*Heavy book spoilers* Questions about the series

+
*Heavy book spoilers* Questions about the series

Just about to finish the last book and it has raised tons of questions. This will be fairly spoiler heavy, and I've no idea how to add a spoiler tag other than the title. So I'll list my questions now.

1. Is Emhyr still Duny? That whole part confused me. On that topic..
2. Why did he just leave Ciri, if that was always his goal?
3. Triss Merigold. I never once got the sexytime references of her and Geralt that the games make so clear. I know she had a crush, but Did I miss a chapter?
4. Eredin = the wild hunt?

chaosadnd1 said:
Just about to finish the last book and it has raised tons of questions. This will be fairly spoiler heavy, and I've no idea how to add a spoiler tag other than the title. So I'll list my questions now.
0. :) ... spoiler tag
Code:
[spoiler]text[/spoiler]

other answers here:
He is, but just same person, not hedgehog anymore. And only few persons know who he was (Geralt is one of them).

Firstly - he wanted her also to became head of Cintra, that he achieved also with false Ciri.
Secondly - her crying very probably woke some good part inside him and he simply couldn't hurt her. Could be also partly magic thing - Ciri sometimes do what she doesn't even know :) and Yennefer before that also asked him to NOT hurt her (but those are just some ideas). Since she started to cry he had no choice and if he would be smart, he had to know, what life he could expect with this child which would hate him for what he did to Yen and Geralt.

3. Triss Merigold. I never once got the sexytime references of her and Geralt that the games make so clear. I know she had a crush, but Did I miss a chapter?
Blood of Elves - when she arrived on Kaer Morher, I think, during one night she recalled her romance with Geralt. But as I remember there was never any other sexing time between her and Geralt.

Wild hunt are raiders of Aen Elle (elven nation and 'their' world, where Ciri spend some time after she entered Tower of Swallow
Eredin is one of them, probably leader (~king of the wild hunt)

It it's been quite a while from my last reading, but I will try to answer.
From what I remember:
1. From this question I get a feeling that you did not read The last wish and Sword of destiny.
Emhyr is Duny, but that curse slipped of him when Pavetta fell in love with him. So yes. They are the same person, but he does not change into humanhedgehog anymore.
2. Who knows? She is his daughter after all.
3. There is some reference, she had an affair with Geralt. Yenefer blames him somewhere. Can't remember where though.
4. I don't really remember the name, but if Eredin is that elf who commands Aen's elle forces, than yes. They are the wild hunt.

Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong with something

chaosadnd1 said:

Ad1. Emhyr was "working undercover" as a guy named Dunny for a time being.
Ad2. He found out that there are things he just cannot/would not do, whatever he planed. It is very good development of this character.
Ad3. The Blood of Elves, have you read it?
Ad4. Eredin Breacc Glas, the guy from the recent trailer, unless CDPR is planing some surprises.

blackstaggshredder said:
Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong with something
If you can, please use spoiler. I know there is waring in name of the topic, but since mod edited also first post.. ;)

and one small detail about first point, big (maybe decisive) merrit on lifting the curse had also Calanthé, when she decided she gave Pavetta to Duny

Emhyr wanted to use Ciri as a political tool to gain control over Cintra,
to create a foothold in the north for Nilfgaard.
He achieved that by using an imposter in her place and had no more need for Ciri.

In fact I believe that he showed mercy toward her when he noticed that Ciri doesn't
want a life as royalty and wouldn't make any claim that would endanger his plot.
But I cannot say if it was remorse or fatherly feelings that made him show mercy.

No, you probably didn't.
Geralt had an affair with her before, but he had one with almost every sorceress.
At CDPR there are a lot of Triss fans and that is why she is so prominently starred in the games. And they did well by doing so: Triss comes across much more understandable than in the books.

:p/>/>

Yes.
He is the leader of the Red Riders, the heavy cavallry of the Aen Elle army, who are the Wild Hunt.

Thank you everyone for the replies, and sorry about the spoiler tag, couldn't figure it out. And yes I have now read all books, but I get add in between and forget a bit of detail. I plan on reading them all again in the near future, but had just read the chapter with ciri crying as she is being taken away and all these questions started popping up in my head. Thanks again !

Edit:ugh tablet typing

chaosadnd1 said:

Duny was a pseudonym that Emhyr used while he stayed in Cintra, because he was under the threat of death (plus Queen Calanthe, Ciri's grandmother despises MNilfgardians. Emhyr's father was assassinated by a mage who also cursed Emhyr to turn into a hedgehog-monster. Geralt cured Emhyr's curse and asked for the obligatory "something you are not expecting" which happens to be Ciri (this will be crucial to answer question no.2)

While our Cirious emperorzorn has a great political explanation about this, i don't think it's entirely true. The northern monarchs sent diplomats to confirm Ciri's identity in nilfgaard and found out that the real Ciri was out there. Emhyr mistakenly killed Pavetta during the boat teleportation. He was devastated even more when he realized Ciri was not on the boat because she was taken by Calanthe.

There are 2 major reasons why Emhyr wanted to take Ciri: To destroy the ice age prophecy (Ciri's descendants can save the people from extinction) and because he loved her. So much so that he started a goddamn war with the North to take her by force.

