Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine - two massive expansions for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
Initially it was called the Treasure Chest Limited Collectors Edition and was to contain the day one DLC & ALL FUTURE DLC like a Season pass however as the date gets closer things are dissappearing from it, including the original title & the treasure chest it came in. I purchase all my games digitally however I am a huge fan of The Witcher & when I saw this previewed about a year ago I told my friends at Gamestop when it was available for pre-order to hold me 1 as they only received 3 for pre-order. I understand your point but that's not why I ordered it as both Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine are available for purchase and download on the Xbox marketplace right now. Thank you for trying to help, I appreciate it.

Initially it was called the Treasure Chest Limited Collectors Edition and was to contain the day one DLC & ALL FUTURE DLC like a Season pass however as the date gets closer things are dissappearing from it, including the original title & the treasure chest it came in.

Well, if it did say "all future DLC", then it's indeed misleading and you have a valid argument that they sold you not what they advertised.

If you want to claim they misled you, you can ask for compensation from GameStop. If you have some receipt with those details, it would be easier to claim.

Last edited:
Actually no, there is a version in the Xbox marketplace that comes with Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine & can be downloaded now.

---------- Updated at 05:09 AM ----------

Getting my money back isn't a problem, I was just hoping that the "Expansion Pack" came with it but apparently not. :( The money isn't an issue either, I really did like the Treasure Chest it came in as it was very unique and was packed with some good items. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

---------- Updated at 05:25 AM ----------

Thanks, it's no problem to cancel it. I appreciate that you looked that up. If I remember correctly with the very limited information that was available at the time either the clerk or myself may have just assumed it or was thinking of a different game. No big deal, still going to get it... in one form or another. Thanks again. :)

Buy the expansion packs now if you want them to be excellent

If you want the expansion packs to be excellent, buy them now or as soon as you play TW3 core game and decide whether it is a great example of the gaming arts.

For a dev like ProjektCD every dollar in their pocket as they are actually developing the game at least has the potential to translate into improved gaming for the player. For the Western Big Gaming business model this is not true.

Even for the Witcher 3 and ProjectCD, once the game is released and goes through its initial spike of high sales, it becomes a competing product and will get little further love from the dev. ProjektCD gave TW1 some love after the game was release but not nearly what it deserved. In our current gaming climate developers simply cannot spend money on a game after it is released.

For an at least semi-independent dev like ProjeKtCD, pre-ordering is the only way you can influence the game. This gives them more cash to actually do something. They may not be true, but at least there is some hope. With just about every major dev there is no hope .... the gamer has absolutely no influence.

If TW3 actually turns out to be as great as it seems to be, I will buy the expansion packs for an extra 19$ ..... GOG should give the people who pre-ordered TW3 early a slightly better deal than 19.99$ for the expansion packs but that may be complicated to set up and they have to satisfy Steam with their GOG pricing ... that must be a tricky game.

I will buy the expansions for 19.99$ if the TW3 core game is as great as expected because they will probably be worth 19.99$. How many games are actually even worth 20$ in gameplay .... I haven't played one for a long time.

If you want the expansion packs to be excellent, buy them now or as soon as you play TW3 core game and decide whether it is a great example of the gaming arts.

For a dev like ProjektCD every dollar in their pocket as they are actually developing the game at least has the potential to translate into improved gaming for the player. For the Western Big Gaming business model this is not true.

Even for the Witcher 3 and ProjectCD, once the game is released and goes through its initial spike of high sales, it becomes a competing product and will get little further love from the dev. ProjektCD gave TW1 some love after the game was release but not nearly what it deserved. In our current gaming climate developers simply cannot spend money on a game after it is released.

For an at least semi-independent dev like ProjeKtCD, pre-ordering is the only way you can influence the game. This gives them more cash to actually do something. They may not be true, but at least there is some hope. With just about every major dev there is no hope .... the gamer has absolutely no influence.

If TW3 actually turns out to be as great as it seems to be, I will buy the expansion packs for an extra 19$ ..... GOG should give the people who pre-ordered TW3 early a slightly better deal than 19.99$ for the expansion packs but that may be complicated to set up and they have to satisfy Steam with their GOG pricing ... that must be a tricky game.

