Heavy attacks completely broken?

+
Heavy attacks completely broken?

Is it just me or strong attacks have a sort of 'cooldown time' which prevents from spamming them rhytmically one after another (just like it is with fast attacks). When I shift-click to do the heavy attack, 70% of time nothing happens at all. If the attack somehow starts successfully, I need to wait until the attack animation stops completely and Geralt returns to a standing still posture. It seems like making even a slightest move prevents from doing the strong attack - I have to stop and wait until Geralt stands still before I can attack again. It's ridiculous. Makes it impossible to do a rhytmical sequence of strong attacks, unlike with fast attacks which allow for a nice rhytm and running/moving/dodging does not affect it.

Is it by design or is it a bug? 2 of my friends playing the game say they see the same issue and everyone agrees this is broken. Strong attacks should be slower then fast attacks but it should be possible to do them rhytmically one after another in combat, not requiring Geralt to return to a standstill before attacking again.

Exactly the same issue happened to my FAST attacks once when playing. I almost panicked :) because combat instantly became impossible. I could not deal rhytmical series of blows at enemies, needed to wait after each attack. After restarting game it got spontaneously fixed and fast attacks become usable again. But heavy attacks are broken all the time for me.

I've never had a problem chaining heavy attacks, in fact I do it all the time since It's a good way to break through blocks on some enemies. Have you tried enabling Hardware Cursor in the options? I've heard that can solve most control-related issues.

Makes it impossible to do a rhytmical sequence of strong attacks, unlike with fast attacks which allow for a nice rhytm and running/moving/dodging does not affect it.

This is exactly the difference between Fast and Strong attack, it makes sense based on reality. A medieval sword weights a lot, if you put your whole body behind a swing you will have inertia.

so far, i find heavy attacks completely useless ... if you account for the ramp-up and animation-length of a heavy attack, you can fit 2 fast attacks in which most likely do more dmg while not leaving you as open and being able to do other stuff faster cause shorter animation etc.

they could have done more with the basic attacks... heavy attacks feel pretty much useless to me, esp when you encounter more than one enemy

Yeah to be honest the heavy I rarely use the heavy attacks, and when I use them its to finish the lone monster.

I do use the heavy attacks, didn't notice any delays between them, looked to me quite smooth (I will pay more attention when I get home from work).
But I do see one flaw there, which could make them kinda useless (in theory).
If you invest skill upgrades for light attack and don't invest in heavy attacks - I might be possible than fully upgraded light attacks will do more dps than default heavy attacks. And since you use heavy attack only for certain types of enemy - could make them useless, because of the skill system design choice :(

Last edited:
Heavy attacks aren't meant to be chained together, the dance is in mixing your heavy and quick attacks . They are one-shots to break through an enemy defense and open them up to your quick attacks, or to get a larger bit of damage off if you can only get one shot in safely against a monster. Sure, you can chain them when you get a stun/stagger off on an enemy from the first shot, but what is the point of that when you can finish them off with quick attacks and not open yourself up to any other enemies around you?

Stop fighting like a golem button mashing the hit hard button and pay attention to when you should be using which attack.

This is exactly the difference between Fast and Strong attack, it makes sense based on reality. A medieval sword weights a lot, if you put your whole body behind a swing you will have inertia.

Neither medieval swords nor (latter) medieval armour weighed all that much.

1. As leading sword expert Ewart Oakeshott unequivocally stated: "Medieval Swords are neither unwieldably heavy nor all alike - the average weight of any one of normal size is between 2.5 lb. and 3.5 lbs. Even the big hand-and-a-half 'war' swords rarely weigh more than 4.5 lbs.

not really... medieval swords were typically 1.5-2kg heavy... longswords could be 2.5kg... they were actually relatively light.

Top Bottom