Help me build a Gaming Rig!!

+
Help me build a Gaming Rig!!

So I want to buy a new and powerful pc, and decided to ask dear old TW community. I'm building this pc not just for this game(Don't hate me ;D), but for future games.One more thing, I'm still learning a couple of things about pc's, so there maybe newb questions.Here is what I came up with.Monitor: SAMSUNG T240HD"24Case: CHIEFTEC GAMING BLACK MIDITOWER WINDOWVideo Card: EVGA GTX275-896, 896 MB-448 bit/ E-635 MHz/M-2322 MHz/DDR3/HDTV-DVI/PCI-E/Fan/HDTV.out/DVI-Dual/SLI-3-way SLI /Geforce with CUDAHard Drive: WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLACK 750GB SATA2 7200RPM 32MBRAM: CORSAIR DDR3 3X2GB 1600MHZ DIMM CL9 KIT Processor: INTEL CORE I7-920 2.66G 8M LGA1366 BOXMotherboard: ASUS S1366 IX58 DDR3 SATA2 GLAN 8-CH ATXPSU: CORSAIR TX SERIE PSU 750W 140MM FAN ATXMICROSOFT WIRELESS OPTICAL DESKTOP 700 USI still haven't decided on the cooler.Any suggestions?? And thanks in advance!!

Os far, at what i see... you got something going there... you surely learned your lesson well... I just need to look at your video card a second time and try to find the model inside all those numbers :) There is one thing that, i will playit as a quizz with you so you remeber it: What in a computer is the bottleneck (what slows it down ? )What could you change to speed it up.... 2 or maybe 4 times ?

That looks fine Sanok.Are you planning on overclocking at all? That would be the deciding factor for your cooler. If you're not, then the stock cooler will be more than enough, in fact you can get some pretty good overclocking results with it (maybe 3.0-3.2ghz). If you got something a little more expensive you could take the clock up towards 3.6-4ghz.If you do want to overclock and aren't sure how to go about it on i7, give a holler and i'll lend a hand :peace:

sanok16 said:
Are you by any chance referring to the Hard Drive?
Woott, you got it. yes the hard drive. This is the slowest thing in your system so, the speed of it is important. They now have SSD with which you don't need to bother about speed but, they come with a high price. If you look at neweggs you can see that for a 128Gigs SSD you will have to pay 300$. They do have greater speed but, they can be much slower when working on small files. For a good explanation, you can look at the Wikipedia. But, you have other option that will help also, having 2 hard drive so you can install the OS and your games/application on one drive and, the Swapfile on the other (also with the files that you keep.Or, you could get 2 exactly the same and set up a raid:RAID 0 (stripped) where your 2 disk are used at to read the same file all of the time as the files have parts written on both disk, twice the speed but, it comes at a cost, if 1 of the 2 drives fail, you lose it all.RAID 1 (Mirrored) once again the 2 disks works togheter but, they write the same thing so, now gain at all but, if 1 drive fails you can keep on going as the other one has all your info :) Or you could go for 4 identical disks (or more but, always even number of drives.):RAID 1 + 0 or RAID 0 + 1 as you can see here, you have the advantage of both, gain of speed and, a back up of your data.To have a better understanding of RAID (redundant array of independent disks), have a look at the WikipediaOther than that, i have nothing to say. Some are suggesting to Overclock but, think about your investment and future ones as overclocking cancause damage to your components :) Before i forget, your video card, OMG, that,s a beast... you will have some fun there :) So have fun with all this and once you have an idea of your final choice, let us know :)

Thanks guys, as expected from TW community!!OMG!! SSD Hard Drive costs the same as two of my Video Card's, this goes FAAR above my budget.Overclocking??Is it that dangerous??Are there any side effects??I'll defiantly need a good cooler, so what do you recommend??By the way, I'm buying all my tech from M79, that means I can only get what they are offering.Here's the list of cooler'shttp://www.m79.lv/product/index/group/22?by=pr_dIt goes from the highest price to the lowest.I can afford any cooler that's in there, all I need to do is choose.And I really don't know anything about coolers.

