Hello, Night City!

+
:)

Awesome grab there mate and what an awesome tip off the hat to Blade Runner

I love CD Projekt Red, I own all Witcher games and expansions, but ... I don't know what to say ... I feel conflicted ... I expected it to be a lot darker, it gave away too many GTA vibes and not the atmosphere I expected from the first trailer. I expected it to be more dark and noire like Blade Runner. Also, I know I am crazy, but graphics look outdated for 2018, although the lighting is incredible. I trust Cd Projekt Red though. I just hope they spend at lest 2 more years in development.
Personally, I pray for a darker tone, I don't know...perhaps at night...perhaps in some side quest..but just please...darker tone.

Disney Cyberpunk, disappointed.
I agree a little. I do not know about your tastes, but I personally expected a mix of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, Ergo Proxy, Serial Experiments Lain, Dredd, Neuromancer and of course, Cyberpunk 2020 hahaha. But this is just the beginning of something big, I know. I know because it comes from the creators of one of the best games in all history...

I personally expected a mix of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, Ergo Proxy, Serial Experiments Lain, Dredd, Neuromancer and of course, Cyberpunk 2020 hahaha.

You'll get most of that but without all the doom, gloom and excessive rain and darkness. CDPR stated already that Cyberpunk 2077 wasn't going to be Blade Runner and depressing but Rock n Roll and Punk.

while yes cyberpunk is also an aesthetic, for me atleast it is mostly about the story and the world, a game could have cildish or dark aesthetics and i dont care as long as the rest is true to what most people belive is cyberpunk.

I just want my life to be controlled by some larger than life corperation that is usingmy and my thoughts to make nothing but profit, just like everyone else here.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/05/01/cyberpunk-2077-putting-the-punk-back-into-cyberpunk
“Most people think cyberpunk is just a summary of specific tropes; big guns, dark streets and dangerous guys in ubiquitous leather dusters,” writes Pondsmith in the first of a series of excellent blogs on the Cyberpunk 2077 website. “But the core of cyberpunk is a lot more subtle than that. Cyberpunk is about the seductive qualities of corruption and decay… It doesn’t have to be dirty or grimy on the physical level. But on the psycho-social level, even the cleanest and most orderly Corp-zone should be rife with darkness and collapse.”

Honestly, I think that when the damage-control night trailer releases people are gonna shit their pants of hype.

CDPR just screwed with expectations badly. Although what was going to happen was so obvious, I wonder if its not all part of some kind of plan.
oh its definetly planned they know excactly what people expected, and knew this would create a minor backlash. most important for them right now is to make sure more people are hyped about this game and like it or not, most people will find that trailer more interresting then some nice moody bladerunner-ish trailer. dont forget that bladerunner 2049 was a boxoffice failiure, even though it may be one of the greatest sequals ever made. they dont want that the same thing happening to their game. the average person who bought the witcher 3 hasa no idea what cyberpunk or even cd project red is.

Last edited:
http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/05/01/cyberpunk-2077-putting-the-punk-back-into-cyberpunk
“Most people think cyberpunk is just a summary of specific tropes; big guns, dark streets and dangerous guys in ubiquitous leather dusters,” writes Pondsmith in the first of a series of excellent blogs on the Cyberpunk 2077 website. “But the core of cyberpunk is a lot more subtle than that. Cyberpunk is about the seductive qualities of corruption and decay… It doesn’t have to be dirty or grimy on the physical level. But on the psycho-social level, even the cleanest and most orderly Corp-zone should be rife with darkness and collapse.”
While I agree on principle, even William Gibson - the guy that literally INVENTED the concept of Cyberpunk - seems to think the trailer didn't represent the setting adequately... I dunno, maybe we have to see more to get the whole picture.

William Gibson - the guy that literally INVENTED the concept of Cyberpunk

No, he did not, he wrote a book and got lucky. The cyberpunk genre started back in the 60s and 70s as New Wave Science Fiction. There is also Philip K Dick who wrote a little book that did more to influence cyberpunk than Gibson could. And it was a fellow named Bruce Bethke who first coined the term cyberpunk with his book Cyberpunk. Bethke, Dick and many others created Cyberpunk, Gibson just got lucky.

While I agree on principle, even William Gibson - the guy that literally INVENTED the concept of Cyberpunk - seems to think the trailer didn't represent the setting adequately... I dunno, maybe we have to see more to get the whole picture.

Gibson did not "invent" the concept, the concept was invented by Fritz Lang with Metropolis in 1927, and expanded upon with films like Blade Runner, Brazil, and even Logan's Run, as well as the writings of Phillip K. Dick (Scanner Darkly, Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep, We can Remember It For You Wholesale, etc.) all done before anyone had a clue who Gibson was. Even when Gibson did get popular, he was just one among many of the early pioneers in the genre, he just happened to be at the forefront when Bruce Bethke voined the Term Cyberpunk, which defined the genre.

As for Generic, he should know, as his works were part of the basis of the modern aesthetic, in other words, the epitome of generic, the white bread upon which the sandwich is built.

The Cyberpunk Pnp game upon which this was based was very much meant to be generic, as it was meant to appeal to every fan of the genre, fromfans of Gibson and Effinger, to fans of RoboCop and Blade Runner, to fans of Bubblegum Crisis and Appleseed.