I will buy the expansions for 19.99$ if the TW3 core game is as great as expected because they will probably be worth 19.99$. How many games are actually even worth 20$ in gameplay .... I haven't played one for a long time.

No - just no.
What is this, charity hour? CDPR is not a charitable organization and I'm certainly not going to toss money their way for the health of a future expansion.
If they also offered another expansion coming out in 2016 and 2017, would you buy it now?

Back on target - yes, expansions could be included in the literal meaning of downloadable content (DLC). That's precisely what it is - downloadable content. These are not standalone products - they are expansions that you download and are adjoined to the main product: Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
No - it's not semantics, it's a poor decision that someone made.

dlc= content that you can download
expantion= content that you can dowload

clear as water

The best comparison I can give is a geometry one:
• All squares are quadrilaterals. (All expansions are DLC now)
• Not all quadrilaterals are squares. (Not all DLC are expansions)

Because of the development of high speed internet, things that were physical expansions before are now available to be downloaded, technically making them a type of DLC since they can be downloaded. But not all DLC are expansions. Expansions tend to be meaty, lengthy content, not the typical 2-4 hours of content or cosmetic stuff we see.

Examples of expansions:
Base game

Expansion

Examples of DLC
Base game

DLC

DLC = small component, at most one quest, promised to be delivered at no cost, so far not contradicted by any meaningful statement.

Expansion = large component, representing tens of hours of gameplay, never promised to be included in any promotional package.

We are not closing discussion, but unfounded charges that charging for expansions or not including expansions in any previously sold package represent any kind of falsehood will be evaluated closely. This means you bring evidence of a specific promise made to you that expansions as defined above would be included as part of a previous sale, or you don't make it.

Last edited:
Also any dispute of this kind is probably one you should take up with your vendor (in this quoted case Gamespot), not with CDPR or GoG, as the promise for "all future DLC" if made was from GS. CDPR has always said there will not be charges for DLC, and they would reserve paid for content for "real" expansions like in the pre-download era ~ then that this would be 16 pieces of "free DLC" on release and over the next seven weeks. Later an announcement of two small expansions and the option to pre-order them.

This couldn't be clearer from GoG if you tried (unless you forced the expansions to not be available digitally), and it entirely consistent with the original discussions on the subject before the announcement of the 16-DLC.

Given that GoG are explicitly using DLC=small content, and expansions=large content, I would think even this supposed promise for "all future DLC" made by Gamestop is honoured in full by the situation as it stands...

Witcher 3 expansion pass

I was wondering if the pre order price for the x-pac is a reduced price or if its going to be the same price when they release?

Question about Witcher 3 DLC

Hello guys, I wonder something.

I've preordered the PC Collector edition and I wonder if I buy the Season Pass from GOG will it work with my physical copy of game ?

In clear, does the DLC GOG version will work with my physical copy of the game?

The question could seems stupid, but I've already experienced this situation in the past with others games/Compagnies.

Hello guys, I wonder something.

I've preordered the PC Collector edition and I wonder if I buy the Season Pass from GOG will it work with my physical copy of game ?

In clear, does the DLC GOG version will work with my physical copy of the game?

The question could seems stupid, but I've already experienced this situation in the past with others games/Compagnies.

Yes, buy the GOG version of the Expansion. It's the correct one for the retail versions of the game.
There's further detail here:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/35369-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Retail-PC-Version-FAQ

Is the witcher 3 ultimate edition for pc on origin worth the money?

What is the "Ultimate Edition"? The Game+Expansion? You're probably better off getting it on GOG. More of your money goes toward CDPR, if you own previous witcher games you get a 20% discount, you get a bunch of extras, and its DRM free.

it's cheaper on gog, if that's what you are asking. (at least in my region.)
otherwise it's just a bundle of the game and the two upcoming expansions, nothing extra.

I'm not sure why they've decided to call it an "Ultimate Edition", it's just the same Standard Edition + Expansion Pass bundle that everyone else is selling. They say it's "DRM Free", so you're probably just getting the GOG version of the game, which could mean you'd find it cheaper just going direct to GOG as others have suggested. (And you'd be supporting the developers that way).

I have already bought The witcher 3 ultimate edition on origin for 79.99 us dollars

I have already bought The witcher 3 ultimate edition on origin for 79.99 us dollars

Last edited:
Top Bottom