• Stay the same

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Go back to before

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Completely new direction

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
Here is my "position" on this update.

Now I haven't played it extensively yet so this is just my experience so far. Here it goes..........................................................!??!WHAT!??!

Seriously I'm confused. What is the point of this "ADJACENT" update "AMONG" this beta. Do you see how confusing that sentence was because that is what some these new card descriptions sound like.
I mean I had no clue what the card was gonna do until I played it. Well maybe not no clue, but pretty damn close. I knew Radovid was gonna lock some cards and remove strength from cards. But which cards? There are a bunch of cards like that now. As for placing the cards where you want, I don't see much of an advantage or disadvantage yet, to making that decision. It seems like most buff cards are buffing cards to the left of them which isn't much of a change. Now onto the worst part of the update IMHO. Iorveth, Roche, and Triss not targeting gold cards anymore. What's with that s**t? COME ON, the only reason I put those cards in my deck was for this specific reason. Triss is basically the same as Sile. They both remove 4 strength. You might as well make her silver now, Hell I'm pretty sure there are a few bronze cards that remove the same if not more strength from opposing cards. It makes no sense. It's not like they were OP so why the nerf? Well that's my take on things so far. What about everyone else? Should things stay the same, go back to the way they were, or go in a completely new direction?

There is alot of odd stuff in the patch, positioning is not among them. Gold cards no longer target other golds to create room for Gold cards with 4 or less HP and powerfull effects (like Yen:Con).

I appreciate your opinion. Lets just agree to disagree, There are other ways to destroy gold cards, Its not like those cards were making things unbalanced, Now they are useless, They should have at least given them a new abilty. Now they are just glorified silvers.

i mean all these types of cards say "adjacent" cards, buffing to its adjacent cards, takes 4 strength away 3 adjacent cards, locks 3 adjacent cards. what exactly is confusing for you? there has been a bug which i saw only with hawker healers that they sometimes buff units NOT adjacent to them but that's most likely a bug.
regarding roche iorveth and triss as well as radovid it seems they want gold cards to be game changing, so a player just doesn't kill his/her opponent's gold card with his/her own gold card. they instead changed shackles to locking and demoting any card.

I completely agree with the original poster. The more I play this patch, the less I like it. It feels rushed. I have nothing against the positioning mechanic, in fact I think it's a positive addition. But the introduction of the new Shackles together with the diappearance of gold snipers has put many gold cards in a very awkward position (Triss, Iorveth, Succubus). Two changes as huge as those should have come alongside complete reworks of the affected cards. A bronze card nullifying a gold card is absurd. Gold cards need to be powerful, which is not to say unbalanced, that's why they use a precious gold slot, of which we only have 4. Choosing the right gold cards goes a long way towards giving similar decks a distinct flavour, and with the current changes we will see less variety. If this is how the game is going to be from now on, the whole concept of what a gold card does needs to change, because right now having expensive cards that occupy a gold slot shut down with a miserable bronze is ludicrous.

And let's forget about weather, because by the looks of it the devs actually want us to forget about it. It really looks like they wanted to remove it from the game without officially removing it from the game.

In my opinion this is possibly the worst patch since the closed beta came out (although the one that brought us Mardroeme and the infamous Poor Fukcing Infantry combo was pretty bad too).

Ruthless95;n8217830 said:
regarding roche iorveth and triss as well as radovid it seems they want gold cards to be game changing, so a player just doesn't kill his/her opponent's gold card with his/her own gold card. they instead changed shackles to locking and demoting any card.

Well, if that's the case, why did we go from "killing your opponent's gold with your own gold" to "killing your opponent's gold with your own *bronze*"? As far as I can see, the new patch does the exact opposite of making gold cards game changing, when they can be nullified with a simple bronze. I don't see how this is better than having gold cards counter other gold cards if the goal is to make gold cards game changing.

I'm not quite sure why Triss has her current effect. Roche with his statline in NR + 5 damage serves as a decent enough unit; can be run to drop an Alzur's Thunder earlier on if he's one of the Golds you have for NR (probably not as useful later on). Iorveth I honestly don't mind. His strength + 6 damage and the ability to bounce with Eithne is fine with me. Would always be nice to shrek Golds too, but he's strong enough to be playable in most ST decks right now. Triss is neutral so I understand why they don't balance her around Sile since she's NR-only, but considering how often you'd find yourself in a position to only need 4 damage removal when you can just run Alzur or Manticore to greater effect while having another useful Gold instead makes her awkward.

tortugueta;n8220900 said:
Well, if that's the case, why did we go from "killing your opponent's gold with your own gold" to "killing your opponent's gold with your own *bronze*"? As far as I can see, the new patch does the exact opposite of making gold cards game changing, when they can be nullified with a simple bronze. I don't see how this is better than having gold cards counter other gold cards if the goal is to make gold cards game changing.

that's something every can afford, so i don't get punished for not having enough scraps or money to get the legendary roche triss and iorveth. onlt people who complain about this are the ones who used these cards, i understand it hurts on your side but think it this way, for killing a gold of your opponent you no longer have to carry gold cards. a bronze will do the job

Remember this game is still in closed beta, so rather than berating their decisions try to offer constructive criticism. I don't really see what's confusing about "adjacent" positioning... maybe a quick google search of the word might clear it up for you. I agree with the change to not be able to target golds, however I also think they should have changed the cards you mentioned because it did essentially make them dead (Iorveth still has some merit with its decent removal and str). So really it comes down to D-shackles contradicting their idea of gold units being untouchable. It is a bit of a double standard.

