Hello, Night City!

+
Trailer does not impress me at all. I mean you you can have the best quests, story and gameplay, but if you miss the atmosphere that's a big minus. I also like the first trailer.

Something like this is much better:

The first trailer doesn't look like the video you posted.

I have not played the tabletop game myself to know the lore but cyberpunk established itself in the 70s and 80s where urban decay, physical as well as psychological, and hopelessness in class struggle were mainstream. It was also a time where technology was not viewed as means of liberation but oppression. Cyberpunk is about surviving and challenging that claustrophobic rigidity and hopeless decay. That world does not fit well in the open air and nice weather of our impression of Southern California which the second trailer captures.

This is fair, though I have the utmost confidence in the narrative themes the game will push, given The Witcher. And while there is a desire for aestheic decay, I see nothing wrong with variety. I also maintain there wasn't extreme aesthetic decay in the first trailer, which people seem to love.

Trailer grew on me the more I watched it but I'm still a bit disappointed in much of the aesthetic shown. Part of Cyberpunk is the inherent look, there's just no denying it. You can have all the pink mohawks & 80s retro you want but there needs to be a certain look IMO. The daytime lighting just didn't do it for me. Too bright. The streets - too clean.

Like ok, tell me this doesn't look like Far Cry, or Watch_Dogs, or GTA.
View attachment 10969808

Yes, that shot was particularly painful.

My brief impressions.

The good:
1) 80s-inspired cyberpunk setting (expected).
2) Quality visuals. Doesn't look like we're being bullshitted with non-realistic visuals that won't be in the final game.

The bad:
1) It feels too much like GTAV, probably thanks to the way the trailer is made (takes inspiration?), not enough dark and gritty brutality of 80s-inspired cyberpunk. Feels too different from the initial trailer, which was dark and stylish with rather unique gear.
2) Generic-looking protagonist. OMG he can be put in any shooter of the last 10 years and we won't be able to tell the difference. Maybe it's a good idea to make default look as individual as possible, and those who won't like it still have an option to create their own characters (similar to Mass Effect).

The ugly:
1) Truth. My belief in this game is based almost solely on the past CDPR projects, which were fantastic to say the least. This trailer didn't convince me, nor blew me away like, for example, "Witcher 3 VGX" or "Witcher 2 Iorveth meets Leto" trailers.

I think you're right when you mention the time difference between the two may have the answer as to why the world looks so different.

To be honest, I don't need answers why "the world looks so different". Just need it to look properly.

Unfortunately, CDP seems to be inspired by GTA V. The setting, sun... and all that... which I think is a wrong path to go.

This is fair, though I have the utmost confidence in the narrative themes the game will push, given The Witcher. And while there is a desire for aestheic decay, I see nothing wrong with variety. I also maintain there wasn't extreme aesthetic decay in the first trailer, which people seem to love.

The first trailer took place in a narrow street crowded by imposing skyscrapers. There is hardly any open sky. The surroundings and the event have technology abound but exudes nothing but control and aggression. It was cyberpunk in a nutshell.

• RED Point
Reactions: Yex
What I have not seen is any compelling argument why there cannot be a post-cyberpunk world that is, at least in some ways, lighter than the neo-gothic grimy angst that some feel is "The One True Cyberpunk!" while still retaining many of the elements normally associated with the genre; transhumanism, corporocracy, and sticking it to the man.
I hope you'll understand after I give you a simple answer... wait...

Many people want dirty, darker atmosphere (instead of palms and sunshine beaches) not only because it fits the universe, but also because if they want palms and sunshine beaches, they can always play GTA V etc.
...I actually don't have to, because someone already answered it for me. You still wondering why, or is this answer enough?

We should allow for the possibility that the world of Cyberpunk 2077 will be as diverse as our own.
Did I ever said it shouldn't? I perfectly understand Mike Pondsmith's approach here - make the world varied, alive, or people will drop it, because it will be boring. This means that his universe should indeed experience various great changes, due to various important world events, BUT again - one thing that is a great mistake here, is dropping the atmosphere, that made his world unique in it's own way. Then again, this is only part of Cyberpunk world, so it's quite possible that other parts of his universe have just the vibe many people desired. Basically the biggest issue here, is that the setting chosen for the game is a bust. We already played Vice City -like games many times over the last years. We waited for a game with the cold and dark atmosphere of future dystopian cities, which is incredibly rare not only in video games, but also in movies. This is what we get in the end - another movie/game, we already saw/played before.

With so little information available at this point, can we honestly be certain that the short trailer is truly representative of the entirety of the game?
And who said it is? I sure didn't said that, but one thing this trailer showed me, is complete lack of the proper vibe, that artists at CDPR clearly don't feel. Their work on the trailer clearly shows that. Watching some scenes from the trailer was like watching Hollywood movies - same scenes, same characters, same action, over and OVER again, in almost every movie. I've seen many Hollywood movies and some are SO generic, SO schematic, that the moment I start to see them, I already feel as if I watched this movie millions of times before. This is precisely the feel, that this trailer gave me.

