HELP! Please explain cold blood.

+
You first have to take the "Cold Blood" skill perk. Which is silly, as it allowds you to purchase other cold blood enhancers, before you even obtain Cold Blood.. But its very self explanatory. Im not understanding how this is confusiong, unless maybe there is a language barrier? Like many RPGs, its a buff that activates 'On Kill'. Meaning, when you kill an enemy, you get the "Cold Blood" buff for 10 seconds (before any other enhancement perks you have invested into). If you have the UI enabled, you will see the buff icon. Again, you have to actually get the Cold Blood perk in that tree. Its one of only 3 or so available in the tree, until you invest more into "Cool" stat

Guest 4375874

• Increase Crit. Damage by 2%
  • Increase all Resistances by 1%.
  • Increase stealth damage by 10%.
  • Reduce the speed at which enemies detect you in stealth by 0.5%
  • Increase Monowire damage by 3.
That's 2 stealth related, 2 combat related, and 1 multipurpose.
That categorization is questionable as I'm pretty sure it's a forgone conclusion that cool as a whole is stealth focused but not much point in debating that since it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. We'll agree to disagree there

If you want to level the tree associated with CB, use short circuit and/or contaigon to 'kill' groups of enemies, then go over and shoot them all in the head. Do both while crouched and you'll advance your skill XP every time.

Not sure if it's intended behavior or not, however. Took me a while to notice it, but I've since tested it intentionally, and seems to be fairly consistent.

The perk sounds like the opposite of cold blood. More like homicidal maniac.

Glad I never bothered with it. I slow play and prefer stealth. Given that play style I tend not to kill people in rapid succession.

A little icon pops on the corner on screen when Cold Blood is activated it even shows timer. Same as as other consumables and so on.
As with all other perks Cold Blood needs investing in skills and particular play style to get best use of

Guest 4375874

If you want to level the tree associated with CB, use short circuit and/or contaigon to 'kill' groups of enemies, then go over and shoot them all in the head. Do both while crouched and you'll advance your skill XP every time.

Not sure if it's intended behavior or not, however. Took me a while to notice it, but I've since tested it intentionally, and seems to be fairly consistent.
works with contagion as well since it spreads to multiple targets. Especially with the other poison boosting perks.

I think the theme of the Cool stat is less "stealth" and more "discipline". Cool represents coolheadedness. The Stealth tree is how that lets you avoid making mistakes that would lead to detection or drawing attention to yourself. The Cold Blooded tree is how that lets you enter a flow state that makes you more effective in combat, turning you into a mechanical (no pun intended) killing machine.

Or to put this in more fantasy RPG terms, it's not uncommon to see a stat that does different things for different classes. A warrior might use Dex or Agi for attack speed or dodge chance while a thief uses it for sneak speed or for lockpicking success or even bow damage. Int might raise a warrior's SP and MDef, but is used for attacking by a mage. It's not very uncommon for stats to have different uses for different builds. Not everything needs to be Strength to hit hard unga bunga.

Unupgraded Cold Blood is just a mild movement speed buff. A single stack of that isn't unbalanced.
Well, "unbalanced" may be a poor choice of word from my part but let's say that it's not meant for players who're not investing into Stealth in the first place.

I'm at that juncture myself (at 9 Cool for that nice Sniper perk) and I'm heavily debating with myself if I should dump a lot of points into Cold Blood or not.
It does seem rather odd that Cold Blood and Stealth both fall under Cool, since most of the CB buffs encourage and benefit a quick play style.

What I don't get are two things:
How could Cold Blood possibly be viable for a stealth-focused build (not that it has to)?
If I try to get my CB-stacks from stealth-kills, I would have to play way more aggressively than most stealth-focused players would be comfortable with.
I could go on a rampage after I max out my Cold Blood-stacks, since most Cold Blood-buffs do bugger-all to make me better at delivering sleepy-surprise-hugs.

And the other thing is:
By the time I get a full stack of Cold Blood, I would have had to have killed 5 enemies (after leveling up Cold Blood).
So whoop-de-doo, this seems only beneficially in story missions with more enemies, since the vast majority of other enemy-congregations only number around 6 to 8 enemies.
That last guy is soo gonna get it cause I'm gonna vent some frustration at how many perk points I would have put into this up to that point.

Don't get me wrong, Cold Blood seems really great for a melee character.
I just find it odd that it is so closely tied to the Stealth-tree.

Jeyl

Forum regular
The visual mechanic for the 'Cold Blood' tree should have featured ONLY the initial Cold Blood perk, than reveal all the other perks. This would have helped convey the idea that all the other perks that are now reveals are meant to add to the initial perk.

Um, WHAT!!!??

If you played any Borderlands 3, you'll recognize Cold Blood as a "kill skill." It's a series of stacking boons. The more you invest in the line the more boons will trigger on a kill, and these can improve up to a set amount by "stacking" based on multiple kills.

