HELP THE GAME iS NOT WORKING "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)

+
As you saw the title, I was playing yesterday, and now its not launching. It just won't. Ive tried setting my game to administrator mode. Ive tried using commands to put into cmd to find the lost DLLs, I tried System File Checker (SFC). Not working. Ive tried uninstalling the C++ 2012 x64 and reinstalling it. It didnt work. I updated everything on my pc. Still nothing. I cant launch the game at all. Somebody please help lol, someone told me to delete my windows and to reinstall it but I really dont want to do that.

My game is from Steam- GOTY
GTX1070 TI
Ryzen 7 1700x 8 core
8gb ram
Windows 10

I have mods, but theyre all visual mods and reshade. I made sure to use script merger. Reallllllllly desperate

Edit: haha I forgot to mention the games name, Its Witcher 3 GOTY

Last edited:
Hmmm. Puzzling. Does the game run at all, if you remove your mods?

Other than that, I suppose you could reach out to Support about this. They may have some other suggestions.
After deleting all my mods, and deleting the DLC file and verifying integrity, still nothing

Considering that game hasn't changed at all, so if it stopped working it sounds like it's either something that changed on your computer or a mod that is still interfering. Never had that issue before but according to a quick google search it seems like that error message is often caused by missing DLL files.

In some cases that might be GPU driver related too. Or maybe even Visual C++ related. So maybe reinstalling these can help, as explained here:

In general, I'd also remove all mod traces manually, because sometimes mod files remain even after uninstalling.

But you can also contact support with the link that was already mentioned (or use the link I just mentioned and click on Contact Us to send a ticket to CDPR support).

Top Bottom