As others have pointed out, the same was said of TW3 yet things worked out.
Excuse me, but where did it worked out and for who? I played TW3 and many things in this game are awful. Just because some people aren't vocal about it, doesn't mean the game is 10/10. For me it's far from that level. It sure does have its good sides, but they're heavily weight down by its shortcomings.

It's pretty amazing how people have this strict idea of what a cyberpunk world looks like.
You don't? Cyberpunk is a very well known name, frequently used to describe a cold and dark, dystopian future, also frequently connected with huge futuristic cities. If that's amazing to you, then you have probably been borned yesterday.
One thing I can agree to now, is that the time has come to drop the name. Afterall, it's Mike's universe, not ours. Simple solution - change the name used from Cyberpunk, to let's say - "cold, dystopian future" and this way we drop the viral marketing of a universe we actually dislike. :)

It's just so weird to limit a cyberpunk world's aesthetics so unrealistically.
I'm really sorry for you, that your imagination is so limited and you fail to understand other people.

Why wouldn't there be sunshine? Why wouldn't there be a variety of colors? Why think that suddenly because they're showing off safer corporate areas with relative amounts of peace that there won't be any moments at all like in the original teaser?
Because when we talk about fictional universes, we also talk about worlds that people imagine, because they want to feel specific emotions related to them. Specific vibes these worlds give. They want to experience specific atmospheres of these worlds.
I remember when I played Fallout 1 years ago. It was long after the game was released, I simply decided to try it out again (it didn't interested me enough before). I started playing and the more world of Fallout I was discovering, the more immersive the game was becoming to me. I eventually got so immersed, that I couldn't stop playing. I got completely immersed in the dying world of humanity, their last days, I LOVED it!
After all I saw and loved, I finally traveled to Necropolis and I was shocked - THE ATMOSPHERE! WOW! This was the best cake ever! When I finally got to the Glow, I was melting not out of radiation, but out of my joy! It was the best icing on the best cake of my life! Then I return to the Brotherhood, they allow me inside their bunker and what do I see? "Hi wastelander! As you can see, we have quite the operation going on here, so humanity sure is far from dying!". I stopped playing and never returned (and I even tried to return, but just couldn't). There was something about that dying humanity, that grabbed me and didn't wanted to let go. Incredible sentiment I cannot explain. The Brotherhood nonsense obliterated it instantly.
I have such a sentiment towards cold and dark, future, dystopian cities too and I see nothing surprising about it.

It's super silly and just plain unreasonable.
Of course every human being who feels something, is "super silly and just plain unreasonable". How did I even thought otherwise? (sarcasm)

If anything my biggest relief while watching the trailer was that it wasn't the same fucking aesthetic plastered everywhere.
Yeah it didn't gave me that Hollywood vibe at all, none at all, not even a bit, nor Vice City. It sure is super original. (sarcasm)

But would I actually enjoy the game more if it was all dark, rainy nights? Fuck no.
That's you. I enjoyed more than one game, which not only had one specific feel to it (in the atmosphere of the universe), but was also varied enough, to keep me playing.

A setting with good atmosphere has plenty of variety in it.
Actually you fail to discern two things, because atmosphere and variety are two different things and you clearly mix them up. One atmoshpere setting doesn't imply, there is no variety in the world. What you say here is as much absurd, as saying that one rainy/sunny day isn't varied enough, as if rain/sun were the only things, that are happening that day. Proper atmosphere is created through proper use of: light effects, fog/smoke-like effects, colors, scenery, proper camera shot and of course, music. What I saw in the trailer, is uninspired trash - at least when it comes to my personal expectations.

so I have no idea what the fuck people are complaining about.
Seeing what nonesense you write, I doubt my post will change that. Lack of understanding of other people is your problem.

The first trailer took place in a narrow street crowded by imposing skyscrapers. There is hardly any open sky. The surroundings and the event have technology abound but exudes nothing but control and aggression. It was cyberpunk in a nutshell.

Sure, and I think people really prefer that claustrophobic look for the whole game. I'm personally not against the variety.

I hope you'll understand after I give you a simple answer... wait...

...I actually don't have to, because someone already answered it for me. You still wondering why, or is this answer enough?

Did I ever said it shouldn't? I perfectly understand Mike Pondsmith's approach here - make the world varied, alive, or people will drop it, because it will be boring. This means that his universe should indeed experience various great changes, due to various important world events, BUT again - one thing that is a great mistake here, is dropping the atmosphere, that made his world unique in it's own way. Then again, this is only part of Cyberpunk world, so it's quite possible that other parts of his universe have just the vibe many people desired. Basically the biggest issue here, is that the setting chosen for the game is a bust. We already played Vice City -like games many times over the last years. We waited for a game with the cold and dark atmosphere of future dystopian cities, which is incredibly rare not only in video games, but also in movies. This is what we get in the end - another movie/game, we already saw/played before.

And who said it is? I sure didn't said that, but one thing this trailer showed me, is complete lack of the proper vibe, that artists at CDPR clearly don't feel. Their work on the trailer clearly shows that. Watching some scenes from the trailer was like watching Hollywood movies - same scenes, same characters, same action, over and OVER again, in almost every movie. I've seen many Hollywood movies and some are SO generic, SO schematic, that the moment I start to see them, I already feel as if I watched this movie millions of times before. This is precisely the feel, that this trailer gave me.

