[Help] what does boots with +X armor piercing means ?

+
[Help] what does boots with +X armor piercing means ?

As the title says I found those random boots somewhere ... boots that actually add damage ? if im not wrong this is about +55 armor piercing which is more than any rune that iv'e seen.
Is there also a way to see armor piercing total ? I tried clicking "c" while at inventory screen but no armor piercing anywhere
Thanks!

Damage doesn't necessarily mean armor piercing, I think. It basically means it adds more damage towards your usual DPS. Armor piercing is about how much damage it does towards your enemies armor. (correct me if I'm wrong though).
But why your boots add an unknown amount of damage, I don't know for sure. Maybe it's because the item you found, is way above your level?

Damage doesn't necessarily mean armor piercing, I think. It basically means it adds more damage towards your usual DPS. Armor piercing is about how much damage it does towards your enemies armor. (correct me if I'm wrong though).
But why your boots add an unknown amount of damage, I don't know for sure. Maybe it's because the item you found, is way above your level?

Thanks for reply, i was just talking in general at the title, my boots actually give +55 armor piercing but I can't see any indication of armor-piercing attribute so I can't know if they work and if those are the best boots in the game since they practically an armor that boost damage ? :D

jj284b

Forum veteran
If it actually works, then such bonus applies to both steel and silver sword...but would be cool to be able to see actual AP bonus character has..

The way things usually work in games is that some of the total damage is mitigated by the targets armour. I would guess that +XX penetration means XX damage is not mitigated by armour i.e. it is applied straight to the target. The exact calculation and what is additive or multiplicative etc. is hard to know.

Edit: I should have said piercing rather that penetrate but they are synonymous as Patoson pointed out.

Last edited:
Pierce = penetrate. So my guess is that, with armour piercing, you will deal more damage to, say, humans with heavy armour.

jj284b

Forum veteran
Question is if that value is added to the damage, or it means this amount of damage is armor piercing..

Pretty sure the value is not added towards your total damage you're doing to every enemy, but only adds damage to enemies that actually wear armor.

They are "Condotteri Boots", the bonus is presumably to reflect the style of combat of the dualist. Fairly pointless IMO. Armour is minor compared to your total damage dealt (or if not the bonus relief is too small to make much odds). Makes the difference between dying on the second blow of a flurry of attacks and mid-way through the flurry under whirl for most of my common enemies. <Shrug>

Armour is already reduced/negated by strong attacks, so this only benefits fast attack styles. I have a pair but didn't use them much... preferring the passive boosts that other sets gave. YMMV

YazX

Forum regular
easy answer with this example (numbers are made up and not real) :

Enemy with Armor health : 1000
You do damage with each strike : 100 (means you need 10 strikes to kill an enemy with armor)

if boots has +55, then each strike will be 155 instead of 100, thus less strikes to kill the enemy.

same applies for everything else.

Last edited:
easy answer with this example (numbers are made up and not real) :

Enemy with Armor health : 1000
You do damage with each strike : 100 (means you need 10 strikes to kill an enemy with armor)

if boots has +55, then each strike will be 155 instead of 100, thus less strikes to kill the enemy.

same applies for everything else.
that is not right that will add 55 dmg. but will add more dmg.
Armor piercing means how much will you penetrate enemy's armor.

example...
if your total dmg is 1000 and the enemy has 200 armor. its armor will reduce your damage, lets say... 20% ( just a random number)
then you would deal 800 damage. but the armor piercing will reduce that 20% of the enemy dmg reduction.
not that you will deal the raw armor piercing number as dmg.
It will reduce the enemy's armor efficiency, lets say that. ;D
hope i was clear enough =D

In Witcher 2 and I guess in 3, armor rating was literally how much damage is being reduced.

If a drowner hits for 30, but your armor is 17, you only receive 13 damage.

Same goes for human foes. You hit them with 30 damage, but they have 10 armor and thus they only receive 20 damage. Armor penetration means that certain damage skips armor completely.

Sword damage 30 and armor penetration 5 on a foe with 10 armor means they will receive 25 damage.

On animals and other beasts without armor it won't add damage :). So 30 sword damage + 5 armor penetration will still mean only 30 damage.

Hope I was clear.

Top Bottom