Hi again,If you weren't planning to overclock in the first place i wouldn't bother buying an extra cooler, the stock coolers for i7 cpu's are just fine.It's a common misconception that overclocking can cause damage to your components - it's actually overvolting that can potentially damage your cpu, but since increasing voltage is common when overclocking (though by no means necessary) the two get tainted with the same brush. What overclocking can do is make your system unstable (note: not physically damage your components), when you get to a certain point, this is why there are programs to test stability and ensure that your overclock is running 100% ok. The reason people buy better coolers is because increasing the voltage of the CPU also increases the heat out put, so better methods of removing that heat are required (I have a water-cooled system myself), but at stock clocks and volts (what you buy out of the shop) the stock cooler is more than enough.Having said that, you will probably be better just getting your system and enjoying it Sanok, and not worry about overclocking / raid arrays etc for now :peace:

Ok, a final check.I updated RAM it hadCORSAIR DDR3 3X2GB 1333MHZ DIMM XMS3 KITand nowCORSAIR DDR3 3X2GB 1600MHZ DIMM CL9 KITSo, is it better??My class college told me that he doesn't trust Corsair RAM and ASUS motherboard, whats up with that??And can you tell me which cooler would be best, if I choose to overclock in the future??

Doesn't trust Corsair RAM and ASUS motherboard!?Wouldn't see any problem with that at all, I have Corsair RAM and ASUS motherboard in my computer, you should ask your classmate why he "doesn't trust" the brands ;)

Your RAM upgrade - well you won't notice any difference with day to day usage / playing games etc, however the 1600mhz kit will help your overclock if you decide to do one. I happen to have the same 1600mhz Corsair kit, it's very good value.Doesn't trust Corsair memory? You can't beat them, really. I've never had an Asus board but i know plenty of people who have and they're known for being reliable, tell you class mate to shush :peace:It's hard for me to use that site as it's not in english, but remember for X58 you need a socket 1366 cooler, and there are only one or two on that page, the best being the "ZALMAN CNPS9900 LED CPU COOLER 1366 SOCK". That's one of the better coolers in its price range, and will make a big difference compared to Intel's stock cooler IF you decide to overclock (i'd estimate 3.4-3.6ghz at least)

Ok, one last question(Promise).Are you sure that my pc won't go "FLAME ON" on me, without that cooler.Sorry for being so annoying, but this pc is pretty expensive.

Ask as many questions as you like :peace:No of course it won't ;)The stock coolers are great, especially for the i7 cpu's, they're better than previous stock coolers from Intel. They're designed to be used @ stock settings, which is 2.66ghz for your i7 920, and overheating will never be an issue for you. Overheating is only an issue when you start raising voltage through overclocking - heat is one of the limiting factors for how far you can push your CPU.Think about it, if CPU's died because their stock coolers weren't good enough Intel would go out of business :peace:

You need to ask your bud as where he got that info, Asus and Corsair always (or mostly) had reputation in the Highest tier.I would recommend that you get the basic cooling that comes (or is recommended) with your processor. As for Overclocking (OC) No need to start a cat fight here so, if you want to make your mind, here is a website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking and at the bottom, you will see many info about Overclocking.If you have questions again, go ahead as this forum have tons of people highly qualify and willing to help you.Have fun and enjoy, Mobidoy :)

I asked him and he had no real reason to hate it, but he recommended meOCZ Platinum RAMMSI X58/ICH10R S1366 ATX MotherboardI can't get OCZ Platinum, but I can get MSI X58/ICH10R S1366 ATX Motherboard.So should I update??It costs 10$ more, hardly a problem.I also added MICROSOFT WIRELESS OPTICAL DESKTOP 700 US.

I think you should stick to ASUS & Corsair. As stated before, it is what I use, your to-be PC configuration is better/faster than mine, and the only game that has gotten my rig down on it's knees to far is GTA IV, but that is Rockstar's own fault for making such a crappy PC version...And about the cooling you shouldn't worry, in case you wish to overclock in the future you could just buy and extra cooler then, right? ;)

Almost forgot, I did some researching and found out that 640Gb HDD's work best, but they don't have BLACK CAVIAR 640Gb, they havehttp://www.m79.lv/product/single/group/13/vendor/49/product/30200/WESTERN_DIGITAL_CAVIAR_640GBandhttp://www.m79.lv/product/single/group/13/vendor/49/product/35383/WESTERN_DIGITAL_CAVIAR_GP_640GB_SATA2_7200RPM_16MBShould I keep 750Gb or choose one of 640Gb??

yes stick to asus and corsair.For hd, why are you not looking at 2 hd instead of 1 big, as i have said, you can have 1 hd for windows, games and application, the other one can be used for data (music, video, picture, documents) and, where the gain of speed is made mostly, the Swapfile.

I don't know, but I never had 2 HDD's before, there might be problems.Will I really notice the difference if I use these two HDD's??http://www.m79.lv/product/single/group/13/vendor/49/product/18087/WESTERN_DIGITAL_CAVIAR_SE_320GB_SATA2_7200RPM_8MB