Excuse me, but where did it worked out and for who? I played TW3 and many things in this game are awful. Just because some people aren't vocal about it, doesn't mean the game is 10/10. For me it's far from that level. It sure does have its good sides, but they're heavily weight down by its shortcomings.

You don't? Cyberpunk is a very well known name, frequently used to describe a cold and dark, dystopian future, also frequently connected with huge futuristic cities. If that's amazing to you, then you have probably been borned yesterday.
One thing I can agree to now, is that the time has come to drop the name. Afterall, it's Mike's universe, not ours. Simple solution - change the name used from Cyberpunk, to let's say - "cold, dystopian future" and this way we drop the viral marketing of a universe we actually dislike. :)

I'm really sorry for you, that your imagination is so limited and you fail to understand other people.

Because when we talk about fictional universes, we also talk about worlds that people imagine, because they want to feel specific emotions related to them. Specific vibes these worlds give. They want to experience specific atmospheres of these worlds.
I remember when I played Fallout 1 years ago. It was long after the game was released, I simply decided to try it out again (it didn't interested me enough before). I started playing and the more world of Fallout I was discovering, the more immersive the game was becoming to me. I eventually got so immersed, that I couldn't stop playing. I got completely immersed in the dying world of humanity, their last days, I LOVED it!
After all I saw and loved, I finally traveled to Necropolis and I was shocked - THE ATMOSPHERE! WOW! This was the best cake ever! When I finally got to the Glow, I was melting not out of radiation, but out of my joy! It was the best icing on the best cake of my life! Then I return to the Brotherhood, they allow me inside their bunker and what do I see? "Hi wastelander! As you can see, we have quite the operation going on here, so humanity sure is far from dying!". I stopped playing and never returned (and I even tried to return, but just couldn't). There was something about that dying humanity, that grabbed me and didn't wanted to let go. Incredible sentiment I cannot explain. The Brotherhood nonsense obliterated it instantly.
I have such a sentiment towards cold and dark, future, dystopian cities too and I see nothing surprising about it.

Of course every human being who feels something, is "super silly and just plain unreasonable". How did I even thought otherwise? (sarcasm)

Yeah it didn't gave me that Hollywood vibe at all, none at all, not even a bit, nor Vice City. It sure is super original. (sarcasm)

That's you. I enjoyed more than one game, which not only had one specific feel to it (in the atmosphere of the universe), but was also varied enough, to keep me playing.

Actually you fail to discern two things, because atmosphere and variety are two different things and you clearly mix them up. One atmoshpere setting doesn't imply, there is no variety in the world. What you say here is as much absurd, as saying that one rainy/sunny day isn't varied enough, as if rain/sun were the only things, that are happening that day. Proper atmosphere is created through proper use of: light effects, fog/smoke-like effects, colors, scenery, proper camera shot and of course, music. What I saw in the trailer, is uninspired trash - at least when it comes to my personal expectations.

Seeing what nonesense you write, I doubt my post will change that. Lack of understanding of other people is your problem.
is it past your bedtime or something you seem very cranky

... for those that wanted to see some gritty, slimy, dirty, darky, neonish env...
...just wait until CDPR release a "Red Light District" trailer. Yeah, I just loveeeeeee to see somethin' like that next.
CYBERPUNK FRAME 50% 013.png

Last edited:
If the lore ( a foundation) dictates the atmosphere and the world design, let's change the lore, not the atmosphere etc. for the sake of the lore. If the lore has flaws that negatively impact other aspects of the game, so to speak.

Last edited:
We do not need this fun that the game pyshchet. We need a noir style that was in the first trailer, we need a dramatic story, we need seriousness in the game ... And this is all the fun leave Watch Dogs and Borderlands

Last edited:
Why do people bring Watch Dogs? Did they even play it? It's a gritty neo-noir story. It's much more serious than what was shown in this new CP77 trailer.

Watch Dogs, at least the first one, is really different in feel from GTA series. CP77 looks and feels like GTA.

This trailer (art style, color and tone) deviates drastically from the original concept trailer back in 2013.

I wonder why? I find it kind of strange.

Pay attention to the way people are dressed in the original teaser trailer. It's loud and flashy. Just because the scene takes place at night with something particularly terrible going on with moody music doesn't mean the final game won't have similar moments.

Once again, I feel like you guys are upset because you th trailer didn't place at night, with a primarily blue color palette, with dark,ambient music on top. I get it, I really do. But you are acting like cyberpunk as a genre has only one kind of mood, and that was never the case. Even Ghost in the Shell has bright colors in it.

I just feel like you guys spent too much time looking at cyberpunk artwork that only captured one particular style. The dark, neon covered city. Cyberpunk is way more than that.

I bet the attached picture seems like it comes from a different trailer, but it doesn't. All these shots were present.

Attachments

• 1528711857592.jpg
    1528711857592.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Holy moly this is insane.

But it also means i have to change my pc when this game comes out...

Why u do this to me cdpr???

Top Bottom