Hello, Night City!

+
I just feel like you guys spent too much time looking at cyberpunk artwork that only captured one particular style. The dark, neon covered city. Cyberpunk is way more than that.

I know that Cyberpunk is more than rain and neon. The new trailer just didn't click with me, but I am happy for everyone who loved it. I am just worried that CDProject Red might have wanted to emulate GTA, Watch Dogs 2 or other bland and boring mainstream titles.

• RED Point
Reactions: Yex
I know that Cyberpunk is more than rain and neon. The new trailer just didn't click with me, but I am happy for everyone who loved it. I am just worried that CDProject Red might have wanted to emulate GTA, Watch Dogs 2 or other bland and boring mainstream titles.

You know, this is understandable. The way the trailer was cut is similar to a lot of other open world games so I think the problem is the precedent other games have set rather than what CDPR presented. People are drawing comparison to other games, thinking this game is trying to chase their success.

I think the next trailer we see will have a different focus.

• RED Point

I think that might be unavoidable, cyberpunk has a lot of driving and hacking in it already. 2020 has an entire book just for cars in fact.

You know, this is understandable. The way the trailer was cut is similar to a lot of other open world games so I think the problem is the precedent other games have set rather than what CDPR presented. People are drawing comparison to other games, thinking this game is trying to chase their success.

I think the next trailer we see will have a different focus.
For me it's that the new trailer looks nothing like original teaser.
Just look at the buildings, in teaser they were more cluttered and closer together. They were also really tall. New one looks to have everything spaced with no real tall buildings, city looks modern.
1528715507265.jpg

This was a good thing. Go outside for once and look at all the colours the world has. Seriously this anti colour shit is the dumbest thing ever.
You mean the almost omnipresent yellow filter? jk
Well good for you but this "realistic" approach killed the atmosphere for me.
I prefer to have a fitting and immersive atmosphere than a realistic world.

And to stay on topic, this last thought of mine applies to Cyberpunk 2077 as well.

For me it's that the new trailer looks nothing like original teaser.
Just look at the buildings, in teaser they were more cluttered and closer together. They were also really tall. New one looks to have everything spaced with no real tall buildings, city looks modern.
View attachment 10969835

I think your point of reference is skewed because the shots in the reveal trailer aren't looking up at the buildings like this one is. There were plenty of tall buildings shown, but you can't really feel how tall they are unless you are at the bottom looking up.

This is fair, though I have the utmost confidence in the narrative themes the game will push, given The Witcher.
Is the narrative the only thing we can expect from CDPR? or can they finally do better than that? I also like the narrative of TW3, but that was in most part the only thing I liked about it. Then again, the main story was too cluttered with side quests and lost somewhere among them, so it sure wasn't immersive for me.

Yes, that shot was particularly painful.
Funny thing, that I'm not the only one who feels that way. That shot was the most awful for me too.

2) Generic-looking protagonist. OMG he can be put in any shooter of the last 10 years and we won't be able to tell the difference.
The moment I heard his voice, I got the exact same impression and to make it worse, I didn't liked what he was saying.

Once again, I feel like you guys are upset because you th trailer didn't place at night, with a primarily blue color palette, with dark,ambient music on top. I get it, I really do. But you are acting like cyberpunk as a genre has only one kind of mood, and that was never the case. Even Ghost in the Shell has bright colors in it.
I think you should read more, than you did, because your impression isn't exactly, what this is about. :)

I just feel like you guys spent too much time looking at cyberpunk artwork that only captured one particular style. The dark, neon covered city. Cyberpunk is way more than that.
It is indeed and I watched every GITS anime and saw various styles. I've seen "cyberpunk-like" cities in full sun, frequently even looking sterile-clean in various movies/images and yet I was still calling them cyberpunk, how? Why am I not calling this trailer cyberpunk-enough to call it cyberpunk?

Go outside for once and look at all the colours the world has. Seriously this anti colour shit is the dumbest thing ever.
Tell that to many artists around the world. :)

I loved it... besides the fact it was daytime, I think they nailed the 80'ies Cyberpunk look quite well. I especially liked the different levels of sophistication of tech, from crude, dull street level gear to high tech, crome plated classy stuff like the spinner limo.

• RED Point
Also generic looking protagonist is pretty much confirmed you create your own character... and honestly i don't care about voice acting but content and quality of dialogs.

• RED Point
If you have a minute, do visit cyberpunk.net and share your opinion (about anything) with us. We read everything you post and treat it very seriously.
Sure, why not - although that last sentence is so (corp-like) "usual PR talk" you cannot possibly mean it, can you?

The new trailer:

I didn't expect actual gameplay footage, there was none, so it's all good. I take cinematics trying to convey mood or the general tone of a game over nothing any day of the week.

I liked that you're trying to mix it up a little in regards to the protrayal of the world and society, especially in comparison to the first teaser cinematic trailer from 5 years ago. There's the bog standard sci-fi neo-noir stuff and an obvious emphasis on 80s-influenced tech noir but also elements reminiscent of more recent films like Dredd or even Elysium. The contrast of showing Night City (and yes, I did my homework and am aware of the city name's origin) mostly during daytime I thought was a clever thing to do. Nothing like effing with people's expectations a little.