I actually like the positioning changes in theory, but they don't seem to have too much of a purpose yet. It also seems to take away the entire point of rows, which is a bad thing but that's just me. It can definitely become very important with new cards, but what they've done is change cards that definitely shouldn't have been (Thunderbolt potion....just why?).

Positioning is nice. Other changes... well, not so nice. I dont understand why Roche / Triss / Iorweth were destroyed, also no more big potions buff for witchers, D Shackles etc. These are steps back.

If you didn't read the patch notes or watch the twitch episode, I can see why you could be confused about positioning. Personally, I think it adds another deeper layer of strategy to the game to those who can utilize it.

On to the gold being invincible problem. Having D-shackles affecting gold cards is absolutely ridiculous of them, and largely goes against what they said. I do agree that golds should be largely invulnerable but not totally. What I want to happen is either there needs to be a token ( like the timer on the side of the card) that shows a visual indication that a card can affect gold cards or standardize by saying only natural gold cards affect natural gold cards (by this I mean D-bomb/shackles working on a NR monster promoted to gold). This current thing about a bronze hitting a gold is plain stupid while the silver counter parts, cleaver and auckes, cannot.

Ruthless95;n8229870 said:
that's something every can afford, so i don't get punished for not having enough scraps or money to get the legendary roche triss and iorveth. onlt people who complain about this are the ones who used these cards, i understand it hurts on your side but think it this way, for killing a gold of your opponent you no longer have to carry gold cards. a bronze will do the job

If I understand correctly, what you're saying is that the devs want to make gold cards less important so that new players feel less punished for not having them? Well, in your previous post you seemed to say that the devs want to make gold cards game changing, so it's either one or the other.

Either case: if it's the first, I think it's not a good idea to upset the bronze-gold balance just because new players can't wait for a couple of weeks to get some golds. Doesn't make much sense to me to trade the long term enjoyment of the game for two marginally less punishing initial weeks (I'm fine with making the game more accessible to new players, I just don't think making gold cards suck will do the trick). If it's the second, well I already said it, making Shackles bronze does the opposite of making gold cards game changing.

In short: I have no idea what the purpose of the devs is. Part of that is because I can't read their minds, and the other part is because this patch is completely all over the place and doesn't seem to have any purpose or direction, which is exactly why I don't like it overall, regardless of individual changes.

And please, do not fall into the childish "argument" of "only people who complain are those who use the cards". I don't even have Iorveth or Roche in my collection, but I can see how they are left in the dust anyway. My issue is not so much with specific cards but with the overall lack of clear purpose and contradictory changes in the patch. Having said that, this being a closed beta makes it certainly the best moment to make big changes and see how they go.

Last edited:
tortugueta;n8235370 said:
If I understand correctly, what you're saying is that the devs want to make gold cards less important so that new players feel less punished for not having them? Well, in your previous post you seemed to say that the devs want to make gold cards game changing, so it's either one or the other.

yes that's what i mean golds will be game changing. that means less "my legendary gold beats your shitty epic gold" but a bronze card can beat both of our golds. where did you see i say they want to make them less important? this way all gold cards excluding triss iorveth and roche are more evened out and actually stand a chance where as before they got smashed by those 3 cards immediately

Last edited:
I also like the positioning changes. and most of the balance changes. A few of the balance changes are interesting to stay the least. Lets see how it all settles out.

After playing a little bit more with the new patch. I would like to clarify some things. I wrote this in haste right after skimming the patch notes. To be clear I know what the word adjacent means. When I said it seemed confusing that was towards the descriptions as a whole not the individual words. After thoroughly playing and re-reading the changed abilities they do make sense. I really dont know what it was that confused me, but it seemed overly complicated at first. But after playing for a while I can see its merits. I do still like how it was before positioning but im not totally against it. As for the gold not targeting gold situation, my opinion stands. Those cards were not overpowered and you could use them in any deck ( meaning triss). Its not as if they made it impossible to damage gold cards, i think its easier now with being able to have 3 Dshackles in your deck. So I dont see the point. They could have at least reworked their abilities instead of nerfing them. Anyway thanks for your input, its always appreciated.

Top Bottom