Help with controller type on PC

+
Help with controller type on PC

I want to get the most widely supported model of controller. Yes, I've tried emulators and had very mixed results. I just want to plug a controller in and play the few games I own which really do work best with a controller. My guess is Microsoft controllers will be supported the most, so either an xbox or xbox one controller. Do I even need to bother with the more expensive xbox one model? Any advice or further suggestions for emulators is welcome. I currently own a PS3 controller.

If you play game in Steam i think you should go with Steam controller (from what i know maybe it work outside steam, you should do some research though), new one, look interesting, cheap (only 50$), highly customize etc. It can also simulate K+M so mostly it support every games (but don't even try to play dota, moba game with it). My controller still in the air right now, can't wait to get my hand on it :p

And xbox one controller is also nice one, problem you need to buy a wireless adapter (25$) if you want play game wirelessly (and also it support every games that can play by controller, the same go with xbox 360 one).

Don't bother with the new elite model, of course it is a very nice controller but with 150$ price is no-go. For the price of that controller you can get 1 steam controller and 2 xbox one :lol:

Last edited:
I think you are right, the XBox 360 controller for the PC is widely supported. I previously used a PS3 controller with XInput Wrapper in Win 7 and it worked very well. Games think it's an XB360 gamepad so the on-screen buttons don't match the physical buttons, but all functions work (force feedback, analog sticks, etc.).

I'm hoping the Steam controller will feature open source firmware and drivers. Maybe it can become the ultimate PC gamepad.

I asked this same question a few months ago. I ended up getting an Xbox360 controller. It works just fine with The Witcher 3 and Metal Gear Solid V. You can find them on sale for as low as $20, much less than the XboxOne controller. Black Friday sales are next week, so I'd shop then.

PS4 controllers also work, but they require more fiddling. Stay away from Logitech controllers.

I've heard Xbox One controller has some serious problems with wireless mode (because of the receiver having some DRM that restricts its usage). I.e. it's not widely supported at all, but wired scenario is supposed to work better.

It could be interesting to experiment with Steam Controller, but I'd avoid it until they'll open up the firmware or someone will reverse engineer it, since now it can't be reconfigured without Steam.

Last edited:
I'd much rather use a wireless but I believe the Xbone model requires Windows 10, which I'm unsure about upgrading to. Looks like xbox wired is the safest and cheapest route. Thanks guys.

I'd much rather use a wireless but I believe the Xbone model requires Windows 10, which I'm unsure about upgrading to. Looks like xbox wired is the safest and cheapest route. Thanks guys.

Yeah, not only it doesn't work on Linux in wireless mode, it doesn't even work on other Windows besides 10. That's what happens when stupid business people are designing things instead of engineers.

I want to get the most widely supported model of controller. Yes, I've tried emulators and had very mixed results. I just want to plug a controller in and play the few games I own which really do work best with a controller. My guess is Microsoft controllers will be supported the most, so either an xbox or xbox one controller. Do I even need to bother with the more expensive xbox one model? Any advice or further suggestions for emulators is welcome. I currently own a PS3 controller.

I strongly suggest going with the 360 controller. It works with everything and had no problems with it. I'm using the wired version because I hate charging batteries and always forget about it. I prefer the 360 version over the XO simply because the bumpers on the latter are not as comfortable IMO.

Last edited:
At the risk of being a couple of weeks late, if you like the shape of the PS3 controller, you might want to think about Logitech's F710 (or F310 if you want wired) controllers. They're shapped like a Dualshock but are fully compatible with both x-input and d-input, so they work in place of Xbox controllers as well as with older games that predate it.

Top Bottom