Hello, Night City!

+
He's a tech guy. He's very clued in on the gaming world.
There was a moment a few years back when he called Ubisoft out on naming The Division "Tom Clancy's The Division," when it a) came out after Clancy had passed, and b) had nothing to do with his novels.

I was actually kind of annoyed at the "GTA with a cyberpunk skin" comment, to be honest.

yeah I know. I don't completely agree with the comment and it wasn't a good moment to post it here.

still, I find it cool that he's familiar with games.

Last edited:
Nah, it's cool, thanks for sharing and all. I just sort of read it as an "old man yells at cloud" moment, but he's entitled to his opinion since he created the damned genre.

but he's entitled to his opinion since he created the damned genre.

He helped popularize it he didn't invent it, Gibson was just in the right place at the right time but.
While our beloved cyberpunk really started in 1927 with the classical Metropolis by Fritz Lang before being called Cyberpunk by Bruce Bethke in 1983 with his book Cyberpunk, a year before Neuromancer arrived. Then you can't ignore Philip K Dick's masterpiece that gave us a movie lauded as a masterpiece now but was panned by nearly everyone at release XD

He helped popularize it he didn't invent it, Gibson was just in the right place at the right time but.
While our beloved cyberpunk really started in 1927 with the classical Metropolis by Fritz Lang before being called Cyberpunk by Bruce Bethke in 1983 with his book Cyberpunk, a year before Neuromancer arrived. Then you can't ignore Philip K Dick's masterpiece that gave us a movie lauded as a masterpiece now but was panned by nearly everyone at release XD

Yeah, true enough. I even remember an old quote where he mentioned considering scrapping Neuromancer when he watched Blade Runner and saw that it was doing a lot of what he tried to do.

Yeah, true enough. I even remember an old quote where he mentioned considering scrapping Neuromancer when he watched Blade Runner and saw that it was doing a lot of what he tried to do.

I feel he shoulda almost, I have a copy of Neuromancer that I've been trying to read for 3 years now but I get rather bored with after a chapter.

I feel he shoulda almost, I have a copy of Neuromancer that I've been trying to read for 3 years now but I get rather bored with after a chapter.

Trying to read it now, after decades of others (including Mike Pondsmith) adding their own take on the genre, may make it seem underwhelming, but it's still a classic. It sets up the rest of the trilogy, and the trilogy as a whole is rather important if for no reason other than to see what Cyberpunk was like in the early days. Sure, the newer stuff may be flashier, but you really can't ignore the book that made the word "Cyberspace" part of modern vernacular.

After watching the various bits of vid from everywhere over the last couple of days, the only real thing that's bugging me is the music. Just didn't fit well for me. Teaser song was inspired by comparison. That's just personal taste though, even more pleased now than the first couple takes on the trailer. Can't wait for more facets of the game world to be revealed.

As of from the Interview during E3 yesterday, there was quite lot things which were said regarding the content and story line.
For me it looks like this game is going to become huge, like really huge, even bigger than Witcher 3.

Therefore there is a lot of work to do which will of course take its time to complete. That said, CDPR has to take the time required to finish the game development. Release it when it's done, that's how I like it!

He's a tech guy. He's very clued in on the gaming world.
There was a moment a few years back when he called Ubisoft out on naming The Division "Tom Clancy's The Division," when it a) came out after Clancy had passed, and b) had nothing to do with his novels.

I was actually kind of annoyed at the "GTA with a cyberpunk skin" comment, to be honest.

I think this comment is just kind of cancer, like when someone watch a new trailer about an upcoming hack'n'slash RPG & only thing write/say as feedback in the comment section: "Diablo with XY skin", meh

I think Gibsons comment was a bit.. let's say neither well timed nor really thought through. I do think he is right but at the same time, why say it? The point is, every game will have a GTA vibe at first glance that features a city, vehicles and violence if your focus is to show that too. Of course you can make a trailer at night and set a different focus but I think the point was to say: This is the place you are playing in, no it's not just night time, look how diverse the characters are from fat guys to kids, everything is in there, you will be able to drive and there is a stark contrast between the high society and the peasents, while Vala Morgulis everyone can be a victim of the fights in this brutal world. Also there are fun activities like kicking people on the gr- err.. kick-boxing and basketball. I mean what was anyone thinking years back and after the Witcher 3? That this would be Deus Ex like small and tiddy? Of course not and the information from the Demo are already showing that this is different to GTA even though it has similarities that are absolutely inevitable for this kind of game - which is nothing wrong to begin with. Mafia back then was very similar to GTA as well and was for most part or very well still is my favorite city sand box game and was also very story-narrative driven.

I don't think though that Gibson is looking too down on the game here. He also said a thing or two about Shadowrun but it never felt like he was really angry, just a tidbit arrogant maybe. But he might underestimate what Cyberpunk does here. I bet Neuromancer is mentioned more the last 72 hours than it was for years and yes, I bought the trilogy monday and I am reading it for the very first time. Without Cyberpunk it sure would've take a way longer time. I am just at the beginning but I really see how Neuromancer had such an impact (together with other works), beacuse from the first page on it's Cyberpunk and doesn't feel just like some proto-work that just inspired what we know today but it really is Cyberpunk.

I am pretty sure I am not going the only one experiencing Gibsons work thanks to Cyberpunk as same as Sapkowski and Glukhovsky profitted from Witcher and Metro (even though Sapkowski denies it and Glukhovsky is calling him an arrogant motherfucker for this who is wrong). Of course Pondsmith is going to profit too, especially should there be a 2077 edition of Cyberpunk 2020.

I am not sure why this demo has not been shown to the public yet. Pretty funny to hear about the impressions and stories of others without seeing anything. We have to imagine everything based on some stories and relations. It would be easier just to present it with some commentary to show what it really is.

BTW, even Danny O'Dwyer said on his Twitter that it reminds him of "First Person GTA". It seems I am not alone in my impression that I got from the trailer.

@fantesmeee You're not the only one, I found out the trailer pretty generic too...
I hope it's just this one trailer... I don't know... I suppose we'll have to wait for those 50 minutes of gameplay...

I still hope its more like the first teaser and not so much like this. I know i said it already but this looks too much for me like a GTA only in future.
But hey, i'm open for every surprise.

Can't really blame him, it's what the trailer looked like.

Right. It looks like it, but it will be very different in most aspects. It might remind us of GTA V (unfortunately) but it's going to be a totally different experience. Especially because GTA is not an RPG at all. And I am fine with it. Hopefully, there will be more noir - many people want it.

Top Bottom