A lot of them correspond to other lines; for example there are two boons for net hacking. The drawback is that you don't get the boons if you don't get a kill and so this isn't a great way to go for boss encounters; on the other hand you can become a murder demon tearing through mobs.

How could Cold Blood possibly be viable for a stealth-focused build (not that it has to)?
Cold Blood is not oriented for a stealth-focused build. It's combat oriented. The entire point of stealth is not being in combat. That said, there are bonuses it provides which are useful to stealth players even if you ignore the Cold Blood buff entirely.
  • 7 Perk Points
  • +20% Crit Chance
  • +10% Crit Damage
  • +3% Movement Speed
  • Frozen Precision (+50% headshot damage)
Additionally, if you spec into the Cold Blood buff (in which case you should invest in all 5 stack increases), there ARE perks useful to stealth players.

• Cold Blood provides up to 10% movement speed increase, allowing for faster sneaking between kills
  • Frosty Synapses provides up to a 30% reduction in cooldown time for quickhacks for Cool/Int builds
  • Quick Transfer provides up to a 10% reduction in upload time for quickhacks for Cool/Int builds
  • Blood Brawl provides up to a 50% increase in melee damage for builds that use knife throwing or melee attacks instead of stealth takedowns
  • Merciless provides +10% Crit Chance and +25% Crit Damage while you have ANY stacks of Cold Blood, again for builds that don't rely on stealth takedowns

By the time I get a full stack of Cold Blood, I would have had to have killed 5 enemies (after leveling up Cold Blood).

Cold and Calculating can get you extra stacks if you use non-takedown kills, but the best way to get max stacks for a stealth build is Bloodswell. You don't need to be in combat to take damage. Find a burning barrel or a 3 story drop and you suddenly have max stacks.

Anyway, while they aren't intended to work together very well, Cold Blood does have Perks to offer stealth focused players. The catch is most of them aren't intended for pure "stealth takedown and hide the body" play. Instead, they work with the playstyle where you focus on sweeping enemy groups before they spot you, either using quickhacks and tech weapons from out of sight or using silenced hit and run tactics. That's where the Stealth/Cold Blood marriage comes into play.

I'm at that juncture myself (at 9 Cool for that nice Sniper perk) and I'm heavily debating with myself if I should dump a lot of points into Cold Blood or not.
It does seem rather odd that Cold Blood and Stealth both fall under Cool, since most of the CB buffs encourage and benefit a quick play style.

What I don't get are two things:
If I try to get my CB-stacks from stealth-kills, I would have to play way more aggressively than most stealth-focused players would be comfortable with.
I could go on a rampage after I max out my Cold Blood-stacks, since most Cold Blood-buffs do bugger-all to make me better at delivering sleepy-surprise-hugs.

And the other thing is:
So whoop-de-doo, this seems only beneficially in story missions with more enemies, since the vast majority of other enemy-congregations only number around 6 to 8 enemies.
That last guy is soo gonna get it cause I'm gonna vent some frustration at how many perk points I would have put into this up to that point.

Don't get me wrong, Cold Blood seems really great for a melee character.
I just find it odd that it is so closely tied to the Stealth-tree.

There is a perk that grants you full stack cold blood when your health drops to 40%, and another that grants you a cold blood stack 25% of a time when you land a crit.. plus another perk that makes cold blood go down a stack one by one, instead of all at once....

So you're saying if I want to ghost a mission with a full stack of CB, I either have to stick my hand in a woodchipper or step on a Lego-piece barefoot?

So you're saying if I want to ghost a mission with a full stack of CB, I either have to stick my hand in a woodchipper or step on a Lego-piece barefoot?

its practically an ADRENALINE boost... just named differently... how do you get adrenaline boost in real life??

Besides, with a perk that gives you 1/4 chance to apply a cold blood stack with a critical hit, means you can have a fast firing weapon (SMG or pistol) with high crit chance and practically apply the CB with a short burst.... or if you use revolver with high crit chance, every 4th shot will add a CB stack.....

Cold blood combined with my quickhacks and shotgun usage make me feel unstoppable. Also, smart weapons make it so I don't have to aim when moving fast and keeping my cold blood streak going.

Last edited:
Quick tip to level up Cold Blood.

After killing an enemy shoot them in the head, (if you didn't kill them that way initially) will give you extra xp in the cold blood stat..
Also adds to the RP element.. making sure they're dead :p

After killing an enemy shoot them in the head, (if you didn't kill them that way initially) will give you extra xp in the cold blood stat..
omg so cruel ! just shoot leg or arm . you silly ~\O/~
nu nu nuuu

I might have been doing this anyway already.
I mean, why would I leave behind a bunch of pissed off gangers who can ID me and who would most likely jump me later on my way home after they healed up?
No loose ends.

Top Bottom