But on that day when Emhyr saw what he had done, to see his and pavetta's daughter sobbing... he knew that rewriting destiny was a fool's errand. He has already lost pavetta, he can't bear to lose Ciri. No matter how hard he tries or how long he waits, Ciri will never forgive Emhyr if he kills Geralt and yennefer. He will never have Ciri's love, not then... not ever. In addition, he has taken the witcher's oath. Emhyr knows that Ciri belonged to Geralt and Yennefer.

Geralt and Yennefer were realistic couples, meaning that they fight... a lot. during their separation, Geralt found solace with Triss who was Yen's best friend. One thing leads to another and that's how the love complex started. FYI, Yen also had boyfriends, most notably a powerful mage who almost had a duel to the death with Geralt. Go read a shard of ice, it's awesome

Eredin is the KING of the wild duck hunt. He and his Aen elle buddies were capable of sending their spectral emanations to another dimension. These specters are what the locals call "The wild hunt". Their mission is to find people with elder blood, who have the power to bend space and time at will. They had a hard-on for Ciri because she is the descendant of Lara Croft dorenn, the elven queen who was supposed to marry Auberon Muircetach, king of the Aen Elle but ran off with Cregennan of Lod, a human mage. Ever since then, Auberon has made it his personal mission to retrieve the descendants of elder blood to fulfill the destiny. In his mind "if i can't plough the mother, at least i can plough her daughters".

Hope these answers can help

Thank you atc. Yours and everyone elses explanations made me remember things forgotten. All books deserve a reread. I think I also just found my most favorite line in the last book. When Ciri is visiting places where she did thing sshe regrets, she says to Geralt " But I will stand in front of them with humility. I will remember the look in their eyes. I hope the memory of those eyes will protect me from similar mistakes.Do you understand,Geralt?"

That paragraph made me all tingly for some reason :p

So I've played both Withcer games and I've just finished reading the books, the fan translations. I'm a bit confused, what exactly happens at the very end with Ciri, Geralt and Yennefer? Will this be explained in the third game?

Is the Lady of the Lake the last book Andrzej Sapkowski wrote about the Witcher? So without the games from CDPR I'd be left hanging by a thread not knowing what became of them?

And is what happens in these games official? Do CDPR have to run the story lines past and get permission from Andrzej Sapkowski before the games are released? I.e does Andrzej Sapkowski agree that Geralt suffers from amnesia and the game plots etc.

rohirrim7 said:
I didn't read the books, but I know that the games are not canon.

They're not?

I'm finding it hard to believe that Andrzej Sapkowski ended the series how he did. I don't really know what happened and what was to happen the three characters. Hopefully the Witcher 3 will make things clearer.

And if anyone wants to explain to me exactly what happened at the end of the Lady of the Lake I'd greatly appreciate it.

johnners2981 said:
So I've played both Withcer games and I've just finished reading the books, the fan translations. I'm a bit confused, what exactly happens at the very end with Ciri, Geralt and Yennefer?
Geralt dies, Yennefer tries to rescue/revive him, but she fails and faints. Ciri, being in shock, can revive him with the help of that unicorn, but she realizes that both (Geralt and Yennefer) will never find their peace in this world with her together, so she travels with both to an island (Malus Island) and let them there, while she goes back to Galahad. And they all lived happily ever after, maybe.

Really shortly summed up
johnners2981 said:
Will this be explained in the third game?
No, i don't think they will do that.
johnners2981 said:
Is the Lady of the Lake the last book Andrzej Sapkowski wrote about the Witcher?
No, actually he released a new book just recently: here is the thread. But the Saga is finished, this new book is just a side story, at least that's what i understood.
johnners2981 said:
So without the games from CDPR I'd be left hanging by a thread not knowing what became of them?
Yes and no. Geralt and Yennefer are living on that island, hopefully happy, while Ciri went off with Galahad in England.
johnners2981 said:
And is what happens in these games official?
No, not really. Even though the games are sequels to the books, we can't really say they are canon. The games just expand this universe without contradicting it.
johnners2981 said:
Do CDPR have to run the story lines past and get permission from Andrzej Sapkowski before the games are released?
No, they bought the license to make the games and with that they hold all authority to do whatever they want. Sapkowski can't change that anymore.
johnners2981 said:
I.e does Andrzej Sapkowski agree that Geralt suffers from amnesia and the game plots etc.
I don't think he commented that in particular, but, well, let's say he isn't fond of games at all.

Kallelinski said:
Geralt dies, Yennefer tries to rescue/revive him, but she fails and faints. Ciri, being in shock, can revive him with the help of that unicorn, but she realizes that both (Geralt and Yennefer) will never find their peace in this world with her together, so she travels with both to an island (Malus Island) and let them there, while she goes back to Galahad. And they all lived happily ever after, maybe.

Really shortly summed up

No, i don't think they will do that.

No, actually he released a new book just recently: here is the thread. But the Saga is finished, this new book is just a side story, at least that's what i understood.

Yes and no. Geralt and Yennefer are living on that island, hopefully happy, while Ciri went off with Galahad in England.

No, not really. Even though the games are sequels to the books, we can't really say they are canon. The games just expand this universe without contradicting it.

No, they bought the license to make the games and with that they hold all authority to do whatever they want. Sapkowski can't change that anymore.

I don't think he commented that in particular, but, well, let's say he isn't fond of games at all.

Kallelinski said:

I think what he isn´t fond about is that some people put game story in the same "canon level" as the books, rather than the games themselves. And let´s face it, if he was shown TW2 he´d probably quit when Geralt wakes up besides a nude Triss.

Top Bottom