Help getting back into Gwent

+
I played this game a lot back in closed Beta and a little bit again after CDPR revamped everything. I'm trying to get back into it.

But, coming back to the game now, so much has changed and I don't know where to start; new factions and modes, abilities etc and I have 171,000 dust from back when CDPR changed everything up and had to compensate players who had acquired most cards. I don't know where to start using it.

So my question is can anyone recommend a way to ease back into this game? Are there any fun and not too complicated deck archetypes to play? What's good at the moment generally and where's the meta at?

Hi there!

If you do not know where to start, I would visit some Gwent channels on YouTube and check the latest decks. There are many excellent players who share their own decks or try decks made by other people. Some names you might want to check:

Fuschia Briefs
Trynet
Freddybabes
Specimen Gwent
Bomblin

You can also visit this section here:

and go faction by faction, ability by ability and check which one suits you best. I guess it will take a while before you learn about all the changes/strategies/tricks from the last months, but you are already familiar with the game, so I understand you know how to play it.

I would recommend starting in the Training mode since you have a smaller chance of meeting those pesky meta decks.

Some of the most interesting things introduced recently include bounties (more cards with that tag), sabbath (really powerful cards, especially those new bronzes) or patience (cards' abilities grow stronger as turns go by).

Thinning Nilfgaard decks are prevalent, Jackpot's popularity is off the chart, Relic Monster decks simply swarm the ladder.

Just give yourself some time, try what works best for you and you will know everything in no time.

Best of luck

Well i think @Cyncynat88 has already give a lot of advices.

I Also recommend you visit team leviathan and team Elder blood sites and see theyr decks and also watch The vídeos about The decks.

Other streamers i recommend.

Bushr (in The beggining i hated him, i thought He was toxic. But He took a break and came back and now He is my favorite).
Spyroza (similarity Bushr)

A lot of people have given good tips for finding currently successful deck and cards; I would like to give suggestions for learning and discovering for yourself.

In the year and a half since I started playing there has been a strong trend toward very powerful gold cards which tend to dominate and shape the meta. There are multiple two point per turn engines, and engine combinations that can easily play for 8+. There are a lot of “remove or lose” cards. Because of this, there has come to be significant removal throughout the meta. And because of this, the focus has turned to cards that either distribute engine power over multiple units (e. g. swarm/boost combos), that generate carryover value (e. g. Erland), or cards that play for immediate value (preferably without causing any one unit to go too tall). Syanna and Damien are out, while Eist, Tunnel Drill, and Gezras are in.

Until the last expansion, the gap between top gold cards and bronze cards has steadily and significantly widened. (Given the push back against the recent strong bronze units, with no pushback against OP golds, I would not be surprised to see this trend continue.) Thus, deck polarization — stuffing a deck with low provision cards you intend to mulligan in order to fund as many top golds as possible — is the typical deck-building strategy. But this works best with tutors and thinning strategies to help draw the expensive gold cards.

I have chosen the route of crafting very few cards (only those I really want to play) and accumulating scraps to finally spend when I can get a complete set — that way I minimize wasted duplicate cards from kegs, but it means I cannot compete at top levels. From my limited perspective, I will attempt to identify good general purpose cards to recommend crafting — cards I expect will hold significant value across decks and metas; staples one can repeatedly turn to. Hopefully others will supplement/correct my list.

RECOMMENDED NEUTRAL CARDS

Heatwave
Oneiromancy
Curse of Corruption
Portal
Yrden
Triangle
Roach
Rockslide

Beyond these, there are numerous neutral cards are either fun meme cards (Syanna) or very useful in specific decks (Ciri Dash, Ihuarraquax).

Non-neutral gold cards are often deck defining — I would generally recommend crafting them with a particular deck in mind. But there are certain cards that have value in multiple contexts — I will mention those of which I am aware, but I can easily overlook cards that don’t fit my style or overvalue those that do. By the way, I do play all factions, but, right now, I am most comfortable with NR, SK, MO, and NG. I will not intentionally include cards in starter decks as they don’t need to be crafted.

GOOD ALL-PURPOSE FACTION CARDS

Echo Cards
Defender Cards
WoW Location Cards (available in reward trees)
Scenario Cards
Lock Cards
Purify Cards
Transforming Cards
Master Mirror cards with an “if order is not used” effect
8 provision special card tutors

OTHER MONSTER CARDS
Yghern
Naglfar
Caranthir
Ozzrel
Imlerith’s Wrath
Nithral
The Beast
Parasite

OTHER NILFGAARD CARDS

Joachim
Yennifer’s Invocation
Braathens
Vincent
Vilgefortz (meme?)
Henrietta (meme?)
Kolgrim (limited decks)
Artorius
Cantarella
Roderick

OTHER NORTHERN REALMS CARDS

Seltkirk
Prince Ansies
Queen Adalia
Keldar
Botchling
Flotest’s Pride
Vysogota

OTHER SCOIA’TAEL CARDS

Gezras
Vernossiel
Novigradian Justice
Saber Tooth Tiger
Servant Trap
Pitfall Trap
Treant Boar
Gaetan
Gord

OTHER SKELLIGE CARDS
Eist
Hemdall
Mordvark: Heart of Terror
Dracoturtle
Sigrdrifa’s Rite
Skjordal
Champion’s Charge
Raiding Fleet
Gigascorpian Decoction

OTHER SYNDICATE CARDS

Novigradian Justice
Phillippa Eilhart
Vivaldi Bank
Luiza
Sigi
Igor (meme?)
Moreelse
Flying Redanian
Tavern Brawl
Tunnel Drill
Whoreson Junior
Whoreson’s Freak Show
Gord
Cleaver

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
@HenryBukowski Hey, welcome back to the game, im also a closed beta player.

On your post you mentioned you had a great amount of 'dust'. I think you meant scraps. 'Dust' is an unoffical term used to describe 'meteorite powder', which is the resource that lets you transform cards into premium.

1. Spend all the ore and reward points you have to get more ore, openn kegs to increase your card collection a bit

2. Use scraps to craft cards. Which ones? The ones recommended on this post by other users or the ones in the meta reports, on the decks you find interesting. I recommend spending half to 2/3 of your scraps, always leave a surplus aside for "emergencies"

3. If you do have meteorite powder (the green resource), dont spend it now, play a good amount of hours and when you find your favourite cards, start transmuting those, with priority to legendaries since those are the least likely to appear on kegs.

--------------------------------------------------------

I can never recommend looking at meta reports or netdecking, not even to beginners. But it my be advisable to look somewhere, maybe some videos to get a grip of the meta, to know what you will face.

The most simple deck in the game is actually quite strong right now and popular in the meta: Monsters thrive, now combined with sabbath. I consider it extremely boring, but beginners may find fun in simplicity, so consider that.

Getting back into GWENT myself, is there a cap now on how much gold, scraps, and or meteorite power you can acquire?

The easiest, just go to twitch and watch any of the mentioned streamers like spyro_za. Since he plays always the most competitive decks you can copy any deck from your favourite faction to start practicing with some decent deck.

Top Bottom