OK, then, I do not buy it. I will be looking forward to Blade Runner stuff. That being said. Thanks for attention. I do not like Mike Pondsmith representation of Cyberpunk. I prefer Deus Ex a lot, then. Bye.

I do NOT want it. If I do not get it, then goodbye. It's not for me.

I do not care about how some Mike Pondsmith takes it. I couldn't care less. I do care how I and many other people take it.

No one will miss you, no one will even notice your absence...

Yeah, CDP should focus on creating something different and unique, but big at the same time. They are not able to copy GTA stuff whatsoever. You were not the first to do that. They were. And it is they who rule it.

You need to create something unique on your side that you are able to be a ruler of. It's like you were trying to copy Bioshock. It is so unique that it's almost impossible for you to become successful as copiers of it. Difficult times, I guess. You'd be better with another Sapkowski title.

And cyberpunk? It seems that some Mikey rules, not you. Deux Ex guys really cared about some Mikey?

Did you go to the Lord Of The Rings movie complaining that nobody cares about some Tolkien guy, and that Jackson should totally make his movie like that Dungeons and Dragon movie? Actually that would explain the Hobbit movies...

Anyway, CDPR apprached Mike Pondsmith because they wanted to make HIS world the basis for their game. They very specifically wanted to make a game based on Cyberpunk 2020, which Pondsmith CREATED. I know you have trouble wrapping your head around a concept like that, but this is the game everyone involved wanted to creat, and the game that fans of that property have waited decades for.

It looks like GTA V because it's set in the same part of the US. GTA takes place in a fictionalized Los Angeles, Night city is in between San Francisco and L.A. and more closely resembles San Fran, including in it's relationship to a large bay. In other words, it's an open world game that takes lace in northern California, in the near future, of course it's going to look a little like GTA. And that's a good thing, as GTA with Cybertech and the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG skil mechanics, is my ideal Cyberpunk 2020 game anyway.

The protagonist(s) look generic so you can recognize them as the protagonists for the purpose of the trailer. I am sure the character customization, clothing, and cyber, will allow for wildly unique looks.

No, he did not, he wrote a book and got lucky. The cyberpunk genre started back in the 60s and 70s as New Wave Science Fiction. There is also Philip K Dick who wrote a little book that did more to influence cyberpunk than Gibson could. And it was a fellow named Bruce Bethke who first coined the term cyberpunk with his book Cyberpunk. Bethke, Dick and many others created Cyberpunk, Gibson just got lucky.
I know, I was talking "mainstream" there... believe it or not, but most people these days don't even know Bladerunner was based on a book, but quite a few people remember Neuromancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive or VIrtual Light. ;)

Anywho... I'm not saying I have a problem with how the world is represented in the trailer, heck, I myself ran a campaign based in the Caribics once, complete with high tech submarines and hacker dolphins... not much dark and dreary atmosphere there. All I'm saying is, it could send (and apparently already has sent) the wrong message to some people "in the mainstream", to make the trailer that... "atypical".

Given the amount of fighting this trailer has caused, I am wondering if releasing it as early as they did was not a mistake.

believe it or not, but most people these days don't even know Bladerunner was based on a book, but quite a few people remember Neuromancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive or VIrtual Light.
I pity those people >.>

All I'm saying is, it could send (and apparently already has sent) the wrong message to some people "in the mainstream", to make the trailer that... "atypical".

That's something I've pondered though, I know Cyberpunk 2020 was widespread, I played it for 10 years but I've wondered just how well would the "mainstream" handle it with it not being anything like any of those books or Blade Runner.

I know, I was talking "mainstream" there... believe it or not, but most people these days don't even know Bladerunner was based on a book, but quite a few people remember Neuromancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive or VIrtual Light. ;)

Anywho... I'm not saying I have a problem with how the world is represented in the trailer, heck, I myself ran a campaign based in the Caribics once, complete with high tech submarines and hacker dolphins... not much dark and dreary atmosphere there. All I'm saying is, it could send (and apparently already has sent) the wrong message to some people "in the mainstream", to make the trailer that... "atypical".

I seriously doubt anyone that is a fan of Gibson is unaware that Bladerunner was based off Do Androids Dream....

In fact, given the resurgence of Blade Runner awareness due to 2049, I would go as far as to say that more people are aware of that fact than they are the existence of Gibson at all. His books exist in a very tight niche, while Bladerunner is popular among sci-fi fans and film fans alike. The only Gibson films are Johnny Mnemonic, which was universally panned (though I still love it) and New Rose Hotel, which no one has ever heard of.

That's something I've pondered though, I know Cyberpunk 2020 was widespread, I played it for 10 years but I've wondered just how well would the "mainstream" handle it with it not being anything like any of those books or Blade Runner.
Indeed, even with the gaming audience, Cyberpunk conjoures quite a different image: Deus Ex, Shadowrun, Syndicate (Satellite Reign, as the reimagining is called),... they all did the slow paced, grimdark first and foremost.

@wisdom000 ...and Johnny Mnemonic was RAD!

Top Bottom