I also liked that the trailer was narrated by and centered around a single character, seemingly confirming yet again that Cyberpunk 2077 is indeed "a true single-player, story-driven RPG" where the main focus is not about saving the world but yourself, and yourself only. Although I could have done with something a little different than default buff buzzcut-guy off the shelf. In case you actually were trying to do something different by NOT going for something (or someone rather) representing "inclusiveness" and "equality" and all those other things - well played. Again, nothing like effing with people's expectations a little.

As for the game itself and its gameplay I'd like to point you to Gamasutra's resp. Felipe Pepe's write-up on the history of the Quest Compass & its dreadful convenience, as this is something I'm still very concerned about, especially after Wild Hunt's failings in this regard. I really would like to see Cyberpunk 2077 do better on that front and NOT overly or even exclusively rely on any kind of "Witcher Senses" or mini maps or quest compasses to traverse the world.
Please make sure to write EVERY quest or mission in such a way that you can (optionally of course) orientate and navigate on landmarks, points of interest, even cardinal directions alone, and without any "hand-holding".

Peter Molyneux's closing quote in the linked article is particularly on point in this regard:

"Mini-maps are shit. They're shit because you make these multimillion-dollar games, and people play them staring at these little dots."

Thanks for reading (and/or not reading).
Spot on, couldn't have said it better.

Still need to see raw gameplay and a meticulous dissection of the game's RPG aspects, not buying into the hype just yet.
This could still turn out not what we were promised.

Love this trailer, can’t wait to see more!

Hopefully we get a female V trailer or a look at character customization soon — seems to me a lot of people are concerned/confused about V and think that the protagonist is set as the man from the trailer. I understand needing some consistency for marketing purposes, but making it known that there’s character customization and the ability to play as a male or female character is key here. ‘Course, I’m sure there’s plenty of time for that in the months (and years?) ahead.

Took Bioware till ME 3 to finally release a Femshep trailer. How many years was that?

Last edited:
As many I am a bit disappointed by the trailer especially in contrast to the first one. Some aspects are obvious like the colors, others are more subtle and I realize that what I am really afraid of is that this new trailer shows the new attitude of the game designers and writers - and boy, has it changed. Let me explain, what I mean.

The first trailer brilliantly created a story by giving you information seemingly piecemeal: you see that beautiful woman and then the bullet which will kill her - but the bullet is shattered, powderized not even scratching the perfect skin. Cut to the shooter who is - next surprise - police, the slow motion bullets, the shells dropping to the floor next to the sexy red shoe. At this point we feel with the woman, want to defend her. The next shot combines the concept of cyberware with that of sexy woman, who is shot at by a whole squad. And now, for the first time, we see her between the corpses, see the embodied weapons bloodied from the killing. All the time she doesn't move - which is the next puzzling moment. In the next few shots the representation of what happened in the media ('massacre') is presented and the cyborg response from the police to the - for normal humans - untouchable killer. This first real threat wakes her up from whatever kept her still and at the very end there is a fight immenent. All this is colored by the extreme slow motion and the melancholy music with its enigmatic lyrics.

The trailer succeeds in involving us emotionally and in presenting us a lot of puzzles at the same time. Immediately we start to fill the gaps with plausible story fragments: has she been hacked, is she really responsible? 'Personal responsibility' being the refrain from the lyrics. Does she really deserve to die? - All this in a blade runner setting pointed to a game which was open to and interested in the moral complexities TW1-3 discussed. In its focus we saw a moral sensibility which made you care for the losers and the lost, avoiding the black and white of the mass popular fiction.

Now compare this to the new trailer. On the surface it is full of social commentary. From the voice over descriptions of the world, the foreground happenings to the small elements in the background. So, seemingly, in the very center of its focus is the bad state of the world. But the asymetric power relations and the personal cruelty is always simple and has no moral complexities. It is a very simple good guys vs. bad guys scenario and you immediately recognize the side a character is on: see 0.32, the performance reviewers of Stephan Torouil, or 0:36 the vip woman leaving the car

What is even worse, the depiction of violence. The victims look, first of all, weak (0:15 or 0:40). They had it coming, because they are weak. If you are someone in this world, you want to be - first of all - one thing: strong. And the main character is shown to be that in many different ways (for example 1:14 where all other die), the whole build up around the "I am big dreamer" (0:50) concentrates on that one simple trait. Violence is justified because the world and the others are violent. The two prostitutes almost killing the man, who, as the gun on the floor implies, was threatening them (0:40), or the robbery gone wrong (1:13). Nothing complicated about that. And this is emphasized by the upbeat, aggressive music which puts us on the side of the fighters and killers, not the side of these weaklings.

Someone compared the new trailer to Disney, and this is true for the moral sensibility we see here at work. If this new trailer shows what and who the game designers in charge think we want to be, we will get something which is very different from The Witcher and the first trailer of the game. Either - and we can only hope for that - the trailer really misrepresents the coming game in central core elements or it will be a real disappointment for those who loved these aspects of the former games of CD Project.

• RED Point
Love this trailer, can’t wait to see more!

Hopefully we get a female V trailer or a look at character customization soon — seems to me a lot of people are concerned/confused about V and think that the protagonist is set as the man from the trailer.
Agreed to the character creation part, but I doubt a female V trailer would help much... besides maybe showing off her voice (I'm simply going to asume that we'll get a voiced protagonist).

@Zaldon: Possible, but personally I thought the trailer just tried to show off us many scenarios of "things going on" in Night City as possible... so, while the first trailer wanted to "tell a story" and set an emotional mood, this one didn't really... also would explain the generic voice over, which probably not even is the final voice of the protagonist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom