Help me figure out how to make Reaver Hunters great again

+

So, Reaver Hunter not only lost their Trio, but a bunch of new Bronzes plus the increases across the board have left them in a terrible spot. If you get 3 Hunter out at one time, they are only 10 points each, that is actually below average at Bronze. 4 does jump you way up, but even at 14 points each its not as impressive or snowbally as many other current power Bronzes. Not to mention, playing your first, and generally your second Hunter leaves you horribly low on tempo. That isn't to say NR doesn't have other tools, but completely nullifying this one is a bit of a bummer, especially for new players, since its was one of the few solid Commons in the faction. Considering Henselt can no longer pull them as well and the card is much harder to deploy without exposing it for its massive weaknesses. Its true the Trio was often very powerful and forced you to make plays that either left you open to counter play or completely crushed your opponent, but now the card is horrible.

Similarly with the new Blue Stripes Scout change, Temerian Infantry is also weaker, cutting almost all the old cards that held NR up down a notch. There are some great new choices, but NR still lacks solid Carry Over options, and now its hard to stay up in tempo as well.

Also, IDK why the title of my post was changed. I don't know that I mind, but its somewhat rude to change it without at least informing me. That seems very passive aggressive.

Last edited:
Machine and Armor archetypes are really good now though. Specially now that the leaders have the Crewman tag. I was kind of disappointed with how limited Henselt is but he still is pretty reliable in other decks. Try using the new cards, Northern Realms is always the underdog.

The reason they had to nerf Reaver hunters is because, they are trying to make a money printing machine like Hearthstone.
Hearthstone has a ton of RNG. Blizzard simulates each possible deck together and finds two that can have a close game. It then constantly re-arranges the cards/RNG so that the game can stay close.

Reaver hunters were too complicated so simulate in these internal algorithm so they nerfed them out of existence.

Expect to see tons more RNG being and more and more dumbing down of the game. They want to drive yachts and drink out of gold cups.
They game is already starting to feel like "gee I hope it buffs the right guy".

i think there is something that can be done cool, but set up might be insane. it would involve thinning out all bronze except medics and RH by 3rd round. i figure that medic triggering RH to re-bond could be cool. also use nenneke to rez a couple RH played earlier (so the 1 left gets bond built up) along with operator and summing circle. shani possible too.

i ask for help because i've never done much with medics before, so the above is all theoretical. and i wonder if need to include reaver scouts?

with the deck thinning, thinking BS scout + BSC, then temerians before doing any medic play.

while the above is not all in order, i'm hoping someone with more medic exp can help figure something that could be fun.

edit, dj play needed too, but i don't have much exp with him either.

Last edited:
Huge disappointment with this update. I like to play NR, it's all I play! My strategy was Kaedweni Sergeants, (now nerfed as well) and a few others in first round, then Henselt and reaver hunter in the 3rd round with Ves. Now NR is absolute garbage. Too bad because I was really enjoying this game....

bigbarretbobp;n9427511 said:
Huge disappointment with this update. I like to play NR, it's all I play! My strategy was Kaedweni Sergeants, (now nerfed as well) and a few others in first round, then Henselt and reaver hunter in the 3rd round with Ves. Now NR is absolute garbage. Too bad because I was really enjoying this game....

tell this to armor NR pulling 100+ per round how bad NR is atm

Not entirely sure what your question(s) is/are (there is one sentence that actually ends with a question mark), but I have some experience with medics.
You would need 15 bronze cards to satisfy the minimum requirement. With 3 reavers and 3 medics that leaves you with 9 slots potentially, getting the best results if you manage to clear out all other bronze units before you start playing the medics and reaver hunters. Since you cannot use Henselt on BSS to do the thinning discussed by you is possible, but not guaranteed. Having reaver scouts might help with that (but make your overall deck size larger as well, but would not make it work all the time either.
Something you could do instead is replacing it with a kaedwen/siegeweapon package and a few bronze spells (since medic cannot pull bronze spells if they are still present in the deck). The Kaedwen siege supports would not be a total waste should some remain come round 3 (since afair, buffs remain on cards pulled back into the deck by field medics, and KSS might even buff cards appearing medics those every time they do), and even 1 or 2 of them with Henselt into the Siege weapon of your choice is a powerful turn 1 that should help getting your opponent to pass quickly.
Medics can pull any bronze unit from the deck, even of the same type as the one you just pushed back in (and can also pull other field medics).

So now that we got the bronze cards covered, add deck thinning cards to the remaining slots like Sile (since there are bronze spells present), Dijkstra, Natalis with tactics cards...

thank you for the reply. i'm just trying to figure out if something can be done in reality with it all. and since i'm unfamiliar with medics, all help is appreciated.

i just remembered that new ves can mulligan 3 times (need both a soldier and officer in hand when deployed). so maybe try and get as many BSS from original mulligan, then use ves rd 1 to complete the deck set up for total thinning of bronze before rd 3. and before getting there, play 2 RH's so bond builds on the remaining one before nenneke them back into the deck for later.

in theory, medic onto reaver hunter should boost the bonding? then DJ whatever you can out of the deck near end. possible dandelion for further buffing.

it all sounds majorly complicated, but amazing if pulled off...in theory, assuming whatever is even a reality.

Lunchi;n9418741 said:
The reason they had to nerf Reaver hunters is because, they are trying to make a money printing machine like Hearthstone.
Hearthstone has a ton of RNG. Blizzard simulates each possible deck together and finds two that can have a close game. It then constantly re-arranges the cards/RNG so that the game can stay close.

Well. that's not true at all, you just sound a little bit salty because you lost in HS.

so i learned that medics reset RH from their boost (i didn't know that before), which means much of my early talk is null and void. i still think can figure something out to make them viable, but it'd be hard.

Well, I don't know that Reaver Hunters are strictly dead. As I said, getting 4 of them is 14 points each, which is kind of powerful, its about in range of where you need to be, but losing the Trio still means you lose over the top power swing. Old Reavers were 6 points, and maybe that's too high, starting at effectively 7, but IDK. I mean a 7, then two 9s then, three 12s doesn't seem that crazy to me. Even four 16s doesn't seem that crazy considering the commitment to get there. Not ever having the option to smash something for those extra points definitely makes them weaker, and against the average Bronze now is so much stronger that these could easily be fine at 6. Its still disruptable and much less reliable than it was.

I know there are options for NR, but I think having a very good cheap option helps bring new players to factions, and having a bunch of diverse win conditions is important to making the game more varied. Yes, NR has viable decks, but its pretty much just the one major win condition in all of them. Your leader and a few bronzes change, but your big power comes from Armor and repetitive buffs. Every other faction seems to have decks with different styles of play, not just different leaders and a few bronzes swapped.

The_Odinson;n9418351 said:
Also, IDK why the title of my post was changed. I don't know that I mind, but its somewhat rude to change it without at least informing me. That seems very passive aggressive.

Your thread was merged into another one bearing that title.

Top Bottom