyline in the expansions fit very well the main quest...then is not an expansion.
And there should be new gameplay mechanics.

*Looks at starcraft*

Perhaps look at examples that CDPR are taking inspiration from, such as Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights? I feel that Startcraft is not quite the same page as the kind of product CDPR are producing -- or even emulating in any way.

And someone else broke down the whole ~hours of worth~ in the game : the main quest of tw3 is supposedly 50 hours long, right? and the other hundreds of sidequests are about 50 hours altogether. These xpacks are about 30 hours in total. That's pretty good value for money comparing to the size of the main quest. Not as big to blow the larger, more important story out of the water, but also actually significantly larger than any of the side quests put together. And it's a lot cheaper. I personally think that's my money's worth versus what other game companies have been doing with similar marketing concepts.

You say this is only the beginning of marketing escapades and perhaps you're right. perhaps cyberpunk will be a terrible terrible mistake, sold in chunks for hundreds of dollars. but so far i doubt that's where they're heading, given their current reputation. they've actually committed no wrong yet.

Bottom line is, CDPR have shown intention of charging for bigger content in the past, and if anyone thinks 30 hours of content is not significant, for a reasonable (imo) price of 25 dollars. Then good luck for them and may they find better deals somewhere else.

And as Mr. Iwinski pointed out:
“While we’re offering the Expansion Pass now, we want to make one thing clear: don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call.”

This is pure optional content that is coming months after the game is released. It does not take away anything from the base game.

The price in Brazil is R$ 64,00 (making the conversion). It's expensive, but it's because of the dolar cost here. On Australia you have a lot of taxes on games and stuff, if I'm not mistaken. So you should complain with your government, not with CD RED

For me it's €25 on Steam and €22.89 on GOG. So it must be an error.
That costs $32.44...

For me it's AU$35.89 on GOG and I get a percentage of that back in store credit. Maybe it varies from state to state within the country. But hey -- you're an aussie and you're apparently getting it cheaper than me so there's that. Also what Reptile said.

Attachments

• wooooop.PNG
    wooooop.PNG
    106.2 KB · Views: 45
Also the minimum wage in Australia is higher then all Europe, so your point being ?

The cost of living is also a lot higher... So my point still stands.

And Skyrim Expansion packs were double the length. As I said, a puny 10-20 hours on top of an open world RPG with 200+ hours is nothing. This is small DLC, not real Expansion packs. Skyrim releases real Expansion packs, but this here is small DLC. As i said, CD Red have sunk to a money hungry console level.

Last edited:
I'm really torn about this.

On the one hand, if this is the same quality that I'm used to in the Witcher series, then I'm glad that it will come.
on the other hand, screw paid DLC, no matter from whom. I just don't like it, no I really hate paid for DLC:

...but, if it really clocks in at 30 hours of content, then it's really not what we usually call DLC, it's a full stop expansion and while 25.- Euros are not exactly a cheap price, it's certainly a much better deal than what you usually get nowadays.
If I consider what I paid for the Mass Effect 3 DLC and that I hated, yes hated the ending to that game, this seems like a much better deal.

...then again I can't help but mistrust game developers today. It always starts with something and two years later they are complete sell-outs belonging to EA.
CDPR hasn't failed me so far, so they get the benefit of the doubt, but I'll be watching further announcements and developments with a wary eye.

Last but not least, I think given how burned a lot of us gamers feel today, the announcement of paid DLC (or Expansion) BEFORE we have the actual products in our hands might have not been the wisest course of action.
I'll be checking my game time count when i play Witcher 3 to see if it is significantly shorter than what was promised all the time, to make sure the expansion isn't taken out of what was originally supposed to be in the game.

IDK whether to lament my own failure of character for this or the way even once cherished game developers have destroyed my willingness to trust them.
(This is not directed at CD Project Red, they haven't done anything to warrant mistrust... so far)

And thank die-yng for bringing us back on topic.
Because a discussion on the price of games (or expansion packs) in various countries isn't, so if any of you want to continue to discuss that please move to a different thread.

Sken

Forum veteran
The cost of living is also a lot higher... So my point stands And Skyrim Expansion packs were double the length. As i said, a puny 10-20 hours ontop of an open world RPG with 200+ hours is nothing. This is small DLC, not real Expansion packs. Skyrim releases real Expansion packs, but this here is small DLC.
cmon dude, I'm from Australia as well, $30 is less than a round of drinks with your mates.

I'm really torn about this.

On the one hand, if this is the same quality that I'm used to in the Witcher series, then I'm glad that it will come.
on the other hand, screw paid DLC, no matter from whom. I just don't like it, no I really hate paid for DLC:

...but, if it really clocks in at 30 hours of content, then it's really not what we usually call DLC, it's a full stop expansion and while 25.- Euros are not exactly a cheap price, it's certainly a much better deal than what you usually get nowadays.
If I consider what I paid for the Mass Effect 3 DLC and that I hated, yes hated the ending to that game, this seems like a much better deal.

...then again I can't help but mistrust game developers today. It always starts with something and two years later they are complete sell-outs belonging to EA.
CDPR hasn't failed me so far, so they get the benefit of the doubt, but I'll be watching further announcements and developments with a wary eye.

Last but not least, I think given how burned a lot of us gamers feel today, the announcement of paid DLC (or Expansion) BEFORE we have the actual products in our hands might have not been the wisest course of action.
I'll be checking my game time count when i play Witcher 3 to see if it is significantly shorter than what was promised all the time, to make sure the expansion isn't taken out of what was originally supposed to be in the game.

IDK whether to lament my own failure of character for this or the way even once cherished game developers have destroyed my willingness to trust them.
(This is not directed at CD Project Red, they haven't done anything to warrant mistrust... so far)

That is what I am mainly angry about! The fact the game is not even released and they are already trying to shove DLC down our throats.! It stinks of money hungry.

They are not even expansions... 10-20 hours is not an expansion, that is a little DLC!!! I remember when they had real expansion packs back the early 200's, when all expansion packs were the length of the full game. 10-20 hours is small for an RPG, hell for an open world RPG it is freaking TINY!
The expansions were never as long as the original games. Reign of Chaos is much more longer than Frozen Throne, original Starcraft is also way more longer than Brood War, same for C&C series. DLC is something that you play for couple of hours, they were never suppost to be lengthy. Lair of the Shadow Broker is perfect example how DLC is done good.

The last good expansions i've played were DA: Awakening and Heart of the Swarm and i can tell you even on my first playthrough they were much shorter than the original games which is to be expected. However saying 10-20 hrs content = little DLC? Care to tell me which DLC did that? The expansions barely lasted that much let alone DLCs.